What Should I Do Now? (Please help!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaltySailor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'll try to make this quick. I GREATLY appreciate any feedback/advice. I'm operating out of fear at this point and I don't know who to talk to about this.

I'm 29 and have a 2.9 GPA in English from a top 20 school, (yeah, I know...) My goal is to enter into a US based medical school, (preferably MD, but at this point I suppose I'll have to consider the DO route as well).

I've worked as a military officer for almost 4 years now and really do not enjoy it. I tried asking one of my bosses for a letter and he said, "that really is not a good idea...". I'm not interested in becoming a doctor in the military.

So, given the fact that I have no letters of recommendation and a very low undergrad GPA, I'd be unable to apply for a post-bacc program. I began researching schools that offer a second bachelors degree, and USC was one school that claimed it did so (I live in California). When I called the school, they said they, "highly recommend" I don't get a second bachelors and go for a masters degree. Well, if I go for a masters degree, I'd probably need letters of rec and a high GPA... the cycle never seems to end... Besides, I don't want a masters degree, I want to become a doctor.

I've thought a lot about being a doctor and feel very strongly about my ambitions. I don't want to give up. What should I do at this point? You have no idea how depressing this is to me :(

ANY advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'll try to make this quick. I GREATLY appreciate any feedback/advice. I'm operating out of fear at this point and I don't know who to talk to about this.

I'm 29 and have a 2.9 GPA in English from a top 20 school, (yeah, I know...) My goal is to enter into a US based medical school, (preferably MD, but at this point I suppose I'll have to consider the DO route as well).

I've worked as a military officer for almost 4 years now and really do not enjoy it. I tried asking one of my bosses for a letter and he said, "that really is not a good idea...". I'm not interested in becoming a doctor in the military.

So, given the fact that I have no letters of recommendation and a very low undergrad GPA, I'd be unable to apply for a post-bacc program. I began researching schools that offer a second bachelors degree, and USC was one school that claimed it did so (I live in California). When I called the school, they said they, "highly recommend" I don't get a second bachelors and go for a masters degree. Well, if I go for a masters degree, I'd probably need letters of rec and a high GPA... the cycle never seems to end... Besides, I don't want a masters degree, I want to become a doctor.

I've thought a lot about being a doctor and feel very strongly about my ambitions. What should I do at this point?

ANY advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Hello,
It's not the end of the world for you. If being an MD is your dream, you can still achieve it.
Your GPA of 2.9 is low, however, you can always apply as a career changer post-baccalaureate (that's if you have not taken any science pre requisites). You can chose to do your own postbacc or apply to a formal one. The easiest one to get into is CSU East Bay. They accept both career changers and academic enhancers and only look at GPA. This school is located in California.

The AAMC website have a webpage where they list all the post-baccalaureate programs. Look at each specific program and see what is best for you. Call the admissions office for information. GPA is not the only thing they look at. It's just one of the many factors. Same thing with Medical School. Charles Drew also have a career changer program. It's located in So-Cal. You have to do the searching yourself. UC Berkeley Extension have classes you can take at a price of $880 for a 3 unit semester class.

You will also need a very very high MCAT score (new MCAT > 510). The MCAT test basic science knowledge. Don't just memorize the MCAT content. You have to be able to understand it and apply it to various situation. Take practice full length exams to see where you are scoring. Study smart, not hard. MCAT will have a questions such as: "A patient has high insulin levels. What does this say about patient's glucose level?" or scenarios where you have to apply what you know to the situation.

Just remember, once you are in a post-baccalaureate, do whatever it takes to get straight A's. You have be discipline yourself and be very focus. Utilize office hours, tutors, whatever you can. DO NOT SLACK OFF. Remove any sort of distractions that prevented you from doing well in the first place. Get to know those professors. They will be the one to write good letters for you. I know friends who are 35 and got into medical school. Age is not a problem, but since you're on the higher end of the age, you really have to spend all the time you have and focus. If not, you'll be just wasting time and money.

If you haven't already, you do need clinical experience. This is show admissions that you know what your future setting will be like. You can job shadow a doctor, be a scribe, volunteer in a clinic/hospital.

After you complete a postbacc and receive a high MCAT score, obtain good letters of recommendation, apply broadly (whether its MD or DO and all tier levels). Do some planning of when you think you can complete all the above.

I hope this helps
Good Luck!

1. Have you taken the pre-reqs?
2. What is your science GPA?

If you're gunning for MD:

• If it's only your non-science GPA that's bad, take some extra classes that you know you'll do well in and get it up to the 3.4-3.5 range. If you've already graduated, sign up for the classes as a "non-degree seeking student". Adcoms really don't care which classes make up your non-science GPA.
  • If your science GPA is also low and you've already taken all the pre-requisites, then consider either:
A. a post-bac (formal or informal) where you take upper level science classes to get your science gpa into the 3.4-3.5 range if you have a GPA. Do this if your science GPA is still salvageable (which I'm assuming it is since you aren't a science major).
B. An SMP if your science GPA is not salvageable (you have a ton of science credits already).​

For DO:
  • Do grade replacement as a non-degree seeking student until your gpas are in the 3.4-3.5 range.

I personally don't think doing an SMP (the type of masters that helps low-gpa applicants) is worth it if only your non-science gpa is holding you back.

In all of the above cases, keep up with clinical experience and get a good MCAT score.
That is how you get into med school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to everyone who replied! Does anyone know of any post-baccs that don't require a letter of recommendation for their entrance requirements? Ideally, I'd like to move outside of California, but if I have to stay here, thats fine too.

I have the post-9/11 GI bill which pays for all instate schools and most private schools, so money should not be a problem.

Do all universities allow students to enroll as a non degree seeking student?

What about second bachelors degrees? What schools allow them? USC apparently does offer a second bachelors, but they really don't, as explained in my initial post.

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who replied! Does anyone know of any post-baccs that don't require a letter of recommendation for their entrance requirements? Ideally, I'd like to move outside of California, but if I have to stay here, thats fine too.

I have the post-9/11 GI bill which pays for all instate schools and most private schools, so money should not be a problem.

Do all universities allow students to enroll as a non degree seeking student?

What about second bachelors degrees? What schools allow them? USC apparently does offer a second bachelors, but they really don't, as explained in my initial post.

Thanks!

California State University, East Bay (located in Hayward, CA) has a post-baccalaureate program that don't require letters or recommendation or personal essay. You just submit an application, application fee of $55 (it can be waived; the option is on the form) and official transcripts.

Yes, all universities has an open enrollment option. You just get last priority to sign up for classes.