What things do you wish you knew before you applied?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

For those of you who applied to Pod school before, what things did you learn during/after the process that you wish you knew before you applied?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who applied to Pod school before, what things did you learn during/after the process that you wish you knew before you applied?
-Only buy a plane ticket if you're 100% sure you're willing to attend the school that's invited you to interview.
-NYCPM isn't in a scary part of Harlem.
-Students and faculty can tell pretty quickly if you're genuinely curious about something or just sucking up.
-Off of the above bullet point, don't be "that guy/girl."
-If the students you talk to don't seem like they're being honest with you, alarm bells should be going off in your head. Same goes for admin/faculty/docs.
-Pay less attention to the facilities and more attention to what the students have to say.
-If you can, get to whatever city your interview is in a few days beforehand or stay a few days after it's done. I wish I had hung out longer in Philly.
-Prepare, prepare, prepare for your interview. There is absolutely zero excuse for not having at least some semblance of an answer for your particular school's interview questions in the feedback section.

Reactions: 3 users
-Only buy a plane ticket if you're 100% sure you're willing to attend the school that's invited you to interview.
-NYCPM isn't in a scary part of Harlem.
-Students and faculty can tell pretty quickly if you're genuinely curious about something or just sucking up.
-Off of the above bullet point, don't be "that guy/girl."
-If the students you talk to don't seem like they're being honest with you, alarm bells should be going off in your head. Same goes for admin/faculty/docs.
-Pay less attention to the facilities and more attention to what the students have to say.
-If you can, get to whatever city your interview is in a few days beforehand or stay a few days after it's done. I wish I had hung out longer in Philly.
-Prepare, prepare, prepare for your interview. There is absolutely zero excuse for not having at least some semblance of an answer for your particular school's interview questions in the feedback section.

Thanks for the feed back.

"There is absolutely zero excuse for not having at least some semblance of an answer for your particular school's interview questions in the feedback section"

Can you elaborate on this please?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feed back.

"There is absolutely zero excuse for not having at least some semblance of an answer for your particular school's interview questions in the feedback section"

Can you elaborate on this please?
Sure. The interview feedback section on SDN allows you to see the questions that people were asked in previous interviews. Preparing means going through those questions and making sure you have an answer for them. It was dead on accurate for NYCPM and really helpful for DMU when I interviewed so make sure you take advantage of it. (And be sure to do the surveys for the schools you interview at after you're finished!)

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewing is a skill. I thought I was a good interviewer. I had 5 interviews. I didn't practice at all for my first interview and did terrible on it. I practiced for the others and destroyed them all. Don't be like me... practice!

Reactions: 2 users