What to do with old notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

that redhead

10+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
What do you do with your notes when the year is finished? Do you keep everything from every class, only from certain classes? I've got mine roughly organized by subject and figure I'll just toss them in the garage until I need them :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

What do you do with your notes when the year is finished? Do you keep everything from every class, only from certain classes? I've got mine roughly organized by subject and figure I'll just toss them in the garage until I need them :confused:

I kept most of my notes if I thought the information was better organized or was more complete than the textbooks for that subject.

For instance, I did not keep my anatomy notes since my texts are adequate for the job I do today. Same with physiology. I did keep my derm notes because I really liked how organized they were.

It all depends on you, but when you eventually move for a job, they are a lot of dead weight to bring with you.

I kept most of my notes if I thought the information was better organized or was more complete than the textbooks for that subject.

For instance, I did not keep my anatomy notes since my texts are adequate for the job I do today. Same with physiology. I did keep my derm notes because I really liked how organized they were.

It all depends on you, but when you eventually move for a job, they are a lot of dead weight to bring with you.

did you find you needed anything for the NAVLE?

Members don't see this ad :)
Keeping everything that is digital... using the rest to start my BBQ.

I used my notes if I had any questions about what I was studying in Vet Prep. I also used my notes in clinics as well. I usually knew exactly where in my notes the information I wanted was. I plan on purging some of them once I find out what resources are available to me at work.

Although I sometimes didn't like using the tablet and onenote to take notes, and I got VERY tired of staring at a computer screen for 16 hours a day, this is where I am extremely happy that all my notes are on my laptop, which I take everyplace and plan to bring to work with me in a couple months. No written notes at all!

I've used a decent amount of my notes in reviewing topics for other classes. Like right now we have a large animal surgery professor who is baffled why we don't remember the anatomy of a horse's leg perfectly. I'll be spending some quality time with my large animal anatomy notes before that final.

Not really. I used the vet prep power pages when I had questions. The thing about the the NAVLE is that they typically ask very similar questions from year to year. Our notes are probably too involved for what is on the NAVLE.

I really only used my epidemiology notes. There were way too many epidemlogy questions about sensitivity and specificity. I've gotten rid of those since

I really only used my epidemiology notes. There were way too many epidemlogy questions about sensitivity and specificity. I've gotten rid of those since

Well crap...I'm pretty sure I burned those after that terrible class. :oops:

I still have all of my other notes from last year and this year. So far clin path has been the most useful--I dug those out several times this year for a refresher.

Well crap...I'm pretty sure I burned those after that terrible class. :oops:

I still have all of my other notes from last year and this year. So far clin path has been the most useful--I dug those out several times this year for a refresher.

The vetprep power pages on it will be more than enough. I swear I had 9-10 questions on it though. And determining the incidence.

My notes are mostly stuff printed by the professors, so well organized with my own additions where necessary. I figure keep them for reference for future classes at the very least. I guess I'll decide how long to keep them past that when I get to that point :p

I kept my notes for about my first 3 or 4 years after graduation......in retrospect they were a kind of security blanket. I think I might have referred to a handout in them once or twice. After 3 or 4 years, I tossed them in the recycle bin. It was kind of an emotional graduation from my student status :)

The notes I've kept:
Pharmacology
Systemic Pathology
Clinical Pathology (I can see myself referencing these years down the road.)
Toxicology
Parasitology

The rest are in the trash or headed there. ;)

I see the Vet I work with still refer to her notes (She has been out for 6 years). I still have some of my notes from Undergrad back in 2000 to 2004. Some of those notes I worked really hard on and really enjoyed the classes. :idea: If I were you, I would keep them for a while, you might need them.

I make a bonfire out of it all the while I am praising the gods of veterinary medicine; Ettinger, Slatter, Miller....

Depending on my grades, I may offer a virgin as well

I kept all of them, and over time, digitized them with the scanner at work and made PDFs out of all of my notes. This way, they are fully searchable as well. Takes a while, but if your job/university has a high quality scanner/printer/copier, then it shouldn't take TOO long. I mainly did this on overnights during my internship.

Chris

I just get rid of my notes. Most of the time I keep the book.