What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

Newusername

Hey SDN, You guys got me all the way to med school so now I'm hoping you can give me some good advice on what to do with my current conundrum....

I took a gap year before medical school and decided to work on my MBA at a big public university near me because I've always been interested in the business of medicine, so now I'm about half way done..... I start med school in August

Here's the problem, they don't offer enough courses during this summer and next summer (the only real time off I'll have from medicine in the near future) for me to finish the degree, so even if I took all the courses possible during that time I'd still end up 2-3 courses short of a MBA

I want to have stellar Comlex and Usmle scores and get involved in as many things as possible during med school so I think night classes during 2nd/3rd/4th year to finish an MBA at a school an hour of driving away from my med school could seriously cause issues

So what to do?

Stop after this semester and take advantage of all the med school opportunities and leave behind my half completed MBA or keep chugging along and get even more time/money invested and risk that I can't finish because of med school commitments?

I'd eventually want to go back and finish the MBA..... it might leave me open to a better program once I'm a doctor and finished residency plus it saves me $ in the short term or I can put it on hold and maybe finish at my current school if I match somewhere nearby..... lots of variables and possibilities

This is probably poorly written and slightly confusing but I'd love some ideas.....

(I posted this in Osteo because I am an OMS and because its more of a general school question than med business)

Members don't see this ad.

What's your school's time limit on the MBA? Many schools allow 7 years for a master's. Regardless, you will have to concentrate on med school and make your MBA a spare-time hobby. The time constraints in med school can be brutal through 3rd year (which is a reason most med students don't do any kind of research).

Hey SDN, You guys got me all the way to med school so now I'm hoping you can give me some good advice on what to do with my current conundrum....

I took a gap year before medical school and decided to work on my MBA at a big public university near me because I've always been interested in the business of medicine, so now I'm about half way done..... I start med school in August

Here's the problem, they don't offer enough courses during this summer and next summer (the only real time off I'll have from medicine in the near future) for me to finish the degree, so even if I took all the courses possible during that time I'd still end up 2-3 courses short of a MBA

I want to have stellar Comlex and Usmle scores and get involved in as many things as possible during med school so I think night classes during 2nd/3rd/4th year to finish an MBA at a school an hour of driving away from my med school could seriously cause issues

So what to do?

Stop after this semester and take advantage of all the med school opportunities and leave behind my half completed MBA or keep chugging along and get even more time/money invested and risk that I can't finish because of med school commitments?

I'd eventually want to go back and finish the MBA..... it might leave me open to a better program once I'm a doctor and finished residency plus it saves me $ in the short term or I can put it on hold and maybe finish at my current school if I match somewhere nearby..... lots of variables and possibilities

This is probably poorly written and slightly confusing but I'd love some ideas.....

(I posted this in Osteo because I am an OMS and because its more of a general school question than med business)

This is a very personal question and depends on you...

If you can finish it in the first two years, do it... It is possible to attend classes during first two years however, it requires EXTREME discipline on your part and it will reduce your free/relaxing time to Zero... If this means more to you than sleep then do it (I'm being serious about the sleep thing... you'll see :D)... I would definitely not take any classes during the first half of OMS-I (especially during Anatomy and while you are getting used to med school)... Maybe after that you can re-evaluate your options/dedication/abilities....

But you can pretty much forget about driving to night class 1hr each way and then sitting through class during 3rd year and first half of 4th year....

And to talk business, you have to estimate the monetary and opportunity costs associated with your decision, and then decide whether it's worth it or not.... and only YOU can answer this question....

How about night classes in last half of your fourth year. I'm a fourth yr now, and all my classmates have very easy rotations.