WHAT THE f***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V4viet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever since I've decided to go into Podiatry my family and my sisters been looking at me like a im a F***ing failure when in fact the Pod. curriculum and study time is just as hard as MD from what i heard. The only reason why MD schools are harder to get into because it allow the invidual to have more options later on and therefore more popular. I've been talking with my podiatrist about orthopaedic surgeon that specialized on ankle and foot, and quite frankly I think that Podiatrist know A LOT MORE THAN THEY DO ON ABOUT THE FEET BUT PATIENTS NEVER GO TO PODIATRIST FIRST!!! It drives me insane when podiatrist can do so much for the patients but not many people acknowledge that... I just got off the phone w/ my sisters and she just made me feel so mad about the fact that podiatrist is THAT much easier when in fact from what i've heard it's NOT!!! Getting on a rollercoaster is easy but surviving the roller coaster is not always fun for some individual. That's exactly how it is w/ medicine. Except, for MD and DO they require more to get on the roller coaster. When it come down to it, It'S JUST A ROLLER COASTER. I would love to know you guys opinion on this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

V4viet said:
Ever since I've decided to go into Podiatry my family and my sisters been looking at me like a im a F***ing failure when in fact the Pod. curriculum and study time is just as hard as MD from what i heard. The only reason why MD schools are harder to get into because it allow the invidual to have more options later on and therefore more popular. I've been talking with my podiatrist about orthopaedic surgeon that specialized on ankle and foot, and quite frankly I think that Podiatrist know A LOT MORE THAN THEY DO ON ABOUT THE FEET BUT PATIENTS NEVER GO TO PODIATRIST FIRST!!! It drives me insane when podiatrist can do so much for the patients but not many people acknowledge that... I just got off the phone w/ my sisters and she just made me feel so mad about the fact that podiatrist is THAT much easier when in fact from what i've heard it's NOT!!! Getting on a rollercoaster is easy but surviving the roller coaster is not always fun for some individual. That's exactly how it is w/ medicine. Except, for MD and DO they require more to get on the roller coaster. When it come down to it, It'S JUST A ROLLER COASTER. I would love to know you guys opinion on this matter.
I am not a podiatrist, but like you I am viet. While many families have pressure on their children to succeed, it is greatest in asian families. It is so sad, asian parents feel like if their children don't become MD's they feel it reflects on them as failures as parents...who cares about the child's happiness? Gasp! What will uncle Ho and aunt Nga think! Their 4 kids become doctors! Even now, I hear second generation viets telling their ELEMENTARY age children..."you can be any type of physician you want honey" (my sister!)
Oh well, just telling you my Viet bro...do what makes you happy cuz youre gonna be doing it for the next 30 years!!!

FamilyMD said:
I am not a podiatrist, but like you I am viet. While many families have pressure on their children to succeed, it is greatest in asian families. It is so sad, asian parents feel like if their children don't become MD's they feel it reflects on them as failures as parents...who cares about the child's happiness? Gasp! What will uncle Ho and aunt Nga think! Their 4 kids become doctors! Even now, I hear second generation viets telling their ELEMENTARY age children..."you can be any type of physician you want honey" (my sister!)
Oh well, just telling you my Viet bro...do what makes you happy cuz youre gonna be doing it for the next 30 years!!!

Hey man thanks a lot for that and in all honesty, I'm going to be the best podiatrist that i can be and my family will sooner or later realized that what i'm doing is an awesome thing. I don't understand why Viet FAMILY CARE so darn much about what their friends think etcc.. you know what i mean? Forget about the kid happiness.. thanks for that bro.. made me feel a little bit better.. hey you want to chat online sometimes? what's your sn on AIM? and what school do you go to? do you have any adivces for my interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
V4viet said:
Hey man thanks a lot for that and in all honesty, I'm going to be the best podiatrist that i can be and my family will sooner or later realized that what i'm doing is an awesome thing. I don't understand why Viet FAMILY CARE so darn much about what their friends think etcc.. you know what i mean? Forget about the kid happiness.. thanks for that bro.. made me feel a little bit better.. hey you want to chat online sometimes? what's your sn on AIM? and what school do you go to? do you have any adivces for my interviews?
Actually I graduated med school (MCV) in 1997-damn I feel old :eek: and finished residency in 2001 so I've been in practice for bout 6 years now. I have a pretty cool practice w/about 50% viet patients. You know those cash-paying nail tech :thumbup: LOL. I don't even know how to chat online but am more than happy to give any advice you care to post. Be happy and EAT YOUR PHO!

