What specialties were competitive in the past?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There was a paper that looked at lifetime earnings of general otolaryngologists vs. fellowship-trained ENTs. As I recall, the only subspecialty that made more money than general ENT was rhinology. Everything else tended to make less money (even facial plastics), usually because fellowship-trained ENTs are in academics.

That's confounding, though.

Or sorry, "common response," because the variable z, "likelihood of entering academics" affects both x, "fellowship Y/N" and y, "earnings."

I guess Epidemiology does come in handy.

Members don't see this ad.

It's amazing how quick people are to judge based on only knowing someone's username.

I bet my last patient is glad that I'm the only one on the team that thought their AMS could be attributed to DVT/PE even tough they were on Xarelto...But then again, it was probably just luck.

Or the patient with cellulitis that I put in PRN ativan for vital instability in alcohol withdrawal that was used after the third day of admission (based on their hyponatremia on day 1)...

Or the patient we admitted for syncope during dialysis that I diagnosed with pertussis and confirmed with PCR...

Or the patient that wasn't even mine that I might have just diagnosed with subclavian steal based on a murmur and left hand soreness/paresthesias with use...

Those were probably just luck though. After all, I'm only a 3 week old resident.

Keep on hating, haters.

Edit: Sorry for going so far off track with this thread. I'm committing my own pet peeve.

It's amazing how quick people are to judge based on only knowing someone's username.

I bet my last patient is glad that I'm the only one on the team that thought their AMS could be attributed to DVT/PE even tough they were on Xarelto...But then again, it was probably just luck.

Or the patient with cellulitis that I put in PRN ativan for vital instability in alcohol withdrawal that was used after the third day of admission (based on their hyponatremia on day 1)...

Or the patient we admitted for syncope during dialysis that I diagnosed with pertussis and confirmed with PCR...

Or the patient that wasn't even mine that I might have just diagnosed with subclavian steal based on a murmur and left hand soreness/paresthesias with use...

Those were probably just luck though. After all, I'm only a 3 week old resident.

Keep on hating, haters.

Edit: Sorry for going so far off track with this thread. I'm committing my own pet peeve.

Congratulations. You're the worlds smartest intern.

Would you like a cookie?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Keep on hating, haters.

You want claps for putting in prn ativan for someone in alcohol withdrawal? Oh and "might have diagnosed" with subclavian steal syndrome doesn't count, and I'm sure you know that.

When we're talking about knowing when a patient is sick or not, it's more knowing when it's likely that a patient will decompensate later or very quickly when things look well to the untrained eye. Meaning you notice subtle things that others may not notice. We're not talking about triaging them. If that was the case a nurse could do that.