What the heck happens now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalscribe812

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, long time lurker, new time poster. So I have a question. I was just recently verified for my primary application. Good ECs, good LORs, and medical scribe. My calculated stats were

cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.1, MCAT 29.

However, when I got my verification, my calculated stats were

cGPA 3.6, sGPA 2.9, MCAT 29.

How screwed am I? I'm in the process of contacting them right now. Any reason there might be such a discrepancy on my part? If it go along as is, what are my chances then versus now? If I take some science classes to raise it back up, will I be able to get secondaries I was originally screened out of? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I would register to retake at least two of your lowest science grades ASAP along with figuring out where the discrepancy is. Are you still in school working towards your degree or are you taking a gap year? Honestly, either way I would get that sGPA up before Christmas.

I graduated already and I'm taking a gap year. Thing is I already applied to my top choices of DO schools. If I get screened out initially, am I screwed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, if you are initially screened out there is no redo. You have a solid cGPA and MCAT so you may get some leniency from some schools and receive a secondary. If you get that science up you are a very good applicant so work on that at a CC or local college immediately because you will have a great chance at interviews late into the cycle. Figure out what the problem is but be proactive in fixing your current situation, you do have time.

I know its nerve-racking but do what you have to do now to put yourself in good shape 4 months from now.

What was your school list?

Also, should I wait to take those science classes before submitting some of the secondaries I got?

Averages are 3.5-3.7. You are far off. Do a masters program or something.

Averages are 3.5-3.7. You are far off. Do a masters program or something.

The OP's MCAT is above average for most schools so they should be fine. sGPA is a little low but not low enough that they shouldn't try to apply. Averages are just that AVERAGES. Meaning there is probably a significant percentage above and below the reported average values.

Did you include your math grades in science GPA? AACOMAS considers math non-science. Could be why cGPA went up and sGPA went down. :(

You still have a chance since your MCAT is relatively high. Hard to give you advice because of the timing of things. If it was me I would drop everything and retake as many classes as I could this sem at a CC to get a science grade increase. I would also call each school and see how they respond to your situation in order to figure out which schools you should send the secondaries to now. Any schools that will autoscreen you even after telling them about your situation I would wait to submit secondaries after grades come in.

I would also consider adding a few more safety schools to increase your chances.

How do you find AACOMASs calculated GPAs?

Please tell me. I entered all my courses and grades but don't see it anywhere...

Members don't see this ad :)
Please tell me. I entered all my courses and grades but don't see it anywhere...

Ummmm...go to "manage my programs" or something similar to that. There is a button on the right side of the schools that you applied to that will download a pdf of your application and you will be able to see your grades.

Where is the GPA in the PDF? I couldn't find it anywhere...

Are you verified yet? If not, it won't show up

I don't think so. How do I get verified?

You are toast with a 2.9, unfortunately. I'm not doubting that you are a competent person. A 29 MCAT and a 3.6 overall GPA (basically an A- average) speak for themselves, but a 3.0 is a right of passage that all applicants must overcome these days (ask anyone who didn't get in this cycle or the last). I don't care if a school claims to a have a 2.6 minimum; if you're hanging around a 3.0 (not even a 2.9, but a 3.0) your chances go down dramatically. You need to recalculate your GPA's by hand and FAST; grade by grade, unit by unit to see if there are any discrepancies because this will literally determine whether or not you get a fair shake this cycle, no joke.

Reactions: 1 user
You are toast with a 2.9, unfortunately. I'm not doubting that you are a competent person. A 29 MCAT and a 3.6 overall GPA (basically an A- average) speak for themselves, but a 3.0 is a right of passage that all applicants must overcome these days (ask anyone who didn't get in this cycle or the last). I don't care if a school claims to a have a 2.6 minimum; if you're hanging around a 3.0 (not even a 2.9, but a 3.0) your chances go down dramatically. You need to recalculate your GPA's by hand and FAST; grade by grade, unit by unit to see if there are any discrepancies because this will literally determine whether or not you get a fair shake this cycle, no joke.

Hey @swollcat look up @joy76.

Joy76 has similar numbers (sGPA 2.9, cGPA 3.7, and MCAT of 29) and got into TouroCOM in NY.

Chances are slim, but there is a breaking chance.

Hey @swollcat look up @joy76.

Joy76 has similar numbers (sGPA 2.9, cGPA 3.7, and MCAT of 29) and got into TouroCOM in NY.

Chances are slim, but there is a breaking chance.

