What OT school Are you going to apply for 2013?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cvy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone !!

Like the title said, what OT schools are you going to apply in 2013 and Why?

I am from California, so I will try to apply for all 6 OT schools in Ca : Cal.state Dominguez Hills, Loma Linda, St. Augustine in San Diago, SJUS, Samual Merrit, Dominician University. and 2 other OT schools in Arizona.

I am studying and going to take GRE in May, 2012
I have 120hrs OT observation at a Blind children learning center, and 80hr volunteering at skilled nursing home. Going to do 100hrs+ more !!
My GPA : 3.00 :) . I know it's low, but I won't lose hope

So, tell me about your plan!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi cvy- I'm glad to see posts regarding 2013! I'm applying to a bunch of schools around NY and CA. My reasons are location and they are all good schools with decent programs. Here is the list of the schools I'm applying for sure:

Kean U, York College, sacred heart u, downstate, Phila u, Touro ny, Columbia, stony brook, seton hall, liu, Dominican CA, Samuel Merritt, SJSU, CSU, Loma Linda, st Augustine, USC, bay path in MA, Spingfield MA and Worcester MA!

I have a couple of maybes. Lol. What about you?

Hi, there! After being rejected from the one school I applied to this cycle, I'm realizing the importance of branching out. For the 2013 cycle, I'll definitely be applying to University of New Mexico and Colorado State University. I'm planning on staying in the West and don't want to come out of school overburdened with debt, so I'm looking at San Jose State as a third option. University of Puget Sound is also appealing, though the price is not. ;)

As for my current stats:

GPA: 3.7
Prereq GPA: 4.0 (I still have a few classes to take...)

I've done over 100 volunteering hours at a pediatric outpatient rehab hospital and 44 hours at an arts education center for adults with developmental disabilities. I have lined up 3 other volunteer experiences: one at the VA hand clinic and 2 at large rehab hospitals.

Looking forward to hearing from the rest of the 2013ers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Karine!. You sure are applying to many schools =]. Maybe I should look for schools in the East too.
To STCM, I 've heard that University of New Mexico is super competitive. Maybe you should consider more schools in the West too

Has anyone taken GRE yet?

Wow. Karine!. You sure are applying to many schools =]. Maybe I should look for schools in the East too.
To STCM, I 've heard that University of New Mexico is super competitive. Maybe you should consider more schools in the West too

After some advice from different people I realized 20 was too many. So I'm cutting it down to 10-12. So far I was able to choose 12 but I'll see if I can cut back a couple more. I'm planning on taking the GRE this summer-Fall. All the people I have talked to about it said to not over study it because you'll get overwhelmed. I'm thinking 2-3 months to study it. So probably will take it in September/October. Out of the 12 schools I'm applying to (at least for now it's 12) only 6 ask for the GRE. NY schools don't seem to ask for it but PA and CA do. Weird.

The admission cycle starts around August 1st, so I think It is better to have your GRE score done before August. I have heard that living in NY will be expensive + the tuition of NY schools, but I am not sure.

The admission cycle starts around August 1st, so I think It is better to have your GRE score done before August. I have heard that living in NY will be expensive + the tuition of NY schools, but I am not sure.

Good to know about the GRE. I currently live in new York in Astoria (ab 30 minutes subway to the heart of the city). I pay $750 for a huge bedroom in a 1500-1600 sq ft apt (not sure how it compares to CA). Tuition might be pricey. Check out the spreadsheet I posted a couple of days ago. It has tuitions of my schools.

You're right, it is super competitive. I applied this year, got an interview, but was rejected in the final decision. I'm a resident of NM, so I have a better chance than out-of-state candidates. I'm meeting with their admissions coordinator tomorrow to go over the scoring of my application. I feel like I have a better chance next year, as I've already gone through the process and will be taking some steps to improve my application in the coming months. I am thinking about applying to 4 schools for 2013 but UNM is my first choice.

As for the GRE, I think I'll take it in June. I bought a couple books on Amazon, the Princeton Review's Cracking the GRE and Barron's Essential Words for the GRE. I like the Princeton Review's emphasis on test-taking techniques. As they point out, the GRE is not a test of intelligence, it's a test of how well you take the GRE. I could easily spend these next months just studying vocabulary, but I need to brush up on my math, too.

I started another thread a while ago about online GRE resources. I'll probably be posting more there as I continue to study.

Does anyone know if the GRE scores are sent right away or if they wait? For instance if I take it now- June/July but don't apply to schools until September will the schools receive my scores with no app and think "who the heck is this" or are they used to it and put it aside until they get my application?

Does anyone know if the GRE scores are sent right away or if they wait? For instance if I take it now- June/July but don't apply to schools until September will the schools receive my scores with no app and think "who the heck is this" or are they used to it and put it aside until they get my application?

They are sent right away but the school will just file them away until they get the rest of your app. They'll consider the scores when they are evaluating apps. Some schools want you to send, along with the rest of your app, a photocopy of the score you received in the mail.

They are sent right away but the school will just file them away until they get the rest of your app. They'll consider the scores when they are evaluating apps. Some schools want you to send, along with the rest of your app, a photocopy of the score you received in the mail.

Good to know. Thanks

I'm from California and really don't want to have a lot of student debt, so I'm only applying to San Jose State and Dominguez Hills.

