what to do after dismissal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Comingthrough

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I got dismissed from Ross University. What I tried to do was go back and take some classes in my undergrad to raise up my gpa higher. Has anyone ever been dismissed or know anyone who has been dismissed previously get back into a vet school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes this happened to several of my friends. They spent more time working as vet techs & took some additional classes as well. They ended up both getting accepted the next year! But the best thing to do is set up a meeting with the school to see what you need to work on for your app, so you can target whatever areas they want to see improved. :) Hope this helps!

Yes this happened to several of my friends. They spent more time working as vet techs & took some additional classes as well. They ended up both getting accepted the next year! But the best thing to do is set up a meeting with the school to see what you need to work on for your app, so you can target whatever areas they want to see improved. :) Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply! Ive been trying to get more experience as a tech and retaking classes to raise my gpa as high as possible, hopefully I'm on the right track. Do you by any chance know what schools they applied to? Just lost on where to even start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! Ive been trying to get more experience as a tech and retaking classes to raise my gpa as high as possible, hopefully I'm on the right track. Do you by any chance know what schools they applied to? Just lost on where to even start.

That's great that you're doing that! I would definitely contact the schools and set up a meeting to see what they thought you could improve on your specific app too because this can be the most helpful tool in terms of figuring out where to start. They will specifically tell you whether it was your grades, if you need more experience, or better LORs etc. Also, depending on the state you live in, it is helpful to take into account how many OOS students the schools you are applying to will accept. One of my friends ended up going to Mississippi & the other Florida.

Last year I got dismissed from Ross University. What I tried to do was go back and take some classes in my undergrad to raise up my gpa higher. Has anyone ever been dismissed or know anyone who has been dismissed previously get back into a vet school?

I just wanted to confirm something...Are you saying that you were enrolled as a veterinary student at Ross University and have since been dismissed from the program? Or you applied to Ross and were not admitted? If the former, I think you need to figure out why you were dismissed while already in a DVM program. I think your best bet is to speak with the administrative/admissions at Ross to determine the best course of action. It may be difficult to be re-admitted if you've already failed out or been dismissed for another reason.

Reactions: 3 users
I just wanted to confirm something...Are you saying that you were enrolled as a veterinary student at Ross University and have since been dismissed from the program? Or you applied to Ross and were not admitted? If the former, I think you need to figure out why you were dismissed while already in a DVM program. I think your best bet is to speak with the administrative/admissions at Ross to determine the best course of action. It may be difficult to be re-admitted if you've already failed out or been dismissed for another reason.

Ditto. Dismissed usually means you have been removed from the program.

I was dismissed from Ross in 2012 after three semesters. I worked at a clinic for a year and started reapplying to either newly formed vet schools and international ones.the first year i reapplied i was waitlisted. I also applied and started a biology masters. The second year I applied i got accepted to AVC in Canada. There admissions are a bit different in that you choose 20 classes to create a gpa.so you can pick your 20 highest grades within the last 5 years.
Yes retaking classes can be helpful if you had a mediocre gpa in undergrad. But if you did fine in undergrad. The onl reason to retake is if your grades are going to expire.
Honestly Ross can be a great school for some people. And others need a bit more of an intimate education. Ive found being in a school with a class size of 63 greatly beneficial. Im now in my second year and am on the deans list. So my advice is dont give up. I know aof other dismissed rossies who either went to St.Matthews or St.Georges .for me another carribean school wasnt the answer but it may be for you . it's important to figure out if it was a work ethic issue or a learning style issue.

so you can pick your 20 highest grades within the last 5 years.
So just to clarify, this is NOT how it works for AVC. Yes, they only require 20 courses and for your 10 electives, they will take your higher marks. But they don't really allow retakes, and they take the first eligible course for the prerequisites. This can help some people, but it hurts others, mostly those who may have struggled to adjust to university out of high school. But it's not as simple as "pick your 20 best grades and send them in even if none of them are related to vet med".

Reactions: 1 user
So just to clarify, this is NOT how it works for AVC. Yes, they only require 20 courses and for your 10 electives, they will take your higher marks. But they don't really allow retakes, and they take the first eligible course for the prerequisites. This can help some people, but it hurts others, mostly those who may have struggled to adjust to university out of high school. But it's not as simple as "pick your 20 best grades and send them in even if none of them are related to vet med".

Right, so if you failed Chem I, you must take Chem II to "replace" that grade; a higher level course must always be taken if you don't get a C or better in that pre-req.

Advice please.... I was dismissed for not passing the COMP. I sent in my appeal letter and Im waiting on their decision. Background, I never repeated a semester and never was on academic probation.I scored within the 62-66 range. Im married with kids and part of my difficulty was transitioning back to home. My wife was in a auto collision that disabled her for a few months while I was preparing for 2nd-4th attempts..... She has made a recovery and my study environment is now where it needs to be..

Advice please.... I was dismissed for not passing the COMP. I sent in my appeal letter and Im waiting on their decision. Background, I never repeated a semester and never was on academic probation.I scored within the 62-66 range. Im married with kids and part of my difficulty was transitioning back to home. My wife was in a auto collision that disabled her for a few months while I was preparing for 2nd-4th attempts..... She has made a recovery and my study environment is now where it needs to be..
That sounds rough... and I'm sorry you're going through this. But did you mean to post on the veterinary forum?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Right, so if you failed Chem I, you must take Chem II to "replace" that grade; a higher level course must always be taken if you don't get a C or better in that pre-req.

To clairify I did mean 20 classes in that fulfill the requirement of their science courses. For me I was an animal biology major and all of my classes were sciences that qualified.
Animal Biology 1
Animal Biology 2
Animal Biology 3
Genetics
Mathematics 1
Mathematics 2 (Statistics)
Chemistry 1
Chemistry 2
Chemistry 3 (Organic Chemistry)
English (Composition)
10 Electives

so for example they list two mathematics courses. If you did poorly in calc 1 but great in calc 2 you should put your higher calc class.so retaking classes would only be beneficial if they're expiring. For you, you could take s higher level chemistry course so that you have three higher chemistry grades to put down. Also 10 are electives and can be non science courses,

Animal Biology 1
Animal Biology 2
Animal Biology 3
Genetics
Mathematics 1
Mathematics 2 (Statistics)
Chemistry 1
Chemistry 2
Chemistry 3 (Organic Chemistry)
English (Composition)
10 Electives

The new requirements are much more open about the prereqs compared to American schools that are more specific is what I was trying to get across. And for electives I put languages and women studies when I applied, so it's pretty open