What should i do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

szczscsccs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys this my first thread. I am currently a freshman at a four year institution in California. I moved to the United States of America last year in 2013 from a foreign country.

I want to ask i don't feel comfortable with my English, as English is my second language. I am thinking to take a Gap year after my first semester from school. And attend a local community college to improve my English in this Gap year and then return again to my four year institution.

i asked my professor and my pre-health adviser, but they totally didn't recommended.
How this will affect my application when i apply to Dental Schools ?
And what do you think it worth it ?

Any opinions or advices are totally welcome.!!

Members don't see this ad.

Stay in your current school. To improve your English, watch a ton of American television shows, I recommend "Friends." Also, be extra social, talk to everyone. And read books.

As for dental school, it won't be a problem as long as your grades are good enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay at your four year, work hard, you'll be fine. Don't throw yourself off course with the community college.

If you English is as good as your written English, you are fine.

It is not clear how CC is more conducive to learning English, but if language is a barrier to your academic success, you could throttle down your course load and get a job where conversation is a must-service industry, day care, nursing home. You could also do some serious reading with a book in one hand and dictionary in the other.

I agree, stay at your four-year institution and take advantage of the resources there! Watching TV and reading are definitely helpful, but so is joining and being active in a social extracurricular activity you enjoy. Join some clubs, be active, and talk to as many people as you possibly can, I think that's the fastest way to improve.

Community College offers English as second language classes, which will help me to improve my English. I didn't decide yet what will be my final decision take 4 classes at my institution and 1 at the CC, or drop for a while.

Community College offers English as second language classes, which will help me to improve my English. I didn't decide yet what will be my final decision take 4 classes at my institution and 1 at the CC, or drop for a while.
Since you, presumably, knew that CC offers ESL, why did you take a dive in the university pool?

Since you, presumably, knew that CC offers ESL, why did you take a dive in the university pool?
I didn't want to waste time and start getting college experiences, know other people interesting in professional schools, take my science courses in four year institution instead of CC, i want to live with my parents and this is the only four year institution near home so no housing tuition, got a small scholarship, offered a great position to start research with a professor last september, start build a good relationship with my professor, as they will write for me a letter of recommendation. But no English second language classes offer.

I didn't want to waste time and start getting college experiences, know other people interesting in professional schools, take my science courses in four year institution instead of CC, i want to live with my parents and this is the only four year institution near home so no housing tuition, got a small scholarship, offered a great position to start research with a professor last september, start build a good relationship with my professor, as they will write for me a letter of recommendation. But no English second language classes offer.
Check out the expression: "Haste makes waste!" All those valid reasons are no more different the moment you decided on attending CC then they were when you started your academic adventure. Incidentally, you might work on you run on sentences.

Last edited: