What should I do??? help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helbetsol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay here is the thing. my plan was to get in to medical school since I was in high school and I have been working hard for that. I really love helping people n I think I will be more satisfied and happy by that than any job...I know most people think about the money but that hasn't been the driving force behind my motivation. I'm international student here in the U.S. and I would still prefer to be a doc in my country (the money is a joke compared to US, seriously) I started out in community college on my freshman year and transferred into 4 year school. Now I have 4.0 GPA, I'm volunteering at two different hospitals and Red Cross, I'm doing some research at my school, I also have an opportunity to shadow a physician in the summer and also applied for a student assistant position in a biochem lab at my school...every thing is going good except I didn't take gen Chem 1 on my first semester of my freshman year so I'm not able to complete all of my chemistry in the end of my sophomore year. We have this pre health committee at my school n they said I have to wait another year because I won't have all the prerequisites to be evaluated by them...my advisor also said to wait a year because it's better to have more courses from 4-year school than community college. So what should I do????? I really want to apply to Med school and I'm still doing what I have to do to prepare myself for the application but I don't want to graduate late either...what do u guys think?
my first post btw :)
Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You need gen chem and subsequently organic chem (and biochem) in order to take the MCAT. If you have to take an extra year to do so, that's what you have to do. Or look into summer classes.

But I'm confused...you say you prefer to be a doctor in your home country, so why not go to med school there?

No I can’t go back…I added that to just tell you guys that money isn’t the big factor for making my decision to be a doctor. I’m not worried about MCAT, I believe I can do well by reading the prep books and taking courses. And unfortunately I am not able to take summer classes :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you have all the chemistry courses completed by your junior year? And the committee can evaluate you then? I'm having a little difficulty understanding your predicament. Are you a freshman? You need those chemistry courses as pre-reqs for med school anyway. It's not the end of the world to graduate a year later if that's what you need to do.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear. I'm sophomore and yes I will finish all my chemistry courses at the end of my junior year. The committee wants us to apply in the fall of our junior year to be considered for evaluation on the spring.when we apply in the fall we should finish all our requirements ( one year of bio, gen Chem, physics, Orgo....) my problem is I didn't finish my Orgo requirement and I have to wait for the fall of my senior year to be considered for evaluation and that means I have to apply to med school in the summer which makes me a year behind...I hope I made it clearer this time.
And thank you so much

You won't be behind. A very large proportion of applicants take time off between undergrad and med school, and taking 1-2 years off still means you are a traditional applicant. It's not necessary to go straight to med school.