What now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gahrahstah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided a number of years ago that I wanted to go to medical school and finished my pre-reqs and degree. When I did not get accepted into a US school, I went to an offshore school and passed my basic sciences. However, the school failed (a gamble with offshore), and now its been 3 years since I was in school. I know that I would have to "start over" as a medical student any where, but what about the MCAT and the undergraduate science courses? I know the MCAT needs to be retaken, as its been six years now, and my science classes are all six years or older. Is this school specific or are the ages of your science classes a factor at all schools? If so, any suggestions would be helpful. It didn't seem logical to re-take them all, but then, I don't know. I know graduate school is an option as well. Also, ethics wise, do I include the failed offshore school in my application, in light of the fact that (1) its courses aren't recognized in the US to begin with, and (2) my transcripts aren't even available. Help?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's tough.

Just my opinion, but it might be better not to mention that offshore school on your app. I know the knights in shining moral armor will jump all over that, but hey, those are their morals, not mine.

As far as retaking your classes, you'll have to check with individual schools. My hunch is that 6 years might be too long, but it might not. I know for the MCAT it is.

Your best option might be a post-bac.

How's the gpa? If it's a little low, like 3.0, maybe think of smp?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's tough.

Just my opinion, but it might be better not to mention that offshore school on your app. I know the knights in shining moral armor will jump all over that, but hey, those are their morals, not mine.

If the school failed (I'm assuming he means didn't make it financially) why would you feel he needs to hide this?

I don't have an opinion on the failed school issue necessarily...though might you still be able to get transcripts from somewhere, if you wanted/needed to? If the school was ever accredited, would you be able to contact the accreditation people to find out if/where transcripts are available?

I had 8-10yr old science classes when I applied this year, and called individually the schools that I was planning to apply to. In my case, all of them said that they didn't care at all how old the classes were; just the MCAT score times out. BUT they did state that "Adcoms like to see SOME recent coursework". So maybe not retake things, but take some upper-level sci stuff? From the stickys posted at the top of this forum, looks like grad degrees are less helpful than post-baccs or SMPs if your main goal is medical school.

Good luck!

I decided a number of years ago that I wanted to go to medical school and finished my pre-reqs and degree. When I did not get accepted into a US school, I went to an offshore school and passed my basic sciences. However, the school failed (a gamble with offshore), and now its been 3 years since I was in school. I know that I would have to "start over" as a medical student any where, but what about the MCAT and the undergraduate science courses? I know the MCAT needs to be retaken, as its been six years now, and my science classes are all six years or older. Is this school specific or are the ages of your science classes a factor at all schools? If so, any suggestions would be helpful. It didn't seem logical to re-take them all, but then, I don't know. I know graduate school is an option as well. Also, ethics wise, do I include the failed offshore school in my application, in light of the fact that (1) its courses aren't recognized in the US to begin with, and (2) my transcripts aren't even available. Help?

You are going to have to meet the same requirements of any other person applying to medical school (MCAT and uGPA). The fact that you attended medical school offshore does not and will not exempt you from retaking the MCAT or having a competitive uGPA. As another person has suggested, you might want to look into an SMP with linkage (which may not require retake of the MCAT) with a very strong performance there (no grade less than B+) could get you into medical school faster.

Otherwise, you will need to get your knowledge base up to par (MCAT review class) and do some post bacc work if your uGPA is not competitive (might not be since you were offshore to begin with). Also, AMCAS is going to ask if you ever matriculated in medical school and thus not "mentioning" your offshore experience is not an option unless you are into lying (not a sound idea). Good luck.

My Undergrad classes were a DOZEN years old (but my masters was only 5 years old). I applied with a very recent MCAT and my very old grades.

I only applied to one school, but I did call them and make sure my old pre-reqs were not a problem. They didn't care how old any classes were, just that the gpa was high.

So sorry this happened to you.

Good luck!

Thanks for all of the answers. The school failed both financially and with accreditation issues. What is an SMP?