What places are ideal for me to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremed0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently a Junior (graduating early in December) and I was curious about my chances getting into certain schools. I am a black female that currently has a cumulative GPA of 4.0 and a science GPA of 4.0. I am taking the MCAT May 5th and I'm not sure what scores I need to receive to be considered for schools like Perelman, Emory, etc. I am a scribe in the ER currently and I have been a part of many extracurricular activities/volunteering. I would like to know the minimum MCAT score I should receive to be considered for schools like that? or where you all would recommend I apply?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm currently a Junior (graduating early in December) and I was curious about my chances getting into certain schools. I am a black female that currently has a cumulative GPA of 4.0 and a science GPA of 4.0. I am taking the MCAT May 5th and I'm not sure what scores I need to receive to be considered for schools like Perelman, Emory, etc. I am a scribe in the ER currently and I have been a part of many extracurricular activities/volunteering. I would like to know the minimum MCAT score I should receive to be considered for schools like that? or where you all would recommend I apply?

Thank you!

As a black woman with a 4.0, you'll need a 500 for lower-tier MD schools (the 500 demonstrates you're capable of handling the work) and anything above that moves you "up the ranking scale". Your GPA is stellar and your URM status will probably help to some extent -- I'd look at each school's 10th percentile as your application floor and look at that score as the number to beat.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a black woman with a 4.0, you'll need a 500 for lower-tier MD schools (the 500 demonstrates you're capable of handling the work) and anything above that moves you "up the ranking scale". Your GPA is stellar and your URM status will probably help to some extent -- I'd look at each school's 10th percentile as your application floor and look at that score as the number to beat.

Thank you so much for this helpful information! I really do appreciate it. I have a quick question, when you say "look at each school's 10th percentile", how do I find that information? Their website or just by google?

Thank you so much for this helpful information! I really do appreciate it. I have a quick question, when you say "look at each school's 10th percentile", how do I find that information? Their website or just by google?
MSAR

Reactions: 1 user
The MSAR contains the schools average MCAT score but I'm not sure what you mean about each schools 10th percentile?

If you click into the school, and scroll to the admissions statistics (or similarly named) area, then you can see a box and whisker plot of the mcat scores and gpas!

If you click into the school, and scroll to the admissions statistics (or similarly named) area, then you can see a box and whisker plot of the mcat scores and gpas!

Thank you so much!