What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yenotik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Credentials:
Graduated Summa cum Laude, 3.94 GPA + honors
highest GRE math 740, verbal 570, psych 630
Recipient of Claire Thompson Award (psych)
Psi Chi National Honor Society in Psychology, Lambda Kappa Phi Honor Society in St. John’s College, Lambda Pi Eta National Communication Honor Society
Presented at Eastern Psychological Conference in 2007 and 2008 as Psi Chi Presenter
Initiated my own research project resulting in its presentation at EPA 2008
Two clinical internships, one of which I am still doing and where I am now a member of a projet

Schools I applied to:
U Maryland College Park - rejected
Drexel - rejected
Adelphi - rejected after interview
Queens CUNY - rejected
Syracuse - waitlisted
UConn - haven't heard back, but no interview
Columbia - haven't heard back, but no interview
Fordham - rejected
Hofstra - rejected
StonyBrook - rejected
Fairleigh Dickinson - rejected
Binghamton - rejected
Suffolk - rejected

So what now?!?!
I applied to a few masters programs - not that I really want those, but I don't want to give up yet!
I don't know what to do anymore, does anybody have any advice or ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't give up on being waitlisted yet. A lot of us on this forum appear to have gotten in this way.

But what you could do is start looking for RA jobs--that's what I did (though it was a little awkward when I had to withdraw my apps later, heh).

Last edited:
I definitely know how you feel. I applied this year with excellent (I thought) credentials, and I have been rejected everywhere except one school, where I am currently in the number one spot on the wait-list. I was number one on the wait-list at another school, then I was rejected. The POI there told me that what led her to choose the other applicant over me was the other applicant's master's degree. I applied this year as a senior in undergrad (graduating in May), so I think that a lot of more experienced applicants edged me out, even though I had good credentials. Another factor may have been that other applicants' interests were a closer fit than mine. I don't know what your situation is, but for me, I am going to work in a lab for a while or get a master's and make sure that I apply to work with professors whose interests are a perfect fit. As a wise grad student told me, your scores and credentials don't get you in, they just keep you from being throw out of the pile. In other words, it's a crap shoot :p

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like you restricted yourself to only schools in the northeast. I, by no means want to offend you, but usually that means that you are setting yourself up for failure. I am having a hard time imagining that so many schools in one area of the country have professors that have the same research interest as you do. I have a very specific research interest and found ~25 professors in all kinds of programs all over the US. I ende up applying to ~14, mainly because some of them weren't taking students. Did you find out whether these professors were taking students this year?
Your stats, indeed, seem to be awesome, so getting no acceptances might be due to the aforementioned issues.

Don't give up on the waitlist, You never know. I would definitely get your masters. That is probably the one thing that is holding you back from getting into a Doctoral program.
If you have some schools you really want to go to, I would wait and get the MA and then re-apply. You will definitely get more interviews the next time around!
It might be a good idea to go for the masters at the school where you want to get your doctorate to network w/ professors and get maximum credit transfer!

Ehh, it depends on the program. Some like having your Masters and some don't.

Thanks for the responses, everyone, I really appreciate it. I know that I limited myself to the Northeast but I have certain reasons that limit me from moving any further. The programs and schools I applied to, I did so because I found professors there that were accepting students and had the same research interests as myself. I'm looking into working in a lab, although right now I intern at a hospital and I am assisting the doctor I work with her new study. I graduated undergraduate in 3.5 years - maybe I'm just too young at this point, I don't know. I knew what I was getting myself into because going for a PhD without a masters is pretty risky, but I thought I had *some* chance. Right now I am hoping for Seton Hall MS in Experimental Psych.

Additionally, some of the schools to which you applied (Binghampton, Stony Brook, Drexel, maybe UMCP) are among the most competitive in the country. Also, what program did you apply to at Columbia? IIRC, they don't have a clinical program...

Thanks for the responses, everyone, I really appreciate it. I know that I limited myself to the Northeast but I have certain reasons that limit me from moving any further. The programs and schools I applied to, I did so because I found professors there that were accepting students and had the same research interests as myself. I'm looking into working in a lab, although right now I intern at a hospital and I am assisting the doctor I work with her new study. I graduated undergraduate in 3.5 years - maybe I'm just too young at this point, I don't know. I knew what I was getting myself into because going for a PhD without a masters is pretty risky, but I thought I had *some* chance. Right now I am hoping for Seton Hall MS in Experimental Psych.

