what should I do?- need your help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InternalRocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

unfortunately I had to complete an extra month of surgery due to illness during my rotation. I was overworked during the rotation (100 hrs/wk in a very malignant place), worked for 14 days straight, and I got pneumonia and had to be at the hospital for 4 days, which I had an excuse for.

The surgery department felt that my surgical "experience" was inadequate that first month, so they made me repeat a month (which I am currently finishing) at the end of this, my third year.

I have been studying for Step 2ck, and am scheduled to take it August 9. Unfortunately, due to the surgery rotation, I have not had adequate preparation. After August 10, there is a transition to a form with less questions, thus the results will not be available until October 10.

What should I do? Will I still be invited on interviews without a Step 2 Score? Is it looked down upon if step 2 scores are not sent in with the app? Does any residency require step 2 during application? I got a 215 on my step one.

I will be applying to Internal medicine

Members don't see this ad.

that's the million dollar question right there buddy.
I'm in the same boat, if your banking on step2ck to uplift your app, do you wait till 10.07 when you get the score back to send out app's? or do you send it out while waiting for results...i just don't know. maybe send out half, to your lower tier programs..i dont know, not sure what im gonna do yet either.

push the test back if you aint ready, new form.. old form, it'll be tuff regardless.

bush league hospital, just another hoop to jump thru

You will get invited to a good number of interviews without step 2, as many places don't require a step 2 for interview. Many do require one for ranking of applicants, but that won't affect you. I recommend you talk to your IM advisor, but in all likelyhood it won't matter for interviews, and as 215 isn't bad you should be able to get a good number of interviews in IM regardless.