What specifically are top tier residency programs looking for in an applicant's research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

criznazy53

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get how # of publications, author rank, name of the journal, etc could rank one applicant higher than the other.

Are programs trying to find applicants that has already done specific medical research in the residency's area of interest and could "hit the ground running"?

Or are they trying to find more general research interest, skills, and past success in applicant?
How willing is an IM residency going to take applicants who have little to no research publications( but research in other areas) in a specific field they are applying into?

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking only for my field (Ob/Gyn), it's usually considered much more important that the applicant demonstrate an interest in research and experience with formulating and answering a research question. I imagine it's similar for Medicine, as opposed to fields like ENT or Ortho which tend to expect more specialty-specific research experience. But in any case, there really isn't any such thing as a residency's "area of interest." Your big research powerhouse programs are going to have a multitude of faculty with research interests that run the gamut of the specialty. So while of course having research interest within the specialty helps, don't feel like you need to tailor your research to a particular program- you couldn't even if you wanted to.

I get how # of publications, author rank, name of the journal, etc could rank one applicant higher than the other.

Are programs trying to find applicants that has already done specific medical research in the residency's area of interest and could "hit the ground running"?

Or are they trying to find more general research interest, skills, and past success in applicant?
How willing is an IM residency going to take applicants who have little to no research publications( but research in other areas) in a specific field they are applying into?

If the top tier institution has a strong reputation in research, then the amount of research/publication you have completed will be considered. If you haven't done any, and you don't explain why in your personal statement, I would imagine you will not get an interview.

Top tier institutions, I work at one so know a little about the thought process, look for well-rounded candidates. We look for applicants who are strong in a number of areas e.g. scholarship, grades/scores, and personality. Your success is our success and vice versa. We have a vested interest in training strong clinicians and researchers.

Reactions: 1 user
Interest and productivity in research is what they are looking for. A guy who cranks out a couple of papers a year will likely continue to do so. The area of interest is somewhat less important, although publications in journals they are familiar with always helps.