What should I improve in the next year? What MCAT to be competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaNuit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
xxxxxx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm taking the MCAT in April/May 2014 and applying that June.
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.4
With a very strong upward trend.
ECs:
-100 hours ED volunteering
-2 years research experience (no publications): one of these years was spent enrolling patients in an ED
-150+ hours volunteering with Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation
-100 hours as an adviser to high school peer court mentors
-~50 hours shadowing
-TAed for 2 semesters for a research class

I will likely have 2 strong letters of recommendation and a few other average ones.

Edit: I also just applied for a scribe job in a level I trauma center, so we will see what happens with that.

minimum 32 for MD schools...aim for 34+ though to stand a fair shot. For DO, get 25+ to score a few interviews.

minimum 32 for MD schools...aim for 34+ though to stand a fair shot. For DO, get 25+ to score a few interviews.

Besides studying for the MCAT and my GPA. Do you think that there is anything in particular that needs to be strengthened?

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides studying for the MCAT and my GPA. Do you think that there is anything in particular that needs to be strengthened?

Best things to improve would be leadership and shadowing. Your shadowing is acceptable, but could be improved, and you don't really have any peer leadership (as in, campus organizations and such). And of course, more volunteering never hurt anybody. :)

Overall though, You're looking fine assuming you can pull that gpa up a bit and do well on the MCAT.

Stay on your trajectory; keep acing classes.

Shoot for MCAT of >33.

I'm taking the MCAT in April/May 2014 and applying that June.
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.4
With a very strong upward trend.
ECs:
-100 hours ED volunteering
-2 years research experience (no publications): one of these years was spent enrolling patients in an ED
-150+ hours volunteering with Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation
-100 hours as an adviser to high school peer court mentors
-~50 hours shadowing
-TAed for 2 semesters for a research class

I will likely have 2 strong letters of recommendation and a few other average ones.

Edit: I also just applied for a scribe job in a level I trauma center, so we will see what happens with that.

Best things to improve would be leadership and shadowing. Your shadowing is acceptable, but could be improved, and you don't really have any peer leadership (as in, campus organizations and such). And of course, more volunteering never hurt anybody. :)

Overall though, You're looking fine assuming you can pull that gpa up a bit and do well on the MCAT.
I forgot to mention that I was on student government for a year. I edited the OP to reflect that. Thank you for the advice though.

Stay on your trajectory; keep acing classes.

Shoot for MCAT of >33.
I'll try. Thank you.