What schools should I look at (and how many?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The rundown:
3.73 cGPA, 3.79 sGPA
31 MCAT (11/8/12)
PA resident
White Female

Clinical:
~225 hours direct patient care for nursing clinicals (nursing homes and oncology unit)
~1000+ hours as a pharmacy technician, PTCB certified

Shadowing:
~60 hours shadowing a Pediatrician, Primary Care doctor, Orthopedic surgeon, Pulmonologist, Ophthalmologist/retinal surgeon (DO), Pediatric Ophthalmologist

Non-clinical Volunteering:
~80+ hours volunteering with a no-kill dog rescue (on AMCAS I put over about 200 hours, since that's what it could be by the time I would matriculate in 2015)
-60+ (and counting) hours with a non-profit organization that benefits homeless/very low-income children in the Philadelphia area
Tutoring/Leadership:
-Two years as a TA for economics (around 400 hours)- includes tutoring, exam proctoring, grading, etc
I was basically in charge of running the class Facebook page and organizing reviews for exams, and helping with homework
-Lead Pharmacy Technician at my job. I assist in training, especially.
-Section Leader at the non-profit. I lead groups of 10-25 volunteers at various stations within the organization

Honors:
-Alpha Epsilon Delta - participated in about 14 hours of volunteering with Red Cross and Autism Speaks in the month I was a member (nationally inducted, if that means anything..)
-Deans List (likely won't list this on AMCAS)
-Student Marshal at commencement
Research:
Tiny amount of hypothesis-based research - one semester, maybe 40 hours - project on plant growth/development

Others/hobbies:
-PADI open water diver
-Pep Band (1 year, about 40 hours)

So far, PCOM tops my list. I'm very much hoping for an MD acceptance, but DO is perfectly acceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

With your stats, concentrate on MD. For DO, apply to the established ones and those that are university affiliated/public such as TCOM/MSU/OH-HCOM/OSU/Rowan. You'll likely get an MD acceptance, though.

Reactions: 1 user
With your stats, concentrate on MD. For DO, apply to the established ones and those that are university affiliated/public such as TCOM/MSU/OH-HCOM/OSU/Rowan. You'll likely get an MD acceptance, though.

Those were kinda my thoughts. Maybe just PCOM and Rowan since they're close to home.
I'm just scared nobody will like my app xD (neuroticism at its best!)

Members don't see this ad :)
With your stats, MCAT, and EC's, you will get some love from MD. Just apply early and broadly. Are you applying this cycle or next year?

With your stats, MCAT, and EC's, you will get some love from MD. Just apply early and broadly. Are you applying this cycle or next year?

I'm currently complete at all the schools I applied to except two. So, 13/15 secondaries finished and submitted.

I'm currently complete at all the schools I applied to except two. So, 13/15 secondaries finished and submitted.
Oh ok! Well if you're "scared that no one will like your [MD] app" :p, I think it would be better to add more lower tier MD schools, rather than applying DO.

Don't forget than your GPA is average-above average to many MD schools and that your MCAT is about average for MD as well. :)

With your stats you need to apply to at least 20 MD schools. Probably closer to 25. Unless you've completely foregone all reaches. But either way I would spend my tine/money/effort on applying to more MD schools.

I echo what everyone else says. Definitely add more MDscjools than DO and focus on MD

Pcom and rowan are fine DO options though.

Apply MD and focus on that. Apply to more than just PCOM and Rowan (Rowans which accepts only like 12% OOS btw).

~80+ hours volunteering with a no-kill dog rescue (on AMCAS I put over about 200 hours, since that's what it could be by the time I would matriculate in 2015)

Uh, I don't think you're supposed to do that...

Members don't see this ad :)
The rundown:
3.73 cGPA, 3.79 sGPA
31 MCAT (11/8/12)
PA resident
White Female

Clinical:
~225 hours direct patient care for nursing clinicals (nursing homes and oncology unit)
~1000+ hours as a pharmacy technician, PTCB certified

Shadowing:
~60 hours shadowing a Pediatrician, Primary Care doctor, Orthopedic surgeon, Pulmonologist, Ophthalmologist/retinal surgeon (DO), Pediatric Ophthalmologist

-60+ (and counting) hours with a non-profit organization that benefits homeless/very low-income children in the Philadelphia area
Tutoring/Leadership:
-Two years as a TA for economics (around 400 hours)- includes tutoring, exam proctoring, grading, etc
I was basically in charge of running the class Facebook page and organizing reviews for exams, and helping with homework
-Lead Pharmacy Technician at my job. I assist in training, especially.
-Section Leader at the non-profit. I lead groups of 10-25 volunteers at various stations within the organization

Honors:
-Alpha Epsilon Delta - participated in about 14 hours of volunteering with Red Cross and Autism Speaks in the month I was a member (nationally inducted, if that means anything..)
-Deans List (likely won't list this on AMCAS)
-Student Marshal at commencement
Research:
Tiny amount of hypothesis-based research - one semester, maybe 40 hours - project on plant growth/development

Others/hobbies:
-PADI open water diver
-Pep Band (1 year, about 40 hours)

So far, PCOM tops my list. I'm very much hoping for an MD acceptance, but DO is perfectly acceptable.

With your stats look at MD schools first and then upper tier DO schools as an alternative. Schools like PCOM, CCOM, TCOM, etc are upper tier DO schools. Avoid the lower and middle tier DO schools.

With your resume and GPA I think you would be competitive at a lower tier MD School, you will have more opportunity as an MD as well.

Ciestar if I recall you have already applied to MD schools. If you're going to spend money on adding more schools, I would probably just add more MD schools since you only have 15.

