What to do about a poor research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benjerm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of completing an application for an MD-PhD program and of course the question about past research experience has come up. Two summers ago I approached a professor from my department as I was interested in carrying out a project under them. They interviewed me and I was told that they would be happy to have me. The project was to design and develop a therapeutic nanoparticle that could show efficacy as a treatment in-vitro. I was told that I would select the formulation and their colleague from the chemistry department would synthesize it so I could then test it. I proceeded to do my homework on the subject and came up with a number of compositions and protocols while remaining in constant communication with them through numerous emails and in person meetings. A number of the formulations I proposed were deemed "too risky", and many were rejected. While I had not yet commenced any wet lab component, the PI explained what kind of dishes I would perform the cell cultures in, and what tools could be used (the tools belonged to another lab interestingly enough) to measure a response. With a month and a half remaining in the summer and having never touched a pipette under their supervision, they informed me that we no longer had enough time to carry out the project. They said I should instead write a review article on nanoparticles (talking about the chemistry which is way outside of my domain being a biomedical science undergrad) and that they now had the impression that I would be carrying out the project in the winter semester. I had spent over 250 hours working on proposals and designing experiments for this PI, and never carried out a single experiment. Another thing I'd like to point out is that while this PI had two graduate students, I had not once seen them use their lab benches as anything besides computer stations. (BTW this was supposed to be a research project for graded credits, so my undergraduate advisor who was astonished when I told her the story had to help me navigate getting out of it which was a huge hassle) Luckily, I am now working under an amazing surgeon-scientist who has been an awesome mentor, but I am wondering what to say about this 4-month block on my application (It was a whole summer).

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like this experience was a stepping stone onto something greater where you are now with the surgeon. That is the way I would frame it. I would certainly mention the experience, mention the highs and lows and the lessons you took from it. It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, and messy experiences happen all the time in undergrad.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I think its an experience to mention and at the end of the day if you published a review article somewhere thats still impressive. If you're really worried you could just not mention it and no one will really care about doing nothing for that one summer tbh.