What Self Learning Book Is Best For Organic Chemistry I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused 20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking Organic Chemistry I in the fall (107 days from today) and am tremendously frightened. I will attempt to get the textbook and syllabus very shortly. Can anybody recommend the best self learning book to assist me in learning Organic Chemistry I as I read the textbook? I have heard from many that Organic Chemistry as a Second Language is the best self help book. Is this true? Are there any books that are better than Organic Chemistry as a Second Language? Also, any input on how I could do well on Organic Chemistry I will be appreciated as well. Thanks to anybody for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

theres alerady a thread on this....Pushing electrons or Orgo Chem as second language seem to have gotten good reviews.

search!

but yes organic chemistry as a second language by klein is what i recommend. there's two volumes for semester I and semester II. the chapter on acid/base and resonance is VERY helpful. mastering those two will help you for the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking Organic in the summer right now and I have Pushing Electrons, Organic as a 2nd language, and Organic Chemistry 1 for dummies. My average with a drop grade is 100, or a 98 without the drop that we get. The funny thing is, I haven't found Pushing Electrons and Organic as a 2nd language helpful at all. The Organic for dummies has helped me and my fellow classmate out the most. It saved me when Sn1/Sn2 and E1/E2 reactions were introduced.

You should try, "The Nuts and Bolts of Organic Chemistry: A Student's Guide to Success" by Joel Karty. Like you I was freaking out before I took Orgo I and happened to find this book randomly on Amazon. It's designed to be used before you start actually taking the class. It helped me SO much! I can't recommend it enough.

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language for the win!

Note: It won't teach you anything beyond the very basic, but it is a great way to get a good grasp of the essentials so that you can make better use of your textbook and lecture.

"I wished I had gone to class, but this book sort of helped me learn" was a good one for me. Kidding.....a few of my friends have said the organic chemistry as a 2nd language book helped them

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language for the win!

Note: It won't teach you anything beyond the very basic, but it is a great way to get a good grasp of the essentials so that you can make better use of your textbook and lecture.
I second this. It's an excellent book.

How about using an MCAT review book (like Examkrackers) to learn from? That'd cover it unless you have to know specific mechanisms, right?