What personality is a good fit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPodtosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am an MS3 who is interested in rad onc for a long time but was afraid to set my goal on it until recently because i know it's a competitive field and I might not be good enough. I just got my Step 1 score back and thankfully it was about average for the field, so I am regaining some of the confidence and starting to explore the field more in depth.

I have never had any prior exposure to the field and I will be shadowing a rad oncologist starting next week. I know I'm interested in rad onc because tumor biology just fascinates me and i've done some research project on it and i enjoyed it alot. I am also a somewhat tech savy person, so it seems like rad onc is really a good fit for me.

But besides having passion in the field, I am wondering what kind of personality or characteristics will make you enjoy your work and be a good rad oncologist instead of waking up every morning feeling miserable. What kind of mindset is necessary for a rad oncologist?

Thanks for any advice/input!

Members don't see this ad.