I don't think it's risky at all. I am in clinical, most programs accept students with only a BA or BS, maybe that is something you can look at in terms of the type or profile of students the program accept (I.E. GRE's scores, # of students accepted with a masters vs. BA/BS).

I think it's pretty amazing that you found that many schools in that specific area that all had research interests that aligned pefectly with yours. This is usually part of the issue when students don't get in who have stellar credentials such as yours. Also does the research you're doing now align with the research that your POI's are conducting?

My suggestion also would not be to give up on a PhD just yet, and even just taking a year off and doing more research would make all the difference. A master's seems to be useful when a student is making up for a deficit in their qualifications (you seem to have none) or when they are not certain about their research interests (I don't know if you fit here)... So I think it would be better to hold off and just reapply next year if you don't get in off of the waitlist. Good LUCK !:luck:

I agree with FruedianSlip. I have been told by many that a master's degree is a waste of money if you know you want a PhD (think, paying vs. being paid). I worked for three years out of undergrad, one at a crisis center, two as an RA, and my lack of a master's degree was not a problem. In fact the VAST majority of my fellow interviewees didn't have a master's degree.

I will agree with those who say that you by no means need a Masters to get into a Ph.D program. It's a good route for some people who need to gain credentials they were unable to get as an undergrad, but it's not a necessary step for everyone.

I am a student at one of the schools you listed and, although I came in with an MS, I was in the minority. Also, although your credentials are solid, you haven't had a lot of time to gain some of the research experience that other applicants very likely had. In our program, for example, we rarely accept applicants who didn't take at least a year or two off after undergrad to do research. I would recommend working as an RA for a while to really show the depth of your commitment to your area of interest.

In our program, for example, we rarely accept applicants who didn't take at least a year or two off after undergrad to do research. I would recommend working as an RA for a while to really show the depth of your commitment to your area of interest.

This. Applicants to top Ph.D. programs often have worked full-time for two years as an RA after undergrad. In my opinion, this is generally preferable to getting a masters. Most top research-oriented Ph.D. programs prefer to see an RA position rather than a masters. Also, you get paid. This is a good thing.

I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart and killed me
--- and tore me to pieces
and threw every piece into a fire
as they burned it hurt because

i'm glad i got burned think of all the things we've learned for the people who are still alive.
I have been looking at your picture forever and every time I thought- that looks so familiar. Tonight I realized where it was from! Best game ending ever/best song ever.

I will agree with those who say that you by no means need a Masters to get into a Ph.D program. It's a good route for some people who need to gain credentials they were unable to get as an undergrad, but it's not a necessary step for everyone.

I am a student at one of the schools you listed and, although I came in with an MS, I was in the minority. Also, although your credentials are solid, you haven't had a lot of time to gain some of the research experience that other applicants very likely had. In our program, for example, we rarely accept applicants who didn't take at least a year or two off after undergrad to do research. I would recommend working as an RA for a while to really show the depth of your commitment to your area of interest.

I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart and killed me
--- and tore me to pieces
and threw every piece into a fire
as they burned it hurt because

i'm glad i got burned think of all the things we've learned for the people who are still alive.
I have been looking at your picture forever and every time I thought- that looks so familiar. Tonight I realized where it was from! Best game ending ever/best song ever.

Haha. Awesome! I agree, Portal is an incredible game.

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their posts, I really appreciate any and all advice/comments/suggestions given! For an update...
In the last week I was contacted by the POI at the school where I was waitlisted, spoke with him on the phone and was invited to come up and meet him, other faculty, etc. *Fingers crossed*
I was also called by a master's program I applied to and asked to set up a phone interview.

Guess it's not entirely hopeless.

So in the last few weeks, I went on an interview off the waitlist for Syracuse. Not crazy about the program, but haven't heard back from them anyway so not sure what to make of it.

I'm looking at my Master's options which include Columbia and Seton Hall. My end goal is neuropsychology, and I am not sure which is a better option for a masters. Both have the same credit requirements, huge difference in money, but not factoring that in yet. The courses are very different.

