What should I read aside from the economist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uafl112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont wanna subscribe to the economist. What other sources are out there that people like?

Members don't see this ad.

You could try to see if the economist does what NYT does. NYT allows you to read 10 free articles a month. If Economist allows you that free number of articles, then you'd have 20 articles for the month. Usually NYT and economist is advised for the MCAT.

I've never been a fan of reading a magazine to improve my MCAT score but I remember when I looked into it at the beginning, "The Atlantic" was a very good one

Reactions: 1 user
Homer's Odyssey

jk... If you still have time or want to switch it up, I would try to read Nature or The Cell to get a feel for the sciencey verbal stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could check to see if your library has a public subscription to Zinio, and read all the free economist magazines you want. I have them permanently downloaded onto my account for free; back issues are available too.

When you take AAMC practice tests, read the citations. Then for your practice, read stuff from the same authors.

The Berkeley Review VR pulls a lot of their articles from The New Republic which is available online.

Reactions: 1 users
Homer's Odyssey

jk... If you still have time or want to switch it up, I would try to read Nature or The Cell to get a feel for the sciencey verbal stuff.
Why did you say jk for Homer's Odyssey? The language isn't advanced enough to improve your verbal score?

Last edited:
I dont wanna subscribe to the economist. What other sources are out there that people like?
I am not speaking from the perspective of a post MCATee, but I might suggest that you look into reading some good history. The Story of Civilization by Will Durant, was the 10 volume series of the world's history that I recently started on, and that series uses some seriously challenging language. I am 800 pages into the first 920 page book, and have to look up probably 50 words per 1.5 hour session. After two volumes of this (which I will have read by the MCAT, hopefully) and a couple classic novels, I think it'd be safe to say that your language skills (and reading comprehension) will improve dramatically. Will Durant is an interesting, yet very demanding writer, and practically is the reason that Simon and Schuster ever made it big. From what I've seen of the Economist, the language itself is much less complex than these books.

By the way, I only started reading The Story of Civilization (specifically, Our Oriental Heritage) after undergoing research to determine the best history books around. So it has a good reputation.

You could try to see if the economist does what NYT does. NYT allows you to read 10 free articles a month. If Economist allows you that free number of articles, then you'd have 20 articles for the month. Usually NYT and economist is advised for the MCAT.

yea the economist gives 3 articles a week so thats roughly 12 a month. But what if i wanna read more than that?