What route should I consider?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year, I took my MCAT and did poorly. The previous year I was not ready to take it. I applied twice but never submitted my score. This year I did not take it.

I feel like I'm wasting time. I want to go back to school so thinking about becoming a RN first. Are there other routes that would be better?

Members don't see this ad.

I work in healthcare. I have seen what nurses do. It is valuable and honorable. But it is not being a doctor. Have you tried prep courses and such to improve your MCAT? If you haven't, and you want to be a doctor, then try it, see if it works. If you have and your MCAT still won't go up, maybe it is worth it to you to do something else in health care. But if your dream is MD/DO, for the love of pete, do everything you can to try to make it happen before you give up.

IMO I would not become a nurse in order to later go to medical school. Nursing is not medicine, it will not help you with the MCAT, as their science requirements are not nearly as rigerous (sp?--sorry..).

FireFist

Last year, I took my MCAT and did poorly. The previous year I was not ready to take it. I applied twice but never submitted my score. This year I did not take it.

I feel like I'm wasting time. I want to go back to school so thinking about becoming a RN first. Are there other routes that would be better?

A question for you: Are you interested in becoming a physician or do your just want a job? If you are interested in entering medicine, then becoming a nurse is not a sound choice. As other posters have pointed out, nursing is not medicine.

If you want/need a paycheck quickly, the by all means, investigate other health care careers but do realize that they are not a stepping stone into medical school and are not "routes" into medical school. They are terminal degrees for various professions.

As you "go back to school" you need to have a clear idea of what you are attempting to accomplish. If you need preparation for medical school, the do some post bacc work (if your uGPA needs repair) or an MCAT prep program if your MCAT is not sound.

I can tell you that with a previously poor MCAT score, you do not want to retake this test until you have solidly and thoroughly prepared for the test. A second mediocre score would put medical school out of reach for you. The MCAT is not a test to keep retaking so you have one more take on that exam.

Sit down, do some realistic soul searching with a good academic adviser and figure out what you want to do. Do your research before you have that session with an academic adviser. If you decide that you have found another health care career that is satisfying, then get yourself prepared but don't look at nursing, physical therapy or even physician assistant as a route into medical school. These are all terminal degrees and stand-alone professions.

Members don't see this ad :)
What should I do?

I have to do something to support myself.

Tanny,

If you need a job, something to do with healthcare, then consider nursing, or RT, or PT, or whatever. But consider it will slow down your application to med school and will probably not help when you apply apart from giving you clinical hours. However, if you need to eat and pay student loans until you are ready to re-take the MCAT a couple of years from now, well, then that might be the right choice. You could also find a job waiting tables or something that has a high income to hours worked ratio that will allow you to study for the MCAT and try again sooner. We don't know your financial situation. You need to decide what is most important. Do you think you could take a course and get a higher score on the MCAT? Are you desperate financially? These are the questions you need to answer. If the answer to the first is no, then do whatever you think will make you happy. If the answer is yes, then find a way to get it done. Whatever you choose to do, with hard work things will most likely be ok!

Tanny,

If you need a job, something to do with healthcare, then consider nursing, or RT, or PT, or whatever. But consider it will slow down your application to med school and will probably not help when you apply apart from giving you clinical hours. However, if you need to eat and pay student loans until you are ready to re-take the MCAT a couple of years from now, well, then that might be the right choice. You could also find a job waiting tables or something that has a high income to hours worked ratio that will allow you to study for the MCAT and try again sooner. We don't know your financial situation. You need to decide what is most important. Do you think you could take a course and get a higher score on the MCAT? Are you desperate financially? These are the questions you need to answer. If the answer to the first is no, then do whatever you think will make you happy. If the answer is yes, then find a way to get it done. Whatever you choose to do, with hard work things will most likely be ok!

Who knows what could happen in the future? I'm not waiting a couple of years to take the MCAT. Next year I will take it. What are you doing?

Tanny,

Here's a list of doctor-esque jobs out there in health care:

1. MD - allopathic
2. DO - osteopathic
3. DDS - dentistry
4. DPM - podiatry/podiatric surgery
5. DC - chiropractics
6. PA - physician's asst.
7. O-PA - orthopedic physician's asst.
8. CRNA - cert. registered nurse anesthetist (have to be an RN first)
9. AA - anesthesiology asst.
10. PT - physical therapist

There are lots of occupations out there that provide significant autonomy, good to great pay, and the opportunity to be in health care. Please don't give up your dreams, though.

I'm not giving up on my goal.

Good for you, Tanny. I know everyone has them, but here's two stories of hope:

1. A best friend of mine decided he wanted to go to medical school when his GPA was 2.3. He was eventually accepted to one of the best med schools in Texas and just began his residency in MI in orthopedic surgery.

