What practice material is the closest reflection of what the mcat is actually like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memsak00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be the practice tests offered by e-mcat.com? Full length kaplan? Written aamc exams?

Anyone want to rank the above 3?

Members don't see this ad.

In theory, the online MCATs offered by the AAMC would be the most representative of both the testing "environment" meaning taking the test on the computer, as well as the types of questions asked.

in order, 1) AAMC exams, 2) AAMC Self Assessments, 400) Kaplan

I don't consider Kaplan to be very representative at all. To some it may be helpful, though, for content review, but still I consider Kaplan to be a dubious source.

in order, 1) AAMC exams, 2) AAMC Self Assessments, 400) Kaplan

I don't consider Kaplan to be very representative at all. To some it may be helpful, though, for content review, but still I consider Kaplan to be a dubious source.

AAMC material (exams/SA, both are actually old MCATs so they are equally representative) for sure.

As for Kaplan, it depends what you're talking about. Their online stuff is great, probably on par with TPR Workbooks if not better. Their books you can get in a bookstore are terrible.

Click the link below here in my signature, I give an in-depth guide/review to all the different resources you can probably get your hands on. I would only use the AAMC exams as practice FLs unless absolutely necessary to do more.. and even then, there aren't really any that come close to being realistic. Get some practice passages instead of exams, try TBR or TPRH Workbooks (not regular TPR).