What makes you stand out as a professional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycholytic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please

Can you guys talk about, what makes you stand out, different , espacially recognized in your particular area?

What did you do to reach that point in your life, and why do you think you got to where you are today?:)

Members don't see this ad.

Please

Can you guys talk about, what makes you stand out, different , espacially recognized in your particular area?

What did you do to reach that point in your life, and why do you think you got to where you are today?:)

34 views, no post?

C'mon, don't be so reluctant, you all must have something that makes you special?

34 views, no post?

C'mon, don't be so reluctant, you all must have something that makes you special?

Mom says I'm special by just being me.:hungover:

Uh... I can say that I'm different than peers because of my integrative approach (i.e. not many people I know will combine existentialism and neuroscience).

Members don't see this ad :)
My medical training and experience...... I work in primary care and teach in a PC residency; this is the future of psych.

Mom says I'm special by just being me.:hungover:

Uh... I can say that I'm different than peers because of my integrative approach (i.e. not many people I know will combine existentialism and neuroscience).

LOL, maybe mom knows best:D

It is a unique combination ; interesting. I would like to hear a bit about how you apply it. Would you let me know?

My medical training and experience...... I work in primary care and teach in a PC residency; this is the future of psych.

I believe so too. It is my primary interest as well.

If you want to , could you (if you find some time) briefly outline a more typical work day?

I think, it is highly interesting to know how everyone applies diverse knowledge thats drawn from psychology's many areas to real life settings.

Thanks

I'd say a diverse experience which incorporates my clinical training with my biz and consulting experience. I think one of the biggest short-comings of many clinicians in private practice is the lack of solid business skills. I'll be bridging the gap.....for a price. :laugh:

I think being flexible is very helpful. On the one hand you want to differentiate yourself by saying, "I do XXXXXXXXX", though you also don't want to completely pigeon hole yourself.

-t

my background in neuroscience and biology, my patience (I perform 6+ hour batteries on schizophrenic geriatric people), my enthusiasm / friendliness / openness / good rapport, and my devotion to the field (I've known I wanted to do this since I was a child and haven't turned back since).

A combination of specialized training and clinical flexibility, along with a track record of solid research.

I'm a sexy bastard.

What business are you in?
......I thought you were a psychologist.

BUT,---------I WOULD ACTUALLY LIKE TO SEE IF THAT'S TRUE, lol

I'm a sexy bastard.

I think it sucks that remarks like this one intend to shut down a thread. Sad....

Better start doing that on your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's.

Eh, Jon is just being Jon....we won't close the thread for that.

So who else has something (on topic) to contribute?

-t

Yeah, Jon is definitely being Jon.
What I meant was, that he knows how his remarks put some people off, and counts on that, thereby initiating that people stay away from the thread . That is what I meant by shutting it down.

I did not mean that you would shut it down.

Anyhow.....

What is something (open to everyone) that you do now, that you didn't think you'd be doing, while back in grad school? (Worded funny...but it is late...hopefully it makes sense...g'night all!)

-t

Telling people the truth. There is a line in a book I read a few years back by Stephen King where the psych says "I made the biggest mistake a psychiatrist can make, I told my patient the truth". We are trained to beat around the bush to some degree, and in private practice we have to, but in primary care I have to say what is going on or I am no good to anyone...it is refreshing.:cool:

Telling people the truth. There is a line in a book I read a few years back by Stephen King where the psych says "I made the biggest mistake a psychiatrist can make, I told my patient the truth". We are trained to beat around the bush to some degree, and in private practice we have to, but in primary care I have to say what is going on or I am no good to anyone...it is refreshing.:cool:

I like this one, I tuly do. I always hated psych-trained people who are unclear about the issues that relate to a client's problem.

Especially clients who want to communicate with their therapist to understand exactely what is going on must be incredibly frustrated if they never get an answer that points into a clear direction. I bet that's often found in pschoanalytic therapy (more often than in other's due to the nature of work).

Why do we have to in private practice?