OP's cGPA and MCAT is right at median for MD schools. sGPA is a tad higher.

Higher science GPA but a below average verbal that while passable if any lower at all would definitely be an issue to some extent. Nonetheless, OP I would say 20 lower tier schools OOS and your state schools is a good bet. You're clearly competitive. Use MSAR come up with a list and we can help edit. PA has a bunch of schools and 2 which take 70%+ from IS. That's where I would start a list and make my first applications out to.

You are fine for any DO school, including PCOM.

Reactions: 2 users
With your stats you should make lower tier MD schools your priority, and I would only apply to upper tier DO schools. I would strongly advise against lower and middle tier DO schools considering your stats and resume.

The most established DO schools would be AT Still, PCOM, CCOM, TCOM, NSU COM, and Ohio COM. Apply to schools older than 30 years, they would be well established.

Higher science GPA but a below average verbal that while passable if any lower at all would definitely be an issue to some extent. Nonetheless, OP I would say 20 lower tier schools OOS and your state schools is a good bet. You're clearly competitive. Use MSAR come up with a list and we can help edit. PA has a bunch of schools and 2 which take 70%+ from IS. That's where I would start a list and make my first applications out to.

You are fine for any DO school, including PCOM.

I wish i could explain that VR score. I was averaging a 10+ on practice exams.

My school list is pretty on target, though.
Penn State
Temple
Drexel
TCMC
Wake Forest
VCU
USF
Penn
Einstein
Tufts
Rush
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Jefferson
Dartmouth

But more than likely sending primaries to at least EVMC and Hofstra

Penn State
Temple
Drexel
TCMC
Wake Forest
VCU
USF
Penn
Einstein
Tufts
Rush
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Jefferson
Dartmouth

Penn's 10th percentile MCAT score is a 34 - 3 points above yours. I would not recommend wasting the money applying there.

Penn's 10th percentile MCAT score is a 34 - 3 points above yours. I would not recommend wasting the money applying there.

Im already well aware of this. And my app is complete there. I receieved FAP so i have nothing to lose applying there

Penn State
Temple
Drexel
TCMC
Wake Forest
VCU
USF
Penn
Einstein
Tufts
Rush
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Jefferson
Dartmouth

That is a solid list, as I said before only apply to upper tier DO schools. The problem right now with DO schools is there are too many new ones, and the quality of clinical education is variable amongst them. The big advantage of MD schools is you will have superior clinical training, only the more established DO schools have clinical training on par with MD schools.

PCOM probably has the best clinical education of any DO school, I think NSU is comparable, as well as CCOM, Ohio COM, and TCOM. Outside of these, the quality of clinical education deteriorates sharply.

At many of the mid tier and lower tier DO schools, you wind up on your own during year 3 and 4 with little support from your school.

Penn State
Temple
Drexel
TCMC
Wake Forest
VCU
USF
Penn
Einstein
Tufts
Rush
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Jefferson
Dartmouth

Cut Dartmouth Einstein Penn and USF. Definitely add WVU in particular if you are from central or western pa( if eastern pa maybe add cooper Rowan)

Cut Dartmouth Einstein Penn and USF. Definitely add WVU in particular if you are from central or western pa( if eastern pa maybe add cooper Rowan)

The first three are upper tier MD schools, its going to be tough getting in them with less than a 34 MCAT.

I guess let me reiterate..all of my apps are COMPLETE at all of those schools i previously listed. I cant cut anything.

But thanks, i am from NEPA, so i'll add WVU

So by what youre saying...
Only 11/15 schools ive already applied to i have any shot at, but i need 20 total schools?! Where else should i be looking at.. :/ (no real interest in rosy franklin, loyola, and especially nymc)

So by what youre saying...
Only 11/15 schools ive already applied to i have any shot at, but i need 20 total schools?! Where else should i be looking at.. :/ (no real interest in rosy franklin, loyola, and especially nymc)

Invest in MSAR

Look into
WVU
Eastern Virginia
Albany
Oakland
Western Michigan
Saint Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin
Wright State(maybe)
Georgetown
Miami
Vermont

Reactions: 1 users
Invest in MSAR

Look into
WVU
Eastern Virginia
Albany
Oakland
Western Michigan
Saint Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin
Wright State(maybe)
Georgetown
Miami
Vermont

Agree with this, and definitely send a couple of DO apps out, but I wouldn't apply to more than 5 DO schools.

Agree with this, and definitely send a couple of DO apps out, but I wouldn't apply to more than 5 DO schools.

Ended up sending in 10 more MD apps.
I left out Georgetown, though.

Just as an aside... If i were to add one reach school...which one would i have the best odds at? MSAR doesnt help much here since i know my stats are out of range. Grasping at straws, dont ask me why

Agree, Pitt's 10%ile MCAT is 30, so go for it.

Probably Pitt

I know several people who have gotten II's at Pitt with a 32. Still, the emphasis on "grasping of straws" the OP was talking about in the last post applies here. It's not very realistic; it's just if you want to say you applied to a top 20 school this is the best of the options.

If you want a semi-more realistic reach Emory, USC and Mayo are probably better options than Pitt. Note though a 31 MCAT is a pretty clear long shot at any of these.

Reactions: 1 users
I know several people who have gotten II's at Pitt with a 32. Still, the emphasis on "grasping of straws" the OP was talking about in the last post applies here. It's not very realistic; it's just if you want to say you applied to a top 20 school this is the best of the options.

If you want a semi-more realistic reach Emory, USC and Mayo are probably better options than Pitt. Note though a 31 MCAT is a pretty clear long shot at any of these.

This is where my minds goes at like 4 am lol
Thanks for the responses!