General Admissions & OTCAS What to ask for in letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cassie.lynn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My professor said she would write me a LOR and said to give her any information I want in it. What kind of things should I give her/what should go in a LOR.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
My professor said she would write me a LOR and said to give her any information I want in it. What kind of things should I give her/what should go in a LOR.

Thanks!

I would tell her why you got into OT in the first place, what you like about it, how you’ve worked to get to apply (what experiences/extracurriculars/volunteer involvement). You want her to be able to vouch for your integrity and what makes you a good applicant! Give her anything you can think of!

I always give my letter writers my resume/CV and my personal statement. If you don't have either of those, you should send her a list of relevant experiences with what you learned from each, as well as a statement about why you want to pursue OT and why you would be a competitive applicant.

Hello,

Thanks!

Hi Cassie! For me, it had been a few years since I graduated or worked with some of my references so I made sure to remind them of a few things listed below. Here is what I sent them:

-Transcript
-Resume
-OT Related Activities - Shadowing, Volunteer work, leadership roles, etc.
-Copies of a Research Paper I completed
-My personal statement
-****Highlights from our relationship (what courses/experience did I take/have with that person, important projects I worked on under their supervision, what critical/skills knowledge did I learn from them that could apply to OT); essentially, this is the part that I think helped them emphasize how I stood out as their employee/student/observer and how that could easily translate to OT school or the OT profession.