What Should I Focus on Improving?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

animalrie

TAMU c/o 2020!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to the forums and am hoping to get some advice about vet school apps. I'll be a 3rd year this August at UT Austin and am planning to apply to Texas A&M's vet school Fall of 2015. I'd really like to increase my chances of getting in over the next year or so and would love ya'lls input. Thanks! (I didn't think I should put this in the What are My Chances thread b/c I'm a little far away from applying and some of my stats aren't even complete, like GRE scores)

B.S. in Biology-Honors with minor in Animal Sentience (in an honors program here where you design your own minor)
GPA: 3.96 (total), 4.0 (science)
GRE: haven't taken yet...I took a full practice test the other day to see where I stand (Q: 157, V: 162...didn't take essay but not too worried about it) I also ordered study books that I haven't broken open yet but I plan to study this fall and take it in January

Vet Experience: (probably will have about 1000 hours by application)
Shadowing Veterinary Surgeon
Shadowing in Vet Clinic
Volunteer at low cost Spay/Neuter clinic
Medical volunteer at animal shelter
Receptionist/Tech Assistant at Vet Clinic from high school
*note: this is all small animal...I'm not very interested in large animal medicine but should I get experience anyway (I do have horse experience through Polo, just not LA vet experience)

Animal Experience:
Play Polo (>1000 hrs by application, probably)
Volunteer in animal behavior lab (care for fish, octopuses, assist w/ research) since 1st yr (this isn't vet experience, right?)
Fostering cats for local animal shelter
Does any sort of pet owning experience count? (I've owned quite the variety)
Work at aquarium/fish store in high school

ECs
Co-founded an organization
Started a mentor program w/ local middle school
Mentor in Natural Sciences program

A worry of mine is that I'm only planning to apply to Texas A&M...I believe I have the best chance there since it's my state school (not to mention a much better tuition), but is it crazy to put all my eggs in one basket?

So any ideas on where I can beef up my application? I'd appreciate any help ya'll can give!

Members don't see this ad.

The 'chances' thread is just perfect for this post. It really is better there even though you are earlier in the process. Nothing wrong with that.

How long are GRE results good for? Might be worth it to take it now so it's out of the way and you know where you sit. But that's only if the results are good for enough years to carry you through.

Keep getting veterinary experience. 1000 is great (and more than I had), but pushing into that 1200-1400 range would be fantastic. Try and get a bit more species variety. You're correct that you should get more LA experience. Not just horse - why not spend a week or two during next summer with a dairy vet? It's not like it has to be a TON of experience.

I don't think it's crazy to apply to only one school - it all depends on your reasons. If it's your in-state, it's cheaper, and you really want to stay near home, and you're prepared to maybe take a second go at it if you don't get in first year ... then why would anyone say that's crazy? Makes all the sense in the world to me. (Not surprising; I only applied to my in-state, so I'm probably biased.)

I think your application is on track and looking good. Stay active with gaining experience, and gain more variety. Everything else, at least on the surface, looks just fine.

Thanks for the help! I'll go ahead and post this in that thread.