Gre scores are sent probably 1 month after you take the test,so i just want to take it early .if i got a low score then i will take it again then. To hillary, this year, public schools in cali may have a huge budget cut; some csu have stopped accepting new student.i think you should consider this aspect in ur plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wayne State University
Chatham University
Texas Womens University
University of Texas at San Antonio
University of Texas at El Paso
University of Missouri
Western Michigan University
St Louis University
University of Alabama
Bay Path College
Dyouville College
and University of Indianapolis

Last edited:
Hilary,
I'd try and get personal tours of both CA programs and develop a relationship with those programs. Both CSUDH and SJSU receive hundreds of applications so it's good for them to get to know you. I applied to CSUDH last year but was rejected. I was bummed to miss out on in-state tuition but feel better knowing I am not alone. :(
Apply super early to both as well. It's amazing how many people with superb stats do not get into either program. Also I haven't heard anything about the impact on either program due to the financial problems. The freeze of incoming students is mainly affecting undergrads at the CSU schools I believe for Spring. However, I'd go ahead and ask the programs whether they foresee any financial impacts on their programs. I believe at SJSU they had to cut back on the students they admitted to their OT cohorts.

I live in texas and have applied to TWU, TEXAS TECH, AND UTMB. None of these schools require GRE and i just got an interview email from Texas Tech:).
My stats are:
science GPA 3.5
Last 90 undergrad: 3.8
44 volunteer hrs.

Good to see that people are thinking ahead for 2013! I'm starting from scratch and knocking down the pre-reqs which I started in Jan. 2012. If everything goes according to planned I should have only 1-2 classes in progress when I apply in August 2013 and GREs will be taken in June~July.

I am from California and would prefer to stay in state but I understand that the admissions process is getting increasingly difficult every year. I will be applying to all CA schools as well as Colombia in NY, Washington U in St. Louis, and possibly a few other schools. Depending on what happens exactly one year from now regarding admissions, I may consider waiting another year to apply to get into the school that is best fit for me.

Just have to keep on working hard until then! Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

I applied to:

Columbia
Stony Brook
Touro
Downstate
Phila U
Jefferson
Salus
U Pitt
Samuel Merritt
Pacific
Midwestern
Rush
Bay Path

OTCAS cum GPA 3.28, last 60 3.53, currently taking abnormal and developmental, planned Anatomy physio II in the spring. GRE next week, about 200 OT volunteer hours, 1000+ hours in other fields (nursing, volunteer, tutoring...), leadership roles in college. I got 3 very good recommendation letters so I'm hoping that helps!

I'm crossing my fingers!!

I'm applying to :
OSU, Univ. Toledo, Washu, Rush, UIC, Wisconsin, and Colorado.

My graduating gpa is 3.8, and my pre-req gpa should be 3.9 (finishing up 2 more classes)

I took the GRE in August and did pretty well in the Vocab and Analytical sections (not as great in the Quant)

I have over a 100 hours shadowing experience in geriatrics, veteran's hospital, and developmental disabilities. Additionally, I work at a developmental disabilities facility on the weekends.

Good luck to fellow 2013 applicants (aka my future colleagues!) I hope everyone gets into their first choice!

I've finally submitted all my apps:
OSU, Univ of Indianapolis, univ of Minnesota, UIC, Midwestern, Chatham, NYU, Winston-Salem state, Phila u, and VCU. I have my UIndy interview Friday but I'm very anxious to hear from everyone else!

I just submitted my OTCAS application, but I am still waiting for two transcripts to arrive (I ordered them Monday, so fingers crossed that they arrive soon). I am worried I did not get everything in soon enough. I applied to:

Howard University
University of Illinois at Chicago
Midwestern University
University of Pittsburgh
Shenandoah University
University of Toledo
Towson University
Jefferson College of Health Sciences
Bay Path College

Hi Nijagirl!

I know this was posted a few months ago. But did you get into TWU?
I am a sophomore at TWU (denton) and I also want to apply to the OT progam at TWU (dallas).
My current pre-req GPA is a 4.0 ( I have only taken intro to psych & developmental) and my overall GPA is 3.5. Do you think I'm good so far? I don't have any volunteer hours yet. I will start in the summer. Thanks.

My stats are:
science GPA 3.5
Last 90 undergrad: 3.8, last 60credit 3.7
44 volunteer hrs.

Degree: BS Food Marketing and Agribusiness Management
Overall gpa : 3.6 (graduated cum laude)
Pre-req gpa: 4.0 (just need to take A&P part 2 winter quarter)
GRE: none
Observation hours: 100 pediatric hospital and clinic
Volunteer hours: 2300 teaching therapeutic horse back riding to those with mental/physical disabilities
Schools applied to: Loma Linda University

I had an interview with Loma Linda and I should get an acceptance/rejection letter in the next few days fingers crossed

Hope I'm competitive enough

Degree: BS Exercise Science/Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.06
Pre-req GPA: depending on programs ~3.5-3.6 (retaking intro soc & stats)
124 OT hours in 4 settings
Schools I applied to: USciences, UIndy, Pacific, Bay Path, Springfield, and Chatham

I have completed CSU's master program. I would not recommend it for everyone. While a high ranked program, I know many of my classmates and I were not satisfied with the program. I would recommend touring the program, sitting in on at least one class and trying to see if you can arrange coffee with a group of students to gauge their enthusiasm for the program. I think that while OT programs are going to be challenging, which they should be, they should also be an enjoyable and memorable experience. Hope this advice helps. Some.of my former colleagues and I had talked about starting a website where students can review their program and this thread is indicative of the need for something like that. Good luck to you all.

ColoradoOTGal-

I'll be applying to CSU this fall - Why were you and your classmates not satisfied with the program? Does it have any redeeming qualities? Given your experience there, if you went back would you choose CSU again? If not, what other programs might you recommend and why?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd love some feedback on this :)

Took me a second but....It says Colorado State University in the heading of the message.

oh youre right i think i got confused because i remember reading poor reviews about chicago state on the ot indeed forum

there's also california state university CSU.

too many CSU's -_-