FamilyMD said:
Actually I graduated med school (MCV) in 1997-damn I feel old :eek: and finished residency in 2001 so I've been in practice for bout 6 years now. I have a pretty cool practice w/about 50% viet patients. You know those cash-paying nail tech :thumbup: LOL. I don't even know how to chat online but am more than happy to give any advice you care to post. Be happy and EAT YOUR PHO!

Well do you know much about surgical residency for podiatrist? and are there a lot of it and is it hard to get into? Do you of any podiatrist and their anual income? Thank you so much for replying by the way

V4viet said:
Well do you know much about surgical residency for podiatrist? and are there a lot of it and is it hard to get into? Do you of any podiatrist and their anual income? Thank you so much for replying by the way
Sorry dude, here more for moral support as I am not in the podiatry world. I will say in one of my Medicine rotation at the VA we had a podiatry kid and he told me ALL of the new podiatry grads do surgical residencies now-and it seems there are different lenghts of residencies-guess it's up to each person?
Are you in college or still high school?

FamilyMD said:
Sorry dude, here more for moral support as I am not in the podiatry world. I will say in one of my Medicine rotation at the VA we had a podiatry kid and he told me ALL of the new podiatry grads do surgical residencies now-and it seems there are different lenghts of residencies-guess it's up to each person?
Are you in college or still high school?

I'm in college and graduating from VCU this spring. I have 4 interviews coming up this spring break (Temple, North Chicago, Ohio, and Iawa) for podiatry school. So any advice from any more experience person would help for my interview and in terms of getting into a residency of my choice.. How can I improve my application once i'm in podiatry school? what can i do to make myself stand out more?

V4viet said:
I'm in college and graduating from VCU this spring. I have 4 interviews coming up this spring break (Temple, North Chicago, Ohio, and Iawa) for podiatry school. So any advice from any more experience person would help for my interview and in terms of getting into a residency of my choice.. How can I improve my application once i'm in podiatry school? what can i do to make myself stand out more?
Man we have a lot in common, not only viet but VCU/MCV grads! I did undergrad at William and Mary and met my wife who went to ODU. I do miss virginia (in PA now). PLEEZ don't take this the wrong way but I think you should relax, you should be able to get into a pod school ok. You could have a nice little niche-I no of NO viet pods.

FamilyMD said:
Man we have a lot in common, not only viet but VCU/MCV grads! I did undergrad at William and Mary and met my wife who went to ODU. I do miss virginia (in PA now). PLEEZ don't take this the wrong way but I think you should relax, you should be able to get into a pod school ok. You could have a nice little niche-I no of NO viet pods.

heheh thanks, I've been thinking about PA for temple podiatric medical school but i dont know how ghetto the area is and how the crime rate is. I know it's a great school but located in a bad area. What is your thought on it? Yeah, utimately i want to do missionary work and go back to vietnam and third world countries to do podiatry work. That's why i really hope that later on if i work hard i can get into a 3-year surgical residency program for podiatry so that i can do reconstructive surgery on ankle and foot. I want to fix deformaties problems in third world country.

V4viet said:
Yeah, utimately i want to do missionary work and go back to vietnam and third world countries to do podiatry work. That's why i really hope that later on if i work hard i can get into a 3-year surgical residency program for podiatry so that i can do reconstructive surgery on ankle and foot. I want to fix deformaties problems in third world country.
Practicing for that interview already heh? :laugh:
When I first finished residency I planned to open a clinic in Philly and even put down a down payment on a phat house in south jersey (which I lost) because the more I looked around in Philly for a place to set up shop, the more my wife REFUSED to be anywhere near Philly. Now if youre single, you'll do fine, but for me "happy wife, happy life" so I had to let go of my plan of practicing in Philly.
My biggest advice for you is to go to school where you think you would want to practice: 1)make a rep for your self (hopefully good) and get to networking with referring docs 2)you can scout out who you'd want to work with and get to snatch up good job offers before out of towners catch wind.

