MD & DO What residency most similar to Fat Man from House of God?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ainsky

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Recently finished my IM clerkship and I can identify heavily with Fat Man and his Laws

I have no idea what specialty I am interested in, but I know from IM that I don't like dealing with gomers, chronic problems that I can't do much for, pan-testing, and entitled patients

Do you have any tips on specialties to consider? Hating IM made me think I will like Gen Surg ...

Members don't see this ad.

GI, maybe?

I do know that the real life person who inspired the Fat Man went into cardiology, but idk what that tells you.

Every specialty will have gomers, it’s just part of life as our population gets older. Pick ortho and then you don’t need to actually deal with them aside from operating on them (ahem medicine admit ahem)
I was sitting on the ward the other day and a gomer was making noises and the nurse tried to get me to order some blood pressure med and I’m like nope, medicine!
Reminded me of that scene from scrubs where kelso goes “what has two thumbs and doesn’t give a crap? Bob kelso, how you doing”

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Recently finished my IM clerkship and I can identify heavily with Fat Man and his Laws

I have no idea what specialty I am interested in, but I know from IM that I don't like dealing with gomers, chronic problems that I can't do much for, pan-testing, and entitled patients

Do you have any tips on specialties to consider? Hating IM made me think I will like Gen Surg ...

I'm only an M2 but I've frequently heard that gen surg is the IM of surgery. Dunno what that tells you, but it's what I hear.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm only an M2 but I've frequently heard that gen surg is the IM of surgery. Dunno what that tells you, but it's what I hear.
Oh yeah, don't choose general surgery if you're trying to avoid gomers, even if its just consulting on them, the practice is to keep them on your service ("rocks') and not consult medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Every specialty will have gomers, it’s just part of life as our population gets older. Pick ortho and then you don’t need to actually deal with them aside from operating on them (ahem medicine admit ahem)
I was sitting on the ward the other day and a gomer was making noises and the nurse tried to get me to order some blood pressure med and I’m like nope, medicine!
Reminded me of that scene from scrubs where kelso goes “what has two thumbs and doesn’t give a crap? Bob kelso, how you doing”

I feel dumb for not knowing this but it’s been quite some time since I read house of god.

Why no meds for gomers? Is that one of the laws

Edit I suddenly remembered:
The best medicine is often none at all (or something like that)

I feel dumb for not knowing this but it’s been quite some time since I read house of god.

That and you never want to accept responsibility for the gomers.

Reactions: 1 user

Because ortho doesn’t treat medical problems of patients their consulted on. Internal medicine does.

We also don’t treat medical problems of patients admitted to us either.

Reactions: 1 users
Because ortho doesn’t treat medical problems of patients their consulted on. Internal medicine does.

We also don’t treat medical problems of patients admitted to us either.

Ortho tried to admit an otherwise healthy patient to me because they might develop a medical problem during their stay. I'm like no.

Ortho tried to admit an otherwise healthy patient to me because they might develop a medical problem during their stay. I'm like no.
admit to anesthesia?

Hahahaha knowing you’re anesthesia, that’s incredibly ballsy.
To be fair the other day I was gonna send someone home and anesthesia recommended they be admitted to medicine for some blood pressure issues. Medicine gave me pushback so I made anesthesia talk to medicine since they were the ones that wanted the admission. Anesthesia was not happy but I wasn’t about to keep being the middleman.