2. Another really good friend of mine had a 3.3 GPA and a 26 MCAT. He was accepted to a DO school in AZ and is looking at getting a ER residency at a solid program.

The list goes on. Keep it up. You'll do fine.

Hi Tanny,
These are all good replies. I'll throw in my .02 as well.
Have you considered working as a certified nursing assistant? This and EMT seem to be popular 'fast-track' options for pre-meds who want clinically-oriented jobs.

As an RN who is currently applying to med school, I really do not recommend pursuing nursing as a ' quick paycheck job' unless you want to commit to nursing. Not trying to sound harsh but nursing programs have a stringent set of classes and clinicals which will take up the majority of your time. This means that you cannot take additional pre-med classes (if this is what you are also planning to do) while you are pursuing your nursing degree. Nursing is time-intensive and it will take at least 2 years to complete the nursing program.

I wish you the :luck: and don't give up on your dreams. I would take time off to study for the MCAT, retake it when you are ready and then apply to med schools. Again, just my .02

Tanny,

I am already a paramedic/firefighter. I had to take a total of two years off in order to get to where I am today. I work full time and take classes. EMT-Basic in most states is a one semester course. It pays ok, and doesn't take a lot of time. On the other hand because it is a one semester course competition for paid jobs is FIERCE! Still, if you think you could do well, or have an in with a company this might work for you. CNA like somebody else said might work too, I think its usually one semester. I know the nursing homes in my area are always hiring CNAs.

From what you have written I would say find any job that will pay your bills, then study hard for the MCAT. I know it is hard to find jobs right now, but there has to be something out there. You could also find ways to save money, like moving in with your parents again, or selling your house and renting a cheap apartment, whatever. I think you would be happiest as a MD from what you have written. Take only an MCAT prep course (no other classes) and work as little as possible to pay the bills. Still, that is only my opinion.

I am taking the MCAT myself this coming summer (June '10). I will be taking two classes at the same time too. And working of course... sigh.

Good for you, Tanny. I know everyone has them, but here's two stories of hope:

1. A best friend of mine decided he wanted to go to medical school when his GPA was 2.3. He was eventually accepted to one of the best med schools in Texas and just began his residency in MI in orthopedic surgery.

2. Another really good friend of mine had a 3.3 GPA and a 26 MCAT. He was accepted to a DO school in AZ and is looking at getting a ER residency at a solid program.

The list goes on. Keep it up. You'll do fine.

Did he improve his GPA. What did he do?

Honestly, it sounds like you got really freaked out by your first MCAT score. I took a preparatory class last summer and studied my butt off and then my my daughter contracted typhoid fever a week before my test and she had to be hospitalized. Needless to say, I was completely knocked off balance and did not take it. I started studying on my own this past spring and still rescheduled my test 2 more times. I retained a major fear about something going wrong again. My score--not great. I've applied anyway.

I understand you have to support yourself, but you must work through your MCAT fears to really get to your goal. Just because you did poorly the first time ("poorly" is different for everyone) doesn't mean you will repeat your performance. I agree to start studying and really get your head around the test format or address whatever may have gone wrong. I'm already looking toward the fact that I may have to reapply next year and take a spring MCAT to improve my score. Part of the the process...

Do not mistake thinking that you need to take some alternate route to get to your goal for the fear of not succeeding. I'm not saying that you should rush this process...that can also lead to heartache. However, you have already applied twice. It seems patently obvious to me that you've lost some of your confidence. I guess I could be wrong, but don't get distracted from your goal of becoming a physician just because you have this hurdle to overcome. You will succeed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, it sounds like you got really freaked out by your first MCAT score. I took a preparatory class last summer and studied my butt off and then my my daughter contracted typhoid fever a week before my test and she had to be hospitalized. Needless to say, I was completely knocked off balance and did not take it. I started studying on my own this past spring and still rescheduled my test 2 more times. I retained a major fear about something going wrong again. My score--not great. I've applied anyway.

I understand you have to support yourself, but you must work through your MCAT fears to really get to your goal. Just because you did poorly the first time ("poorly" is different for everyone) doesn't mean you will repeat your performance. I agree to start studying and really get your head around the test format or address whatever may have gone wrong. I'm already looking toward the fact that I may have to reapply next year and take a spring MCAT to improve my score. Part of the the process...

Do not mistake thinking that you need to take some alternate route to get to your goal for the fear of not succeeding. I'm not saying that you should rush this process...that can also lead to heartache. However, you have already applied twice. It seems patently obvious to me that you've lost some of your confidence. I guess I could be wrong, but don't get distracted from your goal of becoming a physician just because you have this hurdle to overcome. You will succeed!

