What should i do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

szczscsccs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys this my first thread. I am currently a freshman at a four year institution in California. I moved to the United States of America last year in 2013 from a foreign country.

I want to ask i don't feel comfortable with my English, as English is my second language. I am thinking to take a Gap year after my first semester from school. And attend a local community college to improve my English in this Gap year and then return again to my four year institution.

i asked my professor and my pre-health adviser, but they totally didn't recommended.
How this will affect my application when i apply to Dental Schools ?
And what do you think it worth it ?

Any opinions or advices are totally welcome.!!

Members don't see this ad.

Double posting is prohibited on SDN.

You should definitely improve your English.

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't even a pre-dental forum.

Go buy rosetta stone or take classes and learn English during your summers or in the evenings. There is no need to take a gap year for it in between your undergrad studies. And over the next 4 years you will improve slowly. I suggest you watch lots of tv and pick up on accent and pronunciation.

Reactions: 1 users
Go buy rosetta stone or take classes and learn English during your summers or in the evenings. There is no need to take a gap year for it in between your undergrad studies. And over the next 4 years you will improve slowly. I suggest you watch lots of tv and pick up on accent and pronunciation.

What PlaqueBuster said.

Yup, watch a lot of TV, go hang out with friends and at bars, and pick of rosetta to get some of the nitty gritty down. You will be good to go in 3 years. I have a friend from Slovakia who picked up english in like 4 months of living in the US. I just grilled him with vocabulary and stuff like all day every day since we were working together and he wanted to learn a lot. Find a friend in one of your classes who will do the same.

Rosetta stone is overrated. Use duolingo, that s*** is free and is like the SDN of European languages (the only downside being they only have European languages). Well, I maybe biased.

Reactions: 1 user
Take some english language learning classes in your local area.
Read Read Read. Not only will you understand english better but your VR will also improve!

See if your local library has some conversation groups for ESL people like yourself; I know mine does but I live in a city with a large immigrant population. If I ever moved to a new country and had to learn the language, I would be interested in something like that!