What should I eat for the breakfast before my DAT? Also snacks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prehealthstudent69

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to get hungry throughout the test, but I also don't want to have a food coma either... what do you guys suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a protein bar as my snack, but I was so hyped on coffee I ate half of it.

For breakfast go eat some mixed fruit, cereal, an egg.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are not used to it, don't drink caffeinated drinks. Unless you want to have more frequent restroom breaks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Morning = Egg, OJ, slice of bread with some butter

During exam break = almonds and walnuts; 1/2 granola bar; some water (to rehydrate); couple of bites from an apple
(I think I wasn't that hungry anyways after that breakfast. I ate more so that I don't get hungry and lose focus)

I refrained from drinking liquids a couple hours prior to the test--didn't want to pee in the middle of the test! something light but filling like cereal is great. and depending on how crowded your prometric is, I wouldn't bank on eating during the break. I had just enough time to go to the bathroom and back.

Breakfast: Whatever you normally eat. Why is this different?
Snack: Anything with carbs.

I literally didn't eat breakfast or have a snack during the break. I also barely slept cause I was so distraught that Tiger shot a 74,72 on the weekend in the 2012 PGA championship after having a chance to win (This is actually 100% True).......Seriously the effect that this kind of stuff has on your performance is very minimal and pales in comparison to your preparation and knowledge of the material. Worrying about little things like this will only stress you out more and in my opinion stress is your worst enemy when taking this test....If you prepare like you should you will do fine on the DAT, and there are literally hundreds upon hundreds of people on these forums who can corroborate that sentiment...

Members don't see this ad :)
I had some cold Mcnuggets, that I picked up on the way to the test center.

I took mine in the afternoon. Had a full breakfast and lunch, both pretty heavy meals.

Spent 20 minutes during RC taking a dump lol. Good thing I didn't have to go during PAT.

LOL ^^^

Breakfast: Whatever you normally eat. Why is this different?
Snack: Anything with carbs.

Exactly. Why change things just because you're taking a test? My breakfast was 2 whole eggs, 4 egg whites, and 1/2 cup of oatmeal with blueberries (of course I always eat that for breakfast so it was nothing new). I had a 5-Hour Energy before the exam and a protein/carb bar for my break.

I took my test in the morning.

I had a banana, some mixed nuts, and water. I had to pee after the first part of the test, but that's about it. ;)

Anything that is high in protein and has a low glycemic index will help your blood sugar from crashing in the middle of the test. Eggs are excellent sources of protein, you should also bring a snack of nuts and fresh fruit to eat during the test to keep your energy up .

I'm getting ready to start studying for the DAT, so I won't be taking it for a few months.

For breakfast I'm probably going to have either oatmeal made with protein powder, fruits, and nuts or an omelet with veggies and toast.

As a snack, I'm planning on bringing honey (probably in a small tupperware) and either a fruit or some almonds. I really like the quick boost in energy that a spoonful or two of honey gives me, and I think having some complex carbs with it would be good.

Whatever you end up eating, I think it should be something that has been tried and tested by you and proven to have a good effect on your body. I

ate the same stuff I always eat...leftover food from dinner. Had some leftover pasta and meatballs that I ate in the morning. Don't change your eating habit because of a test. Bring a granola bar to snack on during your breaks or something

eat what you normally eat in the morning. if you don't eat in the mornings start doing it a week or so before your DAT that way your body gets use to it. Eat light too like an egg and toast with some fruit. I made the mistake of just wolfing down aton food before my DAT and my body wasn't use to eating in the morning. I had to take a massive **** and couldn't focus.

Fistful of nuts before the test. Nothing sugary or caffeinated.

Eat nothing & binge on Chick-fil-a afterwards..LOL! I had never been so hungry in my life. Maybe the nervous belly, bubble guts, and emotional relief finally let me feel my senses that I hadn't eaten in 24 hours.