I have bipolar disorder so that makes things harder. I did not accomplish much this cycle. I wanted to take the MCAT but could not get myself to study. Currently, I'm in Americorps.

Oh boy, that does make things harder. I have several friends who suffer from it. For one its been life-altering, and not in a good way. Well, good luck. Just keep plugging along. You'll do it.

Hey Tanny

I agree... If you really want to become a physician don't take detours. By becoming a RN, you will not be closer to medical school.

Other then being a physician, the closest you can get to practice medicine like one is by becoming a PA, NP or CRNA. All of these professions require time and more education. Most of all, they all have performance limitations attached to them.

So if you truly want to be a doctor, work hard and hopefully you will become one.

Don't let your medical condition stop you. Best of luck! :)

Should I consider going to Caribbean Medical School?

If this is the path you want to follow do not let MCAT scare you I have taken it 3 times(DON'T LAUGH) 22,23,27 this is my first time applying because I finally got a score that I felt competitive with. granted it is not a 30 but I am proud of myself. I have my first interview at a DO school in less than a month. My undergrad GPA 2.49 postbac 3.95 masters 3.92. Do things in the mean time to improve your application in addition to the numbers. I volunteered, shadowed did research, joined a science society and for a job which I needed in the meantime to support my daughter because I am a full time single mother with no financial help I teach science in a public HS. Which by the way is what I think improved my score. The point if this is what you really want it can be done. Since you have to work do an LPN,EMT, or NA course and not only will you work but this is considered clinical.

:confused::confused:CLASS OF 2014 JUST DON"T KNOW WHERE YET:confused::confused:

Tanny,

Here's a list of doctor-esque jobs out there in health care:

1. MD - allopathic
2. DO - osteopathic
3. DDS - dentistry
4. DPM - podiatry/podiatric surgery
5. DC - chiropractics
6. PA - physician's asst.
7. O-PA - orthopedic physician's asst.
8. CRNA - cert. registered nurse anesthetist (have to be an RN first)
9. AA - anesthesiology asst.
10. PT - physical therapist

There are lots of occupations out there that provide significant autonomy, good to great pay, and the opportunity to be in health care. Please don't give up your dreams, though.

What the hell is an O-PA? A PA-C is a PA-C, that's all and that's it. Generalized training to work in any specialty. Additionally, there is no apostrophe-S in the title. KTHX!

I have bipolar disorder so that makes things harder. I wanted to take the MCAT but could not get myself to study.

This is the essential problem. If you can't get yourself to study for the #1 most important test in getting into med school, what are you going to do when you actually get into med school? Med school is a long, hard grind and residency is long and harder. Your psych issues need to be very well managed under this kind of stress.

I recommend working as a CNA or MA, at least in the short term. It's great patient-care work, there's lots of it, and it gives you time to study on the side. You can see what nurses, doctors, and other providers do, and think about which role you see yourself in.

I agree with getting the psych issues under control. Bipolar disorder, in my limited psych experience, can be very difficult to manage, but it exists on a fairly broad spectrum of severity. That said, you can't expect to manage med-school if it's not controlled.

I will again disagree with some of my esteemed colleagues and say this: perhaps selecting nursing is right for you at this time. It may be that you need to experience studying for a degree, clinical rotations and passing a board exam to get your groove back.

BTW, to say that nursing "Is not medicine" is absolute crap. I've never been a nurse, but many of the most impressive professionals I've worked with have been nurses. Be aware that medical students with experience, typically, in one hospital - usually a teaching hospital, really don't have the experience or depth and breath of knowledge concerning other members of the healthcare team.

I digress. Having a short term career as something other than an MD is not less important, it's different. Be true to your own career goals and do what YOU can and engage in whatever YOU can handle. No one posting here can vouch for walking in your shoes. Do what is right for YOU.

You have time to go to medical school - the important thing, from my limited understanding of you, is that you need to be absolutely sure.

This is the essential problem. If you can't get yourself to study for the #1 most important test in getting into med school, what are you going to do when you actually get into med school? Med school is a long, hard grind and residency is long and harder. Your psych issues need to be very well managed under this kind of stress.

I recommend working as a CNA or MA, at least in the short term. It's great patient-care work, there's lots of it, and it gives you time to study on the side. You can see what nurses, doctors, and other providers do, and think about which role you see yourself in.

It not that i can't get myself to study. When I'm in a depressed phase, which I mostly am, I can't do anything. I'm unmotivated. Its part of the illness. I'm managing it better. Without a doubt, I want to be a doctor. I don't mind attending med school overseas too.