FamilyMD said:
Practicing for that interview already heh? :laugh:
When I first finished residency I planned to open a clinic in Philly and even put down a down payment on a phat house in south jersey (which I lost) because the more I looked around in Philly for a place to set up shop, the more my wife REFUSED to be anywhere near Philly. Now if youre single, you'll do fine, but for me "happy wife, happy life" so I had to let go of my plan of practicing in Philly.
My biggest advice for you is to go to school where you think you would want to practice: 1)make a rep for your self (hopefully good) and get to networking with referring docs 2)you can scout out who you'd want to work with and get to snatch up good job offers before out of towners catch wind.

Thank you so much for your advice. I'll make sure to remember them. Thanks again

I'll be honest about this one too.

Podiatry has the stigma for reasons that i have somewhat discussed. It's unfortunate, in my opinion, that the profession isn't more proactive on many matters involving the educational process.

Despite my feelings, or the feelings of your family it's your life and really anyone who is a discouragement to you is just that, a discouragement.

One of the most important things I've learned in my life is to ignore destructive people. ie limit my contact with them until they can play nice.

You are not a piece of property or under an obligation to do anything.

People who act like your family are quite frankly, rude.

Respect yourself and your decisions and put them on notice that you don't appreciate being disrespected just as they wouldn't like to be disrespected.

The funny thing is that the medical field is not the most difficult academic field. And in many countries it is viewed as a poor career choice.

My advice, surround yourself with people who like you for who you are and what you want to do with your life.

In my opinion this has very little to do with podiatry and more on how your family treats you.

be true to yourself my friend.

V4viet said:
heheh thanks, I've been thinking about PA for temple podiatric medical school but i dont know how ghetto the area is and how the crime rate is. I know it's a great school but located in a bad area. What is your thought on it? Yeah, utimately i want to do missionary work and go back to vietnam and third world countries to do podiatry work. That's why i really hope that later on if i work hard i can get into a 3-year surgical residency program for podiatry so that i can do reconstructive surgery on ankle and foot. I want to fix deformaties problems in third world country.

Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine is NOT located in the ghetto area. TUSPM is located in center city (downtown area of Philadelphia). If you want the exact neighborhood, it is located in Chinatown section of Center City. When you are talking about the ghetto area of Philadelphia, you are referring to the Temple University Main Campus and the Temple University Health Science Campus (where the Temple University Hospital and Medical School is located). If you have any specific questions about TUSPM, feel free to ask away. I am an alumni of TUSPM.

Members don't see this ad :)
FamilyMD said:

I know of a few Vietnamese Podiatrists. In my TUSPM class, there were two Vietnamese students. In the year below me, there were 5 Vietnamese students. In fact, one of the student externs at my residency program was a Vietnamese student.

dpmgrad said:
Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine is NOT located in the ghetto area. TUSPM is located in center city (downtown area of Philadelphia). If you want the exact neighborhood, it is located in Chinatown section of Center City. When you are talking about the ghetto area of Philadelphia, you are referring to the Temple University Main Campus and the Temple University Health Science Campus (where the Temple University Hospital and Medical School is located). If you have any specific questions about TUSPM, feel free to ask away. I am an alumni of TUSPM.

Oh that's awesome, thank you so much for your reply and infact i do have a few questions. First of all, will I be able to get some sort of scholarships based on my gpa and mcat? I have a 3.36 and 17M, secondly, how is the interview and how should i prepare for it? Can i get match w/ the residency of my choice, I want to do PM&S 36 also is all this stuff about podiatry true? not making enough money and not being able to work in the hospital etc...oh yeah how is the apartments around there? thank you for yout input

V4viet said:
Oh that's awesome, thank you so much for your reply and infact i do have a few questions. First of all, will I be able to get some sort of scholarships based on my gpa and mcat? I have a 3.36 and 17M, secondly, how is the interview and how should i prepare for it? Can i get match w/ the residency of my choice, I want to do PM&S 36 also is all this stuff about podiatry true? not making enough money and not being able to work in the hospital etc...oh yeah how is the apartments around there? thank you for yout input

As for your stats and ability to get scholarship, you need to either contact one of the current students or current applicants for more information since the stats that are required for scholarship are different when I was applying to podiatry school. As for the interview, perhaps the current applicants can further elucidate on it. When I was a student, applicants had two interviews, one with a basic science faculty or a dean and another one with a clnician. Again, this may have changed over time. My advice for interviews is to be yourself.

