What should I do from now until next summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ychoi81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated last may, have been studying for mcat and helped my dad's business until April, and will be applying this summer. I was wondering if you guys got any suggestions what I should do until next year. Should I just volunteer and relax (well, in not-working sense) or find a job? I guess I'll be pretty busy with applications from now on, but it's not something that'll take all day for me, so any thoughts/experiences/suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

ychoi81 said:
I graduated last may, have been studying for mcat and helped my dad's business until April, and will be applying this summer. I was wondering if you guys got any suggestions what I should do until next year. Should I just volunteer and relax (well, in not-working sense) or find a job? I guess I'll be pretty busy with applications from now on, but it's not something that'll take all day for me, so any thoughts/experiences/suggestions?

I think you should spend this time volunteering, and or doing some sort of research work.

IMO

IMHO, you could work part-time and volunteer somewhere. I think it's important to keep your clinical work going, because schools like to see that dedication to the field. It is also great to have something to DO besides worry about getting into med school. I got very depressed this last year and I think it was partly due to pre-med/MCAT stress, and partly to do having nothing to do with myelf but worry. I volunteer about 20 hours a week now, but I have the luxury of not working because of a very generous and compassionate sig other.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I think volunteering would be the way to go. I worked at a research lab before ( 3yrs in undergrad, and the summer after graduation) and didn't like it at all, so i think i'll be staying away from the research this year. thanks for the inputs guys =)

One doc I spoke to said that it is best to do something that will produce something tangible -- publication (possibly from research, and not necessarily in the medical field), presentation at a conference, volunteering. Anything that will amp up your CV.

So, yeah, volunteering would work if you're not into research. :)

prana_md said:
IMHO, you could work part-time and volunteer somewhere. I think it's important to keep your clinical work going, because schools like to see that dedication to the field. It is also great to have something to DO besides worry about getting into med school. I got very depressed this last year and I think it was partly due to pre-med/MCAT stress, and partly to do having nothing to do with myelf but worry. I volunteer about 20 hours a week now, but I have the luxury of not working because of a very generous and compassionate sig other.

that's what i plan on doing. volunteering about 15-20 hours/week at a clinic and maybe getting a part time job. i'm SO looking foward to it :D