Seton Hall MS
36 credits – 2 tracks
General Psychology
Behavioral Neuroscience

Research design and analysis I [C]
Research design and analysis II [C]
4 semesters independent research [C]
Abnormal psychology
Biological basis of behavior [BNS]
Cognition [BNS]
Conditioning and behavior [BNS]
Developmental psychology
Foundations of neuropsychology [BNS]
Perception [BNS]
Principles of learning and behavior modification
Psychopharmacology [BNS]
Social psychology
Tests and measurements

Columbia MA
36 credits – 2 tracks
[18 credits must be in clinical psych]
General Psychology
Personality and Psychopathology*

Adult Personality and Psychopathology
Development and Psychopathology: Atypical context and populations
Child Psychopathology
Introduction to Cognitive Behavior Therapy
Comparative Psychotherapies
Psychotherapy, Religious Diversity, and Spirituality
Interpersonal Psychotherapy
Social Problems for Clinical Psychologists
Psychology of Loss and Trauma
Introduction to Applied Psychology
Psychology of Adjustment
Mother-Child Matrix
Research Perspectives on critical social problems
Psychotherapy through fiction and film
Women and mental health
Introduction to forensic psychology
Fieldwork in applied psychology
Research methods in clinical psychology
Methods of Empirical Research
Understanding Behavioral research
Probability and Statistical Interference
Applied Regression Analysis
Introduction to Measurement
Childhood Disorders
Behavioral Management in the Classroom
Family as context for child development
Addictions and dependencies
Social policy and prevention
HIV/AIDS epidemiology and education
Death education
Women's Health
Psychology of Thinking
Developmental Psychology: infancy
Developmental Psychology: childhood
Developmental Psychology: adolescence
Developmental Psychology: adulthood/lifespan
Educational Psychology
Health promotion for children
Human sexuality education
Cognition and Learning

I'm worried that if I go into something too specialized, it will not be looked at positively by a PhD program. At the same time, irrelevant courses may be viewed in the same light.

Any advice?
Thanks!

Last edited:
if i were in your shoes, i wouldn't bother with the masters. i'd continue with the clinical work and try to do something neuropsychology research related. if you could publish your research i think that would be a big boost to your app. i dont know if i would take the GRE over again (with all the effort that it takes), but if you could get your verbal and your psych subject test score up that would probably help
:luck:

if i were in your shoes, i wouldn't bother with the masters. i'd continue with the clinical work and try to do something neuropsychology research related. if you could publish your research i think that would be a big boost to your app. i dont know if i would take the GRE over again (with all the effort that it takes), but if you could get your verbal and your psych subject test score up that would probably help
:luck:

I agree 100%. With all of your credentials I think you've already shown that you can handle the rigors of graduate level work, and a master's would just be unnecessary (especially because of the cost). Some research experience for a year would be a great idea! Good luck :)

Agree with the above, in addition to looking at your fit with the program. Its hard when you are limited geographically, but realistically, you simply cannot have been a good fit for all the schools you applied to. Stony Brook, for example, is incredibly research oriented. If you mentioned wanting to be a clinician, you are probably not getting in regardless of how qualified you are. Many of the other schools on your list are more clinically oriented. If you talked about wanting a research career in your personal statement, they're probably also going to wonder why you are applying there.

I SO agree with everyone above - and in case you need to hear it again, please please consider a paid RA position over a Masters. Particularly getting an RA position where the research project allows you to get experience in neuropsych testing, etc. Your stats rock! Start thinking about what will be effective (not what might reduce fear/anxiety/ego wounding).

Literally, seriously, MOST entering clinical students do not have a Masters. For reasons I can't tell, it seems like you're sort of 'stuck' on the idea of staying in school. Can I ask why? If you went straight to undergrad from H.S. and graduated in 3.5 years, you must be pretty young. (?) You're gonna have to trust people when they say that there is no rush, that it is really in your benefit to get out of school and get yourself some real F/T research work (particularly in a lab that fits your interests).

Working F/T outside of a school environment is qualitatively different from working on research projects while a student. If you're asking a program to invest thousands of dollars in you, they want some proof that you are 1) serious and 2) mature - some of this is demonstrated in your creds, and some is life experience/age. The info you provided about those 2 Masters programs means nothing to me. :oops: Sorry - more coursework is not what you need.

Also something that hasn't been addressed is what it's like to be an early-20-something clinician. This is a consideration for you, the program, and the clients you would be serving. Street cred can be hard enough on us 30-somethings! Trust me, even research programs are considering this when looking at younger candidates.

Last edited: