What needs most improvement? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TODDS2BE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I applied for admission to Dental schools, but I was rejected by most school; waitlisted at BU. I havent heard anything from NYU and Detroit Mercy. I applied late in November.
My GPA - 3.15
Science GPA - 3.25
BCP GPA - 3.50
Non-science GPA - 2.55

DAT in December 2004
= AA - 21, Bio - 20, GC - 25, OC - 18, RC - 22, QR - 17, PAT - 17

I have been working at a dental office for two years.

I am not a bio major. I only have Genetics as my higher level bio course. I am taking Biochemistry in summer.
My question is if you were reviewing my application, what would you think is worst part of my application? What should I work hard the most at?

Members don't see this ad.

TODDS2BE said:
Hi guys,
I applied for admission to Dental schools, but I was rejected by most school; waitlisted at BU. I havent heard anything from NYU and Detroit Mercy. I applied late in November.
My GPA - 3.15
Science GPA - 3.25
BCP GPA - 3.50
Non-science GPA - 2.55

DAT in December 2004

I am not a bio major. I only have Genetics as my higher level bio course. I am taking Biochemistry in summer.
My question is if you were reviewing my application, what would you think is worst part of my application? What should I work hard the most at?

your biggest problem may have been the late application. i'm guessing you would have gotten in somewhere with your stats if you had applied in june. but that is neither here nor there. your DAT is fine. i wouldn't bother retaking it to increase your PAT, unless you really think you can get it up to 19 or 20 without dropping your fantastic AA.

so if you don't get accepted anywhere, concentrate on making A's... bring that GPA up a .1 or .2 points, apply early, and you will definitely get in :thumbup:

interestingly enough, i added your 5 subscores that count for academic average and got a 102. i divided it by 5 to get 20.4. i was under the assumption that DAT rounded to the nearest point which should theoretically make his AA a 20. anyone know about this? perhaps my AA assumption is off (although i'm sure i read it in materials from dental admissions testing program).

Members don't see this ad :)
You are right. I just checked my DAT again.
Biology - 21
OC - 19
RC - 21
Everything else is the same.

pick up your gpa and take more upper level biology classes. if i were you i wouldn't worry too much about the DAT; 20 should be good enough. two years of work in a dental office is plenty. apply earlier next cycle. if you haven't already done it, research schools that do not put as much weight on gpa and apply to them. get an interview, nail it and good luck in school.

TODDS2BE said:
Hi guys,
My GPA - 3.15
Science GPA - 3.25
BCP GPA - 3.50
Non-science GPA - 2.55

DAT in December 2004

Do apply early.
Your stats are fine.

I am more confused about DAT. I think I can improve QR, OC and PAT. I dont know if I should write DAT again or not. My GPA is going to improve after this semester grades. I got 3.80 in fall/winter.

Taking the DAT again isn't worth it. Your scores there are fine.

Your 3.8 this past semester is good because it shows an upward grade trend (I'm assuming). It probably won't raise your GPA much at all though (how many credits do you have?). Perhaps to a 3.2 or so if you are near the end of your education.

You need to apply early (as in 4 weeks from now). Also, apply to different schools if you need to. Do some research as to where you would fit best (good DAT scores and mediocre grades).

Good luck!

I agree that probably the thing that hurt you most was your late application. Whenever my pre-professional advisor would try to scare students into applying early she would recall a few examples of past students with stellar grades and scores whom applied late (Nov., Dec) and were rejected only to be accepted next cycle when they applied in May. Thus I believe you will be met with much better success if you submit your application in May during this cycle - and you don't need to retake the DAT. ;) Best of luck!