what should I become? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucsfer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some advice please ..
I want: lots of hands-on work, acutely sick patients that I can fix, a range of diseases to work on and a good lifestyle :). Possibility of international work would be a big plus.
I can't think of any that fits - surgery seems like a good bet except for the lifestyle... dunno know what else - does anesthesia fit that profile? anything else??

Members don't see this ad.

Deuce Bigolow - Male Gigolo

EM. Hands on experience with a multitude of trauma and acute care. Plenty of international opportunities, many times during residency. Fellowship in Disaster medicine which has good national/international applicability. Good lifestyle, flexible hours. High satisfaction among practitioners. Super cool colleagues.

I agree with everyone else. Emergency medicine is where it's at, either that or internal med.

Lifestyle... might eliminate this option, but remote/rural medicine or rural surgery might work.

Hi all,
Thanks for responding. I have definitely been thinking of ER, but haven't done a rotation there yet. You've told me many of the pros, what are the big cons of the specialty?
For example I've heard that in actual practice much of ones day is spent in doing primary health care for the population that comes in rather than treating anything acute. Is this true?
Also, it seems like one does not really take things all the way to completion in ER as compared to surgery or medicine.. does that bother those of you who are working there? Or is it not true at all - are you really able to solve many problems without calling in the specialties to take care of it.
What are the other cons?
For those of you who considered general surgery and ER, what made you sway either way? If you chose ER after being interested in surgery, are you happy with your decision? Do you miss the OR?
Thanks a lot!