What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousDrifter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My College journey has ..less then stellar....---so I know if I were to apply now I would either flat out be rejected or barely accepted into an extremely sub par program....I keep hearing how insanely competitive these graduate schools are so I feel like I have a long uphill battle to even shot at a decent program. Just to note I will be applying broadly to P.A. school, D.O schools and 3 MD schools (Howard, VCU and USUHS).

Brief break down...

Currently I have a B.Sc in Psychology (3.4GPA) and a minor in Sociology (via a mesh of community college courses/distant learning program-from a brick and mortar University). I haven't calculated my SciGPA but I'm sure it's about ~3.2-3.0. I have a 3 Ds....smattering of Cs on my transcript and 1 W.

-Active in volunteering during high school and a year or so post high school (hospital volunteer, tutor, campaign office helper, etc). Had a major lull in the volunteering department until recently...with the exception of a short stint volunteering at a horse rescue facility about 1.5 years ago.
-I have a CNA certificate
-Working as a tech at a medical clinic (Post/Pre-OP, Teching, Accreditation, Front desk, etc) for a little more than 2 years.
-Currently pursuing an EMT-B course.
-I have taken most of my pre-reqs along with other courses like Cell/Micro-biology, etc.

I wanted to do a few things to improve my chances--will it be enough?

From Sept-Dec of this year
-Finish my EMT-Basic program/Start doing ride alongs at my local station.
-Continue working at my clinic-getting more into the area of accreditation and possibly writing a QI study.
-Volunteer for an abused women crisis hotline
-Will find another volunteer opportunity (any ideas?)
-Lots of pre-studying for the classes I will (ideally) take in January

I want to take VCU's heath science certificate program in January (For 3 semesters). <--PostBach
-It will allow me to tailor my schedule to the courses I need, and to take a nice mix of undergrad/grad courses to strengthen my GPA and show that I can excel in more rigorous subject matters.
-It will give me the opportunity to shadow and volunteer at their medical center (They require volunteer hours)
-I'll have a chance to pursue more research opportunities.
-Will take my GRE/MCAT within that time..most likely in April or May.

During that year I will also
-Join a local rescue squad
-(Hopefully) find part-time medical work
-Join a relevant club or two.

I'm 26 years old...

1) Is there anything else I can do to increase my chances?
2) Should I dual major (In biology or neuroscience) or just do a post-bach?

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to say without a calculated AMCAS or AACOMAS gpa or MCAT...
Are you a member of the group that is Howard's mission?
VA resident?
Committed to a life of military service?

Thank you for your response,

I am a VA resident

I was an Army brat and lived on military bases almost half my life; was probably one of the better times in my life. I love the idea of being in the military and I've wanted to join for a very long time now. I've been to the USUHS open house and got a glimpse of what it would be like...it definitely added to my determination to pursue medicine further.
As far as I know, I know that Howard University is directed to individuals that want to work in underserved areas....I also have a great interest in doing this as well and will be applying for the NHSC scholarship.

I guess I want to ask....what more could/should I do to strengthen my ECs.
And whether or not it is worth it to go back and do a second degree...my GPA is not absolutely abysmal but it certainty no where near competitive.....

Thank you for your response,

I am a VA resident

I was an Army brat and lived on military bases almost half my life; was probably one of the better times in my life. I love the idea of being in the military and I've wanted to join for a very long time now. I've been to the USUHS open house and got a glimpse of what it would be like...it definitely added to my determination to pursue medicine further.
As far as I know, I know that Howard University is directed to individuals that want to work in underserved areas....I also have a great interest in doing this as well and will be applying for the NHSC scholarship.

I guess I want to ask....what more could/should I do to strengthen my ECs.
And whether or not it is worth it to go back and do a second degree...my GPA is not absolutely abysmal but it certainty no where near competitive.....
Recommendations will vary depending on the calculated gpa.
Howard's mission is more specific than just the underserved.
The median MCAT for USUHS acceptees is 32 and the gpa is 3.7

Last edited by a moderator: