What should I set out to learn in shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepod89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got approved for a 160 hour internship where I shadow a podiatrist and am expected to write a paper on what I learned.

The paper requires me to establish three learning objectives beforehand, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what I should set out to learn? The guideline says to use the question "What do I want to be able to do at the end of this internship that I can't currently do?" to come up with the objectives. Each learning objective is also supposed to have the steps I'll take to achieve each goal, and then a section where it asks "How are you going to prove to yourself, your supervisor, and your academic advisor that you have these new skills?"

So basically the task is to come up with 3 learning objectives, the steps to achieve them, and how I'll demonstrate that I learned them. They are looking for specific things, not "I want to learn more about podiatry."

I was thinking one objective could be to learn "how to efficiently run a medical practice." The steps could just be things I notice about how the office is run that I think makes it run more smoothly. I could explain some specific things and that could be how I demonstrate how I learned it..
Another objective could be something like me learning about how podiatrists determine when surgery is necessary and when it isn't for things like bunions. The objective could read "I want to know how podiatrists decide when surgery is necessary for patients with bunions." I could just take notes on what patients are recommended surgery and what patients aren't.

I'm not trying to be lazy and turn to a forum to have someone else to my paper for me or anything.. just seeing if anyone has any general ideas as to how I should try to set out to do this? Are the objectives I came up with at least on the right track? Basically my question is what kinds of things can I set out to learn in a podiatrist's office? I want to get the most out of this internship, and want to make sure that my paper reflects my interest for the field. Any general answer would be appreciated..I can try to figure out how to implement it in the paper, but I'm just not exactly sure where to get started and what I should try to learn!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are on the right track, prepod89. This sounds like a really good internship you have decided to participate in at the podiatrist's office.

There is no right or wrong answer to these objectives. From what I see in your post, the podiatrist wants to see that you are actively thinking about this internship and not just watching in a corner. One of your objectives could be along the lines of "Does the practice of podiatry fit what I believe my skill-set and interests to be and why/how?" In this situation, I would then write about what I believe my skill-set and interests to be and how podiatry matches or does not match them. Just an example. :)

I would strongly suggest to not just take what people suggest but to really put some thought into this. This could potentially be your future career and you really want to be sure that this is what you want (this goes for any possible future profession). If you find a job that you enjoy getting up for every day, you will never 'work' a day in your life.

160 hours....wtf?

Anyway...I don't know. If you want it to be personal, cater it to your interests in the field. If you want it to be general, then just do an overview of the specialty. I like the surgical option idea. I would personally do a mix of both. Something like...

• What are the daily duties of a pod?
  • What is a pod's significance in health care?
  • What aspects of this career make it appealing?
  • How do patients benefit from seeing a pod?
  • What is the most common reason to see a pod?

I hope I'm on the right track...lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing the internship is set at so many hours because the OP is getting college credit for it?

If you want the learning objectives to be actual "skills" (which can be silly to an extent, seeing as you are only "shadowing"):
- Able to effectively communicate/interact with a patient
- Able to effectively communicate/interact with other healthcare professionals
- Properly identify basic foot and ankle anatomy
- Understand common causes of neuropathic pain (really you can substitute any F&A pathology)
- Demonstrate proper aseptic technique for local injection (Doubt he/she'll let you do it but seeing it hundreds of times should be plenty for you to talk somebody else through it or write about it)

GL. try not to get too bored...thats a whole lot of shadowing...

Wow, that is a great opportunity! You will put my shadowing hours to shame!

Thanks a lot for the help everyone! Definitely got some good ideas here. Yeah it's 160 hours because it's 3 credits so I guess they really want to make sure I work for it haha...It'll be cool to get that much exposure to the field. I have a feeling that I'll think of even more things to put in the paper as I do the actual shadowing. Can't wait to get started!

I would tend to agree with dtrack. I don't believe it's practical to expect you to learn any true podiatric/medical skills by shadowing this early in your training. I also don't personally agree with a question such as this paricular doctor's criteria for a patient to have bunion surgery. That's way to specific at this point in your career.

Your point regarding learning how to run a practice is more in line with what I believe is appropriate,

Other possible objectives to learn are:

How the doctor interacts with office staff

How the doctor interacts with patients

What skills you believe are needed to be a successful podiatrist

The scope of practice of podiatry and the different pathology that is treated daily

The importance of communication with staff, patients and other professionals

The importance of staff and ancillary staff

The importance of maintaining patient confidentiality and privacy

The ability and importance of being able to adapt to different situations or to be able to adapt to an unexpected event.

These are just a few. But I would avoid attempting to "learn" actual medical issues at this point in training. But that's just my opinion.

Well since you are pre-pod I would go out on a whim and say "Can I see myself doing this/seeing the patients he/she is seeing everyday, for the rest of my life" Isn't the purpose of shadowing revolve around the self and your reflections? I focused on the why while shadowing, not the how. The how I will learn in school/residency