As for getting into the residency of your choice and how much money you will be making, I will not be able to answer that. It will depend on you. If you work hard at school and do well and learn as much as you can, you should be able to get into the residency program of your choice. TUSPM students have done well in getting into many of the top Podiatry residency programs (Northlake / Tucker, INOVA, Seattle, etc...) over the past 5 years. As for how much money you will make, it will depend what kind of practice setting you get into and where you practice.

As for housing options for TUSPM students, TUSPM actually has a dorm right next to the Podiatry school in center city. The school dorm consists of studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedrooms, 3 bedrooms apartments. I lived in the school dorms the first year and then moved to the row of apartments across from the Podiatry school. The apartments off campus were cheaper than the dorms. If you don't like living in Chinatown, you can live in Olde City and other parts of Center City. Since downtown Philly is walk friendly, most of the stuff are within walking distance. If you prefer to live in the suburbs or in South Jersey, the train stations are only a couple of blocks from the Podiatry school. There is also a Temple shuttle bus that transports students between Temple University Podiatry School campus, Temple University Center City campus, Temple University Main Campus, and Temple University Health Science Campus. The main Podiatry clinic is located on the ground floor of the school building. It is a pretty big clinic which is divided into different modules. The TUSPM clinic also has an extremity MRI machine on site, Surgery Center, Wound Care center, On Site Pedorthist, Physical Therapy center (though I was told that they are now doing less PT in the clinic), Laser clinic, and ESWT clinic.

V4viet said:
Can i get match w/ the residency of my choice, I want to do PM&S 36 also is all this stuff about podiatry true? not making enough money and not being able to work in the hospital etc

Viet, you need to stop putting the cart in front of the horse. Your only concern should be getting into a school and choosing the right school for you. Then after your second year, you can start worrying about residencies. If you continue to worry about money and programs, you won't get past Biochem. If you take care of the little things, the big things will take care of yourself.

V4viet said:

Just a few thoughts about the criticism that you have experienced from family members about starting pod school. You will most likely see this your whole career, in some form or other. Best thing to do is to educate those who are misinformed rather than getting upset. Remember, this isnt a "podiatry" thing, its a non-MD thing. DOs, DDS, ODs, etc get the same raised eyebrow from those who are not familiar with that respective field. Dont worry so much about it. I will only caution you this, make sure that its podiatry that you want to do the rest of your life. Its a sub-specialty already so if you change your mind in the future, you will have to start over. Other than that, just worry about getting into school. As far as scholarships, I dont think you would get offered any with your MCAT, at least not from DMU. But dont let that stop you. Good luck.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Viet, you need to stop putting the cart in front of the horse. Your only concern should be getting into a school and choosing the right school for you. Then after your second year, you can start worrying about residencies. If you continue to worry about money and programs, you won't get past Biochem. If you take care of the little things, the big things will take care of yourself.

I have to disagree just a little with this because you need to have long-term goals as well as short term goals. It's better, in my opinion, to think about what might be happening ten years down the road before you decide to spend $150,000.00 on an education. When you're in year two of podiatry school and already owe $75,000.00, it's a little late to start thinking about residency. A little homework now could save a lot of heartache in the future.

We're not talking about a "job" here; we're talking about a "career" that requires many years of training and lot of money just for schooling. Viet has legitimate concerns about being able to get a PM&S 36 residency. If his/her chances were slim, then why would s/he want to spend all the time, effort and money on it.

Sure, just getting into the school (and choosing the right one) is a big concern, but only after you have really decided that this is the career for you.

