What to do with FAP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This topic has been touched on before, but I dont recall a definitive answer...

My family cannot support me in the application process (every dollar I spend is one I have to pay myself). However, I am looking to apply to 25-30 schools this coming year and need all the assistance I can get. Obviously, FAP would be an enormous help.

The difficulty is that one of my parents makes more than the FAP threshold. Thus, I have been turned down before.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? Or am I destined to pay for all 25 applications out-of-pocket?

Members don't see this ad.

If you were rejected based on your parents collective income last year, and nothing changed this year, you will probably be rejected again this year. It is BS that they request parent information but I understand why they do. There should be an age limit though or if you are filing independent on taxes not require it. I'm 30 with a spouse and kids and I had to ask my mom for her tax info. I MEAN C'MAHNNNNNN!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
This topic has been touched on before, but I dont recall a definitive answer...

My family cannot support me in the application process (every dollar I spend is one I have to pay myself). However, I am looking to apply to 25-30 schools this coming year and need all the assistance I can get. Obviously, FAP would be an enormous help.

The difficulty is that one of my parents makes more than the FAP threshold. Thus, I have been turned down before.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? Or am I destined to pay for all 25 applications out-of-pocket?

There's little you can do. Be somewhat selective in applying (maybe limit it to 15) and take out a loan if you need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately FAP will require using your parents info, even if they don't/can't support you. Open up a new 0% interest for 15 months credit card and use that for expenses. I know someone who had their parents open up a new credit card like this with a 10k limit. That student slowly paid it back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's that way because at this point nearly every applicant is legally independent, even if they are not functionally independent, and has a personal income low enough to qualify. Either they limit who can qualify or the system isn't viable.

Reactions: 1 user