Thanks for the reference, but is joy76 URM? Either way, I don't take back what I said because this is overwhelming the exception to the rule. OP can look it up themselves on this forum, but I know a ton of people who were auto-screened with under a 3.0 and even the one's who made it past interviews were told that they didn't get in because their GPA was just too low to warrant an admission. For the record, science GPA is weighed heavier than cumulative. A 2.9 means that one averaged a B- in ALL their science classes. This is an indicator for disaster in medical school for all intents and purposes.

Last edited:
Thanks for reference, but is joy76 URM? Either way, I don't take back what I said because this is overwhelming the exception to the rule. OP can look it up themselves on this forum, but I know a ton of people who were auto-screened with under a 3.0 and even the one's who made it past interviews were told that they didn't get in because their GPA was just too low to warrant an admission. For the record, science GPA is weighed heavier than cumulative. A 2.9 means that one averaged a B- in ALL their science classes. This is an indicator for disaster in medical school for all intents and purposes.

+1

I didnt see that Joy was a URM. Ooops. But I agree with you on the strict auto-screen cut off. I know most schools requires a sGPA of +3.2. I was told by my pre-med adviser that your sGPA can be overlooked if your score high on the bio section of the MCAT. Not sure if this is true, but I followed it like a good student. ARGH!

Not true at my school nor any school that I know of. Most advisors seem to have excrement for brains, anyway.

OPs sGPA would lead to autoreject at my school.

. I was told by my pre-med adviser that your sGPA can be overlooked if your score high on the bio section of the MCAT. Not sure if this is true, but I followed it like a good student. ARGH!

@Goro speaking of excrement, when are you going to change your avatar to this picture?

cat_avatar.jpg

Not true at my school nor any school that I know of. Most advisors seem to have excrement for brains, anyway

ARGHHHHHH! Ironically, my pre-med adviser used to be on the committee board of a D.O school. Did he just screw me over?! He also told me I shouldnt retake anymore classes......... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If you have a 3.2+ GPA, you're fine.

There ARE DO schools that will prefer a high total MCAT and cut some slack for a lower cGPA.

ARGHHHHHH! Ironically, my pre-med adviser used to be on the committee board of a D.O school. Did he just screw me over?! He also told me I shouldnt retake anymore classes......... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If you have a 3.2+ GPA, you're fine. There ARE DO schools that will prefer a high total MCAT and cut some slack for a lower cGPA.

Thanks for the reassurance. You're my fav SDN!

Finally, you changed your pic haha.

So I looked again after work and did some math, they made a mistake and did not mark any of my repeats in properly. The most severe being when I gotten an F at a community college class I thought I was auditing, but turns out I wasn't. Dumb mistake I know. I attempted to contact AACOMAs several times today, but with no real solution yet. Will update when they do fix this. But am I already going screwed out of the school I applied to?

Last edited:
Honestly dude I think your only real shot is doing a postbacc. 2.9 is just too low, even for PA, NP, and RN schools!

No offense at all, but you couldn't even get a high school science teacher job with that, let alone medical school!

Your MCAT, though, shows you may have potential. I think you need to prove your potential through some type of a Masters degree or something similar.

I'm going to be honest.

It is risky to apply with a sGPA of a 3.1, and even worse when it is lower (unless you are URM.) I think sGPA should be at least 3.2-3.3 to be competitive at DO schools. Anything lower significantly lowers your chances. You may have to do a lot of EC's or something to look like a good candidate. Many of the schools average 3.4 for sGPA.

There's something called grade replacement. Use it. Even with my sGPA and cGPA, I wish I could've used grade replacement for some of my classes. I just don't want to spend extra money if I don't have to. If I had a sGPA below 3.3, I would've strongly considered retaking some courses to bring that up. Replacing one C with an A in a 3 credit course would've boosted my sGPA by 0.08.

Since you're in the cycle already, just quickly take what's needed to hit the 3.0 mark. Interview at the more recently established schools is possible. so sorry this happening to you. I hope it gets resolved in a timely manner

OP you need to get those retakes figured out and additionally, with your school list you need to get that sGPA up anyway. If you aren't committed to anything serious this year I highly recommend retaking some lower science grades or taking, and aceing, some upper level sciences. I know it seems like its do or die right now but come December if you haven't heard from some schools, you can either hit them with some updated A's or sit around and wait for a rejection letter. You have a solid app with the right amount of planning. I was in a similar situation last year as you are right now and I should have taken those classes. Best of luck to you

retake those science courses!!! Some DO schools have mandatory cutoffs (some 3.25) for sGPA; retake C/D/F and you've got it with that MCAT and cGPA