Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

What to do with old notes

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by that redhead, 05.01.12.

1. that redhead

that redhead MMXV

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    What do you do with your notes when the year is finished? Do you keep everything from every class, only from certain classes? I've got mine roughly organized by subject and figure I'll just toss them in the garage until I need them :confused:
  2. dyachei

dyachei vet pirate zombie Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Veterinarian
    Veterinarian SDN 7+ Year Member
    I kept most of my notes if I thought the information was better organized or was more complete than the textbooks for that subject.

For instance, I did not keep my anatomy notes since my texts are adequate for the job I do today. Same with physiology. I did keep my derm notes because I really liked how organized they were.

It all depends on you, but when you eventually move for a job, they are a lot of dead weight to bring with you.
  3. jmo1012

jmo1012 SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    did you find you needed anything for the NAVLE?
  4. No Imagination

No Imagination I

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Keeping everything that is digital... using the rest to start my BBQ.
  5. rustysmom

rustysmom Mich State CVM c/o 2012

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I used my notes if I had any questions about what I was studying in Vet Prep. I also used my notes in clinics as well. I usually knew exactly where in my notes the information I wanted was. I plan on purging some of them once I find out what resources are available to me at work.
  6. rugbychick16

rugbychick16 KSU CVM Class of 2012

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Although I sometimes didn't like using the tablet and onenote to take notes, and I got VERY tired of staring at a computer screen for 16 hours a day, this is where I am extremely happy that all my notes are on my laptop, which I take everyplace and plan to bring to work with me in a couple months. No written notes at all!
  7. elefante7

elefante7 UW Madison SVM c/o 2013!

Veterinarian
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I've used a decent amount of my notes in reviewing topics for other classes. Like right now we have a large animal surgery professor who is baffled why we don't remember the anatomy of a horse's leg perfectly. I'll be spending some quality time with my large animal anatomy notes before that final.
  8. dyachei

Veterinarian
    Not really. I used the vet prep power pages when I had questions. The thing about the the NAVLE is that they typically ask very similar questions from year to year. Our notes are probably too involved for what is on the NAVLE.

I really only used my epidemiology notes. There were way too many epidemlogy questions about sensitivity and specificity. I've gotten rid of those since
  9. skittles12

skittles12 UTCVM class of 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well crap...I'm pretty sure I burned those after that terrible class. :oops:

I still have all of my other notes from last year and this year. So far clin path has been the most useful--I dug those out several times this year for a refresher.
  10. dyachei

Veterinarian
    The vetprep power pages on it will be more than enough. I swear I had 9-10 questions on it though. And determining the incidence.
  11. that redhead

that redhead MMXV

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My notes are mostly stuff printed by the professors, so well organized with my own additions where necessary. I figure keep them for reference for future classes at the very least. I guess I'll decide how long to keep them past that when I get to that point :p
  12. CalliopeDVM

CalliopeDVM

Veterinarian
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I kept my notes for about my first 3 or 4 years after graduation......in retrospect they were a kind of security blanket. I think I might have referred to a handout in them once or twice. After 3 or 4 years, I tossed them in the recycle bin. It was kind of an emotional graduation from my student status :)
  13. StartingoverVet

StartingoverVet Flight Instructor for hire Gold Donor

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Burn burn burn.
  14. secretaryiga14

secretaryiga14 WSU CVM C/O 2014

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The notes I've kept:
    Pharmacology
    Systemic Pathology
    Clinical Pathology (I can see myself referencing these years down the road.)
    Toxicology
    Parasitology

The rest are in the trash or headed there. ;)
  15. Audrey007

Audrey007 VMRCVM C/O 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I see the Vet I work with still refer to her notes (She has been out for 6 years). I still have some of my notes from Undergrad back in 2000 to 2004. Some of those notes I worked really hard on and really enjoyed the classes. :idea: If I were you, I would keep them for a while, you might need them.
  16. theunraveler

theunraveler Member

Veterinarian
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I make a bonfire out of it all the while I am praising the gods of veterinary medicine; Ettinger, Slatter, Miller....

Depending on my grades, I may offer a virgin as well
  17. drchrisdvm2009

drchrisdvm2009

Veterinarian
    I kept all of them, and over time, digitized them with the scanner at work and made PDFs out of all of my notes. This way, they are fully searchable as well. Takes a while, but if your job/university has a high quality scanner/printer/copier, then it shouldn't take TOO long. I mainly did this on overnights during my internship.

Chris
  18. reidjones

reidjones

I just get rid of my notes. Most of the time I keep the book.
  19. drchrisdvm2009

drchrisdvm2009

Veterinarian
    Last edited: 06.09.12

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal