what should I do to become more competitive for a school psych PhD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheelchairpsychgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
what should I do to become more competitive for a school psych PhD program? I am doubling majoring in social work & psych. I'll finish SW by next summer, start psych in the fall. I am taking the GRE in August. The sw program requires an internship at the end of the major, hoping to get something child related. I will get into research labs when I get over to the psych department. I might do an honors thesis as well. I was also an elementary stats tutor and an activity coordinator at an assisted living facility. I have a 3.8 gpa, it will be higher when I graduate.

Members don't see this ad.

Try to get as much research experience as possible. The thesis will help. Otherwise, you're on the right track and I have nothing to add. :) Come back when you're closer to applying and post in the WAMC thread... But for now, it sounds like you've thought this through and done your research!

For school psych, it would be great to get some experience in schools, perhaps through a research project and/or a part-time job as an educational aide (districts are desperate for good ones). Also, having some assessment experience would be helpful, as school psychologists these days do more assessment than treatment. You might be able to do assessments as part of a research project, and/or in a part-time job as a psychometrician.