What Should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knowaiden

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys please let me know your honest opinion, I don't care if they sound nice I want honest answers.
I am a 25 Year old refugee, from IRAQ, first time college student in the family, graduated, and now trying to apply for the 2nd time to medical school.

When my first 2 years of undergraduate were back in 2013-2015 and were horrible, I didn't know I wanted to be a physician and I didn't care about classes, so my GPA really got destroyed, it wasn't until i moved to university between 2015-2020 that I graduated with a major in biology and a minor of chemistry, with a cGPA of 3.4.

Now when i applied to my first cycle I didn't realize that they combine the GPA from both my Community College and University, and this is what I ended up with.

It is absolutely crushing and I don't know what to do. I am currently graduated with a degree from a University with a GPA of 3.4
I didn't know an SMP program because they are so expensive and I am broke, they also require a 3.0 to enter which I don't have. I am currently taking 14 credits as a DIY-Post Bacc with all A's so a whole semester of Post Bacc i got a 4.0, but in the grand scheme of things it wont even move my cGPA that much for medical school. What do I do? I don't want my bad choices 8 years ago to haunt me for the rest of my life.... Here are my stats.

MCAT First take July 7th 2020----498
123-123-125-127
MCAT 2nd take September 28th 2020----507
130-123-126-128

Shadowing
: I have 400 Hours
Clinical Experience: I have a total of 8000 Hours---I worked as a PCT ( Patient Care Tech for a Dialysis hospital for the past 3 years)
Research: I have a 100 Hours
Volunteering: I have 700 hours.
TA/StudyGroup Leader/Tutor: I have a total of 820 Hours over my university career.
Community Service: I have 300 Hours
Hobbies: I have 600 Hours I play college level soccer.

I can even attach my full application here if that is okay to get a better idea of where I am at.

I applied to 38 schools all MD, because I thought my GPA was going to be at least a 3.4. I would like to know what kind of a school list i can get with my current stats. I got 35 secondary's, but didn't get a single interview or a wait list. I want to apply to DO I just didn't do it the first cycle because I was late for their application. Let me know if other information is needed.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• GPA.JPG
    GPA.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 104
You’re on the right path with the postbac. Keep acing classes until you at least get your science and cumulative GPA’s above 3.0 all the while maintaining your extracurriculars. If your MCAT hasn’t expired by the time you finish your postbac then you should apply to D.O. schools and lower tier M.D. schools

Reactions: 1 user
Hello guys please let me know your honest opinion, I don't care if they sound nice I want honest answers.
I am a 25 Year old refugee, from IRAQ, first time college student in the family, graduated, and now trying to apply for the 2nd time to medical school.

When my first 2 years of undergraduate were back in 2013-2015 and were horrible, I didn't know I wanted to be a physician and I didn't care about classes, so my GPA really got destroyed, it wasn't until i moved to university between 2015-2020 that I graduated with a major in biology and a minor of chemistry, with a cGPA of 3.4.

Now when i applied to my first cycle I didn't realize that they combine the GPA from both my Community College and University, and this is what I ended up with.

It is absolutely crushing and I don't know what to do. I am currently graduated with a degree from a University with a GPA of 3.4
I didn't know an SMP program because they are so expensive and I am broke, they also require a 3.0 to enter which I don't have. I am currently taking 14 credits as a DIY-Post Bacc with all A's so a whole semester of Post Bacc i got a 4.0, but in the grand scheme of things it wont even move my cGPA that much for medical school. What do I do? I don't want my bad choices 8 years ago to haunt me for the rest of my life.... Here are my stats.

MCAT First take July 7th 2020----498
123-123-125-127
MCAT 2nd take September 28th 2020----507
130-123-126-128

Shadowing
: I have 400 Hours
Clinical Experience: I have a total of 8000 Hours---I worked as a PCT ( Patient Care Tech for a Dialysis hospital for the past 3 years)
Research: I have a 100 Hours
Volunteering: I have 700 hours.
TA/StudyGroup Leader/Tutor: I have a total of 820 Hours over my university career.
Community Service: I have 300 Hours
Hobbies: I have 600 Hours I play college level soccer.

I can even attach my full application here if that is okay to get a better idea of where I am at.

I applied to 38 schools all MD, because I thought my GPA was going to be at least a 3.4. I would like to know what kind of a school list i can get with my current stats. I got 35 secondary's, but didn't get a single interview or a wait list. I want to apply to DO I just didn't do it the first cycle because I was late for their application. Let me know if other information is needed.

Thank you.
Realistically shoot for a DO program.

Reactions: 1 users