How much will he make? Is he going to get a PM&S-36?

I'm all for long and short term goals. But when you have not even been accepted into a school, you should probably worry about that first. I'm all for asking questions about a career move before making it. But did anyone else ask for someone if they are going to get into Swedish after they applied for school?

One of our clinicians always talks about a guy who came to CPMS talking about residencies. He was always in his office wanting more info on this residency and that residency. To make a long story short, he never made it to his 2nd year. I'm sure you'd agree scpod, there are enough things to worry about in your 1st year besides residencies.

Viet, I'm not saying not to set your long-term goals (definitely aim high), but maybe concentrate on getting in and then choosing the right school.

Dr_Feelgood said:
How much will he make? Is he going to get a PM&S-36?

I'm all for long and short term goals. But when you have not even been accepted into a school, you should probably worry about that first. I'm all for asking questions about a career move before making it. But did anyone else ask for someone if they are going to get into Swedish after they applied for school?

One of our clinicians always talks about a guy who came to CPMS talking about residencies. He was always in his office wanting more info on this residency and that residency. To make a long story short, he never made it to his 2nd year. I'm sure you'd agree scpod, there are enough things to worry about in your 1st year besides residencies.

Viet, I'm not saying not to set your long-term goals (definitely aim high), but maybe concentrate on getting in and then choosing the right school.

Thanks for your concerns and reply, however, I have 4 interviews coming up and I know that i'll get in one place or another. These questions are basically for security purposes and knowning more about what I'm getting myself into. As for making it past the first year, all it takes is studying and I'm sure my success and making it through the first year and "BIOCHEM" has nothing to do with my concerns about what residencies i want and etc. It's all about how hard one is willing to work and etc. For example, if you were going to get into the pizza business and know that you will because you want to but you just have to ask all of the right questions and where the business will lead to so that you'll know what direction to take. THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOUR PIZZA IS BAD.

IlizaRob said:
Just a few thoughts about the criticism that you have experienced from family members about starting pod school. You will most likely see this your whole career, in some form or other. Best thing to do is to educate those who are misinformed rather than getting upset. Remember, this isnt a "podiatry" thing, its a non-MD thing. DOs, DDS, ODs, etc get the same raised eyebrow from those who are not familiar with that respective field. Dont worry so much about it. I will only caution you this, make sure that its podiatry that you want to do the rest of your life. Its a sub-specialty already so if you change your mind in the future, you will have to start over. Other than that, just worry about getting into school. As far as scholarships, I dont think you would get offered any with your MCAT, at least not from DMU. But dont let that stop you. Good luck.
Solid post!
Being a DO and having gone to the other medical school is something that I now cherish (taking the road less traveled). My advise to the original poster is to make an informed decision about your future career. When you change your mind in the middle of school it is a costly mistake. I know because prior to DO school I was in a DC school. Then focus on getting in, once your in study your ass off! Get the best grades/board scores/rotation evaluations/LOR you can achieve. Overall you should strive to be the best doctor you can be you owe it to your future patients (corny as hell but true). Keep us posted on your progress.

V4viet said:
As for making it past the first year, all it takes is studying and I'm sure my success and making it through the first year and "BIOCHEM" has nothing to do with my concerns about what residencies i want and etc. It's all about how hard one is willing to work and etc.

If I was you I'd worry about Biochem, with a 3 on the PS part of the MCATs, you'd better worry a lot. Anyone can say that they can handle the pressure, but until you are in it you don't know. You have a limit about of time in the day to study for Biochem plus whatever our classes you have like Anatomy. You just don’t have unlimited time to study and there are a lot of great students who are unsuccessful.

If I said that I wanted to be in the NFL, just b/c I'm willing to work hard and practice everyday, doesn't mean I'll make it. There is more than just drive.

V4viet said:
For example, if you were going to get into the pizza business and know that you will because you want to but you just have to ask all of the right questions and where the business will lead to so that you'll know what direction to take. THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOUR PIZZA IS BAD.

If you are going to open a pizza joint, you had better make a great pizza b/c no amount of questions will make business successful if you don't have the skills!

