What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrpxo8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a freshman biology and chemistry major with a focus in pre-medicine. I formerly cheered and was a student athlete for my university and during my first semester I had four broken bones in my face. Because of this I was out of school for a month, due to surgery and being on heavy pain meds, not to mention doctor appointments. I was signed out of classes officially with doctor notes and everything but most of my professors were unable to accommodate for me due to most of my classes being very large lecture halls. After coming back from my injury, it was literally impossible to pass any of my classes. I calculated all of my grades and even if I had made all 100's on every assignment until the end of the semester, I still would have failed. I tried my best, but needless to say, I failed every class except one in which I made a D because of extra credit. I know I can explain this in a personal statement and interviews when applying to medical schools but I was taking all science and math classes that semester so it really messed up my GPA. Second semester I made mostly A+'s, A's, and some B+'s. I'm taking two summer sessions this summer to make up for the classes from first semester. What should I do? Should I transfer so my GPA starts over? I'm VERY worried because this wasn't due to anything I could control and I don't want this poor semester to stop me from getting into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Start acing everything from now on. Withdraw from all classes now.

I'm currently a freshman biology and chemistry major with a focus in pre-medicine. I formerly cheered and was a student athlete for my university and during my first semester I had four broken bones in my face. Because of this I was out of school for a month, due to surgery and being on heavy pain meds, not to mention doctor appointments. I was signed out of classes officially with doctor notes and everything but most of my professors were unable to accommodate for me due to most of my classes being very large lecture halls. After coming back from my injury, it was literally impossible to pass any of my classes. I calculated all of my grades and even if I had made all 100's on every assignment until the end of the semester, I still would have failed. I tried my best, but needless to say, I failed every class except one in which I made a D because of extra credit. I know I can explain this in a personal statement and interviews when applying to medical schools but I was taking all science and math classes that semester so it really messed up my GPA. Second semester I made mostly A+'s, A's, and some B+'s. I'm taking two summer sessions this summer to make up for the classes from first semester. What should I do? Should I transfer so my GPA starts over? I'm VERY worried because this wasn't due to anything I could control and I don't want this poor semester to stop me from getting into medical school.

I know you must be very stressed but I can assure you medical schools will acknowledge your predicament. There is a place on your application to talk about hardships. It would be ridiculous if you didn't get into medical school because your face got smashed in first year, especially if you pull decent grades in second third and forth. Keep your chin up :)