What specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kgm4 said:
heh. we are nerds.

CCTGA

is this a variant of TGA?

So as not to hijack the thread too far, I am going to train in Neurology at Emory. I know this already b/c I'm an MSIV. I am reading this forum b/c I suffer unprecedented boredom secondary to finishing all of my requirements.

For what it's worth, Neurology was on my list going into med school.

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ambs said:
Actually, no. How presumptuous of you!

I've worked in cardiology for the past 3+ years, so I know what I'm talking about. I love it! I have worked with all kinds of cardiologists, and I have decided at this point that I want to be involved in procedures - definitely not at the surgical (cardiothoracic surgery) level but caths, PTCAs and pacemaker implantation.

It's awfully specific when you haven't started medical school yet. You just happened to pick the specialty which has an average salary of over $600,000 (probably close to $700,000 now) per year. It's hard not to be presumptuous when a pre-med has the specific goal of intervention cardiology, probably the most lucrative specialty available today.

g3pro said:
Wow, I can tell that you are a greedy bastard already!

Why do people feel the need to call people greedy that want to earn a lot of money after they worked so hard to get where they are .Even if he/she did pick that specialty due to its massive earning potential, what's wrong with that. I say get off the high horse.

Members don't see this ad :)
ER/Critical Care/Trauma

Alexander Pink said:
Why do people feel the need to call people greedy that want to earn a lot of money after they worked so hard to get where they are .Even if he/she did pick that specialty due to its massive earning potential, what's wrong with that. I say get off the high horse.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that I can see through it.

Rolandicfissure said:
is this a variant of TGA?

It is--congenitally corrected TGA. Basically it's TGA where the ventricles are transposed too (if this makes sense--I can't think of a great way to describe it), correcting the problem of oxygenated and deoxygenated blood going to the wrong places. There's still a problem though because in this situation the right ventricle is pumping to the whole body, and it's really not designed to do that, so it tends to fail in adulthood.

When I started thinking about medicine, I was considering psych or peds. Now I don't think psych would be for me but peds is still a possibility. I'm really interested in neuro and ob/gyn, maybe RE. I think I'd like EM too. I haven't had as much exposure to the specialties as I'd like - most of my list is kinds of doctors I've been to! (peds, neuro, ob/gyn, EM.) So I expect to change my mind in med school.