Dr_Feelgood said:
If I was you I'd worry about Biochem, with a 3 on the PS part of the MCATs, you'd better worry a lot. Anyone can say that they can handle the pressure, but until you are in it you don't know. You have a limit about of time in the day to study for Biochem plus whatever our classes you have like Anatomy. You just don’t have unlimited time to study and there are a lot of great students who are unsuccessful.

If I said that I wanted to be in the NFL, just b/c I'm willing to work hard and practice everyday, doesn't mean I'll make it. There is more than just drive.

If you are going to open a pizza joint, you had better make a great pizza b/c no amount of questions will make business successful if you don't have the skills!

You know, I really thought that people are mature enough and don't have to talk down on each other in this forum but i guess i was wrong about Dr_Feelgood. Yeah i might get a 3 on the PS but there are other factors involved in it so before you make any assumptions about who i am and what i'm capable of i suggest you just shut the hell up. As for me posting different scopes about podiatry, it's not that i want to practice anything else it's that i want to share with future podiatrist in this forum and keep any updates that i run across so if you dont appreciate it dont read it. It doesn't hurt to know extra informations on what's going on in the field does it? If you have nothing positive to say then dont say it. Coming from a guy who told whiskers that he should be honest w/ everyone etc.. and i was honest w/ you about my grades and score and what did you do, you use it agains me, that shows a lot of maturity level. If you're going to criticize someone about what he or she did wrong, do it in a constructive way. By the way i got that 3 on the ps b/c my roomate died 1 month b4 i took the test and we've been roomate for 3 years. So if you didn't know what the **** I'VE BEEN THROUGH SHUT THE **** UP..

V4viet....even if you don't like Dr. Feelgood's comments, he makes solid points. Drive means alot and can make up/cover for some other weaker areas but never being in a situation, makes it hard to say whether you can handle it or not. Some people think they could handle being in war but when they get there its a completely different story...you just dont know. He never used your poor score of a 3 against you...he merely pointed out that you have weakness as we all do. I have not been accepted to pod school yet and yes i ask alot of questions bc i want make sure i am making the right investment for my education and that i will be truly happy and there is nothing wrong with that. But maybe you should focus on getting accepted, doing well on boards...which if you do well in your classes and on boards you will have no trouble with finding a good residency...alot of things and your feelings and desires can change in the next 4 years....patience is a virtue

V4viet said:
You know, I really thought that people are mature enough and don't have to talk down on each other in this forum but i guess i was wrong about Dr_Feelgood. Yeah i might get a 3 on the PS but there are other factors involved in it so before you make any assumptions about who i am and what i'm capable of i suggest you just shut the hell up. As for me posting different scopes about podiatry, it's not that i want to practice anything else it's that i want to share with future podiatrist in this forum and keep any updates that i run across so if you dont appreciate it dont read it. It doesn't hurt to know extra informations on what's going on in the field does it? If you have nothing positive to say then dont say it. Coming from a guy who told whiskers that he should be honest w/ everyone etc.. and i was honest w/ you about my grades and score and what did you do, you use it agains me, that shows a lot of maturity level. If you're going to criticize someone about what he or she did wrong, do it in a constructive way. By the way i got that 3 on the ps b/c my roomate died 1 month b4 i took the test and we've been roomate for 3 years. So if you didn't know what the **** I'VE BEEN THROUGH SHUT THE **** UP..

Am I the kettle or pot, I forgot? If you think that anything that I posted is a lie, think again. My posts have been to make you realize that you need to concentrate on the short term not the long term. I don't care why you got a 3 on your PS, you did. Do you think that this is not going to come up in your interview? Are you going to tell them,

"So if you didn't know what the **** I'VE BEEN THROUGH SHUT THE **** UP."

I think that you need to grow up. My old man always said, “Want in one and crap in the other, see which fills up faster.” Some people are not made to handle the stress of medical school. I’m not picking on you; I’m just not candy coating it like everyone else.

