what race am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halogas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I talked with one of my middle eastern friends the other day and he said he was told to mark down Caucasian. Even though he is from a middle eastern country (and middle east is in Asia), he is marking down Caucasian. In the past I have marked down Asian until I realized it's not asking from what country you are from and I started marking down Caucasian.

The question is not of nationality, but race.

Members don't see this ad.

i've read the history and all so I know middle easterners are considered to be of Caucasian descent(most of them)...but I don't want to mark down Caucasian and the interviewers thinking I am Asian (and feeling like I had lied). Chances at med schools change based on race (I think anyways, according to the spreadsheets), which is why I am really not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, that is why I was asking. I am not east asian, so I think I will end up marking down Caucasian.

Do you identify as one or the other? It's kind of annoying to have to put yourself in a category like this; technically, I suppose, you'd be considered Caucasian.

A good friend of my, entering medical school in the Fall, is Egyptian. It is super obvious and yet he puts down Caucasian because in Egypt he is considered that since his family is wealthier. In fact, his passport lists him as Caucasian.
Another example: In Haiti, if you are rich you are considered white, even if you are as dark as they come. Again, people have Caucasian written on official paperwork.
This is why labeling someone based on one word doesn't work out. Each area of the world uses the words differently.

Here are your options
5v9nvm.jpg

Answer as you feel so inclined

A good friend of my, entering medical school in the Fall, is Egyptian. It is super obvious and yet he puts down Caucasian because in Egypt he is considered that since his family is wealthier. In fact, his passport lists him as Caucasian.
Another example: In Haiti, if you are rich you are considered white, even if you are as dark as they come. Again, people have Caucasian written on official paperwork.
This is why labeling someone based on one word doesn't work out. Each area of the world uses the words differently.
I heard something similar to this applies in Brazil, not sure if it was true though.

It is true for Haiti. I met someone when they came to my school to talk about it. Later, I had to translate for someone in Ecuador to explain why it said white on their passport and that they were African-American in person. The Haitian was pretty mad people were calling him African-American (especially since Ecuador calls them negros which translates to a not very PC word). He was cussing pretty loud. I am pretty sure they understood his broken French-English despite them speaking Spanish.