what schools are there in the carribean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longshot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm strongly considering going to medical school outside of the US. i know a lot of people opt for med school in the carribean. i was wondering if any of you guys are students at a medical school in the carribean and if you could answer a few questions for me about the school you go to and your decision to attend med school abroad, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

longshot said:
i'm strongly considering going to medical school outside of the US. i know a lot of people opt for med school in the carribean. i was wondering if any of you guys are students at a medical school in the carribean and if you could answer a few questions for me about the school you go to and your decision to attend med school abroad, etc.

There are probably two dozen different schools in the caribbean. Check them all out on valuemd.com - that site has mainly offshore school info.

:thumbup:

longshot said:
i cant quite tell from the nature of your post, but it looks like you're thinking of going offshore as choice rather than as an alternative if you dont get into the US. let me say that this is extraordinarily unwise. IMGs is a very good option (or some schools anyway) if you dont have the option of going in the us. but your medical education is not a time for study as a means of exploration of other places and life in general. If however you dont think youj'll get into the us, there are as I say some good options out there.
steph

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't have a very good chance of getting into med school in the US. i've spoken to people on the admissions boards at US med schools and seen many of my friends go through the admissions process and get rejected with better grades than mine. i'm thinking of going to the carribean for medical school as an alternative route to becoming a doctor for sure.

The top rated school is SGU.

Then the three are:

Ross and
AUC and
SABA

Dude, If you go to the carib., your worth depends on your USMLE 1 score.

SGU Student with a 217

Ross Student with a 230

AUC Student with a 254

Assuming they all have similar credentials except for that USMLE SCORE, who, in your opinion, will get that Ortho Interview? ;)

Leukocyte said:

SGU Student with a 217

Ross Student with a 230

AUC Student with a 254

Assuming they all have similar credentials except for that USMLE SCORE, who, in your opinion, will get that Ortho Interview? ;)
Neither because they are all caribbean graduates. Ortho is one of the hardest specialties to get into. MDs from the US will get interviews first and even then some MDs won't get an interview. Caribbean grads will simply be discriminated against just because they're from the caribbean especially for ortho.

I just recently finished my 4th. year. The basic sciences (first two years) I did in St.Lucia at Spartan Medical School. I went to Spartan because they offer you the opportunity to get an MD as long as you work and put forth the effort at almost half the cost of other schools. The exams are fair and challenging not tricky and designed for you to fail and spend more money. I have my MD now after doing my clinical years 3&4 at Attlanta Medical Center. Good luck you will enjoy it.

Luck said:
Neither because they are all caribbean graduates. Ortho is one of the hardest specialties to get into. MDs from the US will get interviews first and even then some MDs won't get an interview. Caribbean grads will simply be discriminated against just because they're from the caribbean especially for ortho.

The highest one. The school (from the big-three) doesn't matter that much.

Leukocyte said:

SGU Student with a 217

Ross Student with a 230

AUC Student with a 254

I think a better issue is, who will get the residency,

SGU Student with a 210

Ross Student with a 210

AUC Student with a 210

all things being equal?

I have been persuaded that the residency would have a higher probability of going to the SGU student, but there are many voices of dissent out there. i can understand someone who says it doesn't matter, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of people consider SGU the best carib school, and that may make a difference 4 years down the line. or it may not. it just depends on whether you are willing to take that risk...

Don't take clever marketing like the "Harvard of the Caribbean" seriously. In truth, you will be a Caribbean graduate. It won't matter where you went provided that your school meets a few standards. What matters is licensing, access to loans, clinical rotations, and your USMLE.

Some people try to turn the Caribbean into something of prestige. Just ignore it. Everyone is there to get an MD despite the recommendations of others.

SGU has an excellent USMLE board pass rate of about 90%, good rotations in clinical sites in New York, approval by all 50 states, and graduates on the faculty at various U.S. medical schools.

I think you can succeed at any of the other schools but it is less of a risk to go to SGU.

Hi,

Pls check Spartan Medical College / Spartan Health Sciences University in St. Lucia / Carribean

Good courses and faculty

Regards

www.spartanmed.org

Hi,

Pls check Spartan Medical College / Spartan Health Sciences University in St. Lucia / Carribean

Good courses and faculty

Regards

www.spartanmed.org

Except its disapproved in five states: California, Indiana, North Dakota, Texas, and Kansas.

Except its disapproved in five states: California, Indiana, North Dakota, Texas, and Kansas.

... and all the other medical boards that maintain comity with the Texas and California boards.

Anyway, back to the original question: OP you joined this board in 2003. It took you ten years to get to this point?

Trolling? Or serious? That's the real question.

-Skip
FWIW: Ross Grad, Board-Certified in Anesthesiology, private practice, livin' the good life...

... and all the other medical boards that maintain comity with the Texas and California boards.

Anyway, back to the original question: OP you joined this board in 2003. It took you ten years to get to this point?

Trolling? Or serious? That's the real question.

-Skip
FWIW: Ross Grad, Board-Certified in Anesthesiology, private practice, livin' the good life...

The thread got necro-bumped with the comment that one poster made about Spartan.

The thread got necro-bumped with the comment that one poster made about Spartan.

Whoa... missed that. Thanks. Wonder how the OP did (?).

-Skip

P.S. Highly advise not to attend Spartan, also FWIW.

Actually, there was an Ortho match from AUA this year and a Derm match from a lower tier school. There are all sorts of matches that people are unfamiliar with. People speak without knowing all the details.

Look into:
SGU
ROSS
AUC
AUA
SABA
MUA
UMHS

Look usually matches like that were either exceptional candidates or people with connections. Unless you see yourself as being the best in your class I wouldn't bet on it.

Actually, there was an Ortho match from AUA this year and a Derm match from a lower tier school.

I would be careful using the word "match".

From the AUA website:

Also, many of our graduates obtain PGY-1 positions through the SOAP and from sources outside the Match.

http://www.auamed.org/graduate-success?order=field_specialty_value&sort=asc

If you look at that list, yes, there was an ortho and an optho placement. If you look at that list carefully, you will note that the vast majority of programs obtained were in primary care and psychiatry.

-Skip

Times they are a changin'. I think a lot of carribean med students rotated at St. Luke's Roosevelt and BI in NYC. All those hospitals just merged ( got taken over) bt Mt Sinai. All those hospitals are now a part of what is called Mt. Sinai Health System and all faculty are now automatic Sinai faculty.

Since Sinai has its own medical school, I question how much longer carribean students will be able to rotate at those hospitals.

Since Sinai has its own medical school, I question how much longer carribean students will be able to rotate at those hospitals.

This may be a concern. However, when I was doing my clinicals through Ross, I rotated at hospitals that were clinical affiliates (i.e., outright owned and/or GME related) through Mt. Sinai, Cornell-Weill, NYU, St. Luke's Roosevelt, and Columbia.

These were at clinical sites that their students don't generally regard as "desirable" rotations for their education.

So, I'm not sure whether or not this will have any impact at all. The Caribbean schools who have rotations set-up at these hospitals generally pay a lot of money to have their students rotate there. Why would they bite the hands that feed them?

-Skip