What qualifies as a science letter of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikadhal

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question about what will be considered a science letter of rec. For example, I am taking a course called BIO 342, Plagues. However, this course is intended for nonscience majors. Would a letter of rec from this professor work?

Also, is it true if a course starts with the prefix BIO will work as a science course even though it is not something like intro to biology...

Thank you~

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I have a question about what will be considered a science letter of rec. For example, I am taking a course called BIO 342, Plagues. However, this course is intended for nonscience majors. Would a letter of rec from this professor work?

Also, is it true if a course starts with the prefix BIO will work as a science course even though it is not something like intro to biology...

Thank you~
Can I ask why you are taking a class for non majors? Please don't answer "because I am a non major. "

Can I ask why you are taking a class for non majors? Please don't answer "because I am a non major. "
I'm just very interested in this topic and I want to learn more about it. However, I am lacking a science letter of recommendation so I was wondering if I would be able to use a letter from this professor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just very interested in this topic and I want to learn more about it. However, I am lacking a science letter of recommendation so I was wondering if I would be able to use a letter from this professor.
Do you go to their office hours? How will this professor write you a strong letter of recommendation?

Do you go to their office hours? How will this professor write you a strong letter of recommendation?
Yes, I know the professor very well. I am confident the professor will write me a strong letter.

Does this professor teach other courses for majors? Have you taken any of their classes before this one?
They teach intro to Microbiology which I have already taken with a different professor. and no, this is the only class I have taken with them.

They teach intro to Microbiology which I have already taken with a different professor. and no, this is the only class I have taken with them.
In terms of the technicals, if this is a professor in the biology department, then you can ask. Only you can gauge how strong the letter is compared to other professors whose classes you have taken which may offer more relevant information in a letter. The best letters for me show strong mentorship and investment in the relationship with the student, and it's not clear you have had that with any of your science professors. (Otherwise, you wouldn't have asked the original question.)

In terms of the technicals, if this is a professor in the biology department, then you can ask. Only you can gauge how strong the letter is compared to other professors whose classes you have taken which may offer more relevant information in a letter. The best letters for me show strong mentorship and investment in the relationship with the student, and it's not clear you have had that with any of your science professors. (Otherwise, you wouldn't have asked the original question.)
You are right. I made the mistake of not getting to know my profs when I had the chance so I am scrambling to find someone to write me a letter. I appreciate your response. Thank you!