What Should I do? Comp Sci cumm:3.29 sci:3.8 MCAT:36

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdmiralDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Male 26 White Californian.
Computer Science Major.
I've only taken the bare minimum Pre-Med courses in addition to dozens of computer science and advanced math courses.
Cumm: 3.29
Science: 3.8 ( Early in my school career I didn't put any effort into the GE classes I was taking)

Last year they will see I got a 4.0 (Including in O chem 1 and 2 and labs).

36 MCAT from last fall. Thinking about applying this summer.

I don't know if I should do a post bac or not to improve my GPA (it wouldn't improve much because I have 160+ units.

If it helps I have outstanding Letters of Rec. from extremely prominent doctors and a good mix of research and clinical experience as well as several apps on the apple store.

My low GPA will prohibit most MDs I feel (though some prominent professors have told me otherwise).

What do y'all think I should do? I plan on joining military once I get into a school so I don't have any DO or MD preference. BTW I want to be a military Psychiatrist.

Please advise. Much appreciated. Also I'm Jewish so would be open to Israeli Medical Schools if anyone has any strange advice about that.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the science GPA combined with a 36 will give you a great chance of acceptance if you apply early and broadly to MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the positivity yeah i pulled a D and a couple C's in bogus history classes i didn't care about as a freshman and sophomore but I have A's or A- in All Chem and Bio Courses. I'll literally go anywhere though, it really is my dream to be a military Psychiatrist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'm gonna apply to all the schools that make sense (in state and private DO's) and MD's in state and like people with a slightly different background. Obviously I'm gonna save my cash on Hopkins and Harvard (which to be honest isn't that appealing to me (except that my grandpa went to Harvard Medical School) because of the negative image in my mind of Baltimore (thanks The Wire) and because Boston is the new arctic and I'm a California boy).

my dream to be a military Psychiatrist.

Right on! Best of luck!

Consider applying to USUHS if you are that gungho on the military. As others said above I think MCAT and sGPA overrides your cumulative.