If you can't take someone criticizing you when you post stupid questions like, "How do you deal w/ the smell," how are you going to handle an attending pimping you on various things? You see GPA is great but things like MCATs equal us all, and you need to come up w/ a better response before you get into your first interview.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Am I the kettle or pot, I forgot? If you think that anything that I posted is a lie, think again. My posts have been to make you realize that you need to concentrate on the short term not the long term. I don't care why you got a 3 on your PS, you did. Do you think that this is not going to come up in your interview? Are you going to tell them,

"So if you didn't know what the **** I'VE BEEN THROUGH SHUT THE **** UP."

I think that you need to grow up. My old man always said, “Want in one and crap in the other, see which fills up faster.” Some people are not made to handle the stress of medical school. I’m not picking on you; I’m just not candy coating it like everyone else.

If you can't take someone criticizing you when you post stupid questions like, "How do you deal w/ the smell," how are you going to handle an attending pimping you on various things? You see GPA is great but things like MCATs equal us all, and you need to come up w/ a better response before you get into your first interview.

You know what, I understand everything you've been telling me is not sugar coating, which is great and thank you, but i've heard a lot of that from the podiatrists that i shadowed. However, when i post questions like that it's to ask my peers and see exactly what it's like to be in podiatry schoo right now etccc.. b/c your peers can relate to you better "correct?" As for the interviews and answers to those questions, i've been thinking about it already but thanks for the remind. You know what, lets just forget about this whole stupid thing.. and talk about something else b/c anything negatives is not worth debating over. Sorry for cussing.. as a matter of fact a lot of your posting helped me in the past..

Dr. Feelgood knows what he is talking about and is a top student in the top pod school, DMU. He is a great point of reference. I would take his advice seriously because it is serious.

Thank you for you post. I hope you understand that everyone can tell you that your MCATs are good enough but you need answers to questions. Trust me that you'll also get questions on why podiatry and don't bring up your thoughts on being an MD/DO. That supports the thought that you are only doing this b/c you could get into one of those schools. If you want to be a pod great, I expect the best from you. And when you get into school, think about me pissing you off, hopefully it motivates to you keep on going. The first year sucks and saying that you'll study hard is the easy part. I'm sure everyone here will agree that you have never and will never go through anything like it again. A lot of people would try to find another profession if they had to go through it again.

To make a long story short, you'll be asked to answer a lot of questions that piss you off before your education is done. Keep you head and keep your focus; keep your long term goals, but take care of the short term. Good luck.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Thank you for you post. I hope you understand that everyone can tell you that your MCATs are good enough but you need answers to questions. Trust me that you'll also get questions on why podiatry and don't bring up your thoughts on being an MD/DO. That supports the thought that you are only doing this b/c you could get into one of those schools. If you want to be a pod great, I expect the best from you. And when you get into school, think about me pissing you off, hopefully it motivates to you keep on going. The first year sucks and saying that you'll study hard is the easy part. I'm sure everyone here will agree that you have never and will never go through anything like it again. A lot of people would try to find another profession if they had to go through it again.

To make a long story short, you'll be asked to answer a lot of questions that piss you off before your education is done. Keep you head and keep your focus; keep your long term goals, but take care of the short term. Good luck.

Hey thanks a lot man, I'm glad that we got this behind us and if i get into DMU i'll definately look you up and maybe we can talk. You seem so motivated about this profession and I'm actually excited to get to know more about it too so maybe we can chat more on different apsects of it.

The key to a sound career choice is to be happy with yourself, your chosen profession, and do the best job you can. I don't mean any disrespect, and since I'm a whiteboy with none of the Asian family loyalty thing going on, I'll say this and be done with it: screw what your family thinks. Unless your family wants to pay for your house, car, and various luxury items, tell them thanks, but to mind their own damned business.

Yeah, yeah, I know...it's not done in Asian families. Sorry to say this, but you're in the US and you have to be an individual. If you want to be a pod, then damn it, be one and be proud of your decision. Don't let anyone make you feel inferior because you're not an MD. My father is a physician, a surgeon, and is very arrogant. When I told him I was matched for an IM/psychiatry residency, he shook his head and said, "I thought you wanted to be a DOCTOR, not some head-shrinking pill pusher!"

You live your life for YOU, not your family and friends. Be happy and proud of what you do and you'll be happier in general.