what to expect after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonny2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am married to an army ob/gyn resident and am in medical school myself. I am trying to plan my residency location/timing around his obligations. I need help! Here are my questions:

1. How long can you typically expect to stay where you get stationed after residency? (I am wondering if I can count on 3 years in a row to do my residency then)

2. When during your last year do you find out where you are going? (enough time for me to apply??)

3. How much, if any, choice do you typically have in where you end up?

I hope someone knows some of these answers, it would help me out a lot!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Typically you get stationed in one spot if you have a 3 or 4 year commitment. This is subject to change without notice due to "needs of whatever service", but generally, this is the case.
2. Match day is around Dec. 15th each year. You will apply before that and probably blow some $$ on interviews, but you can tailor your match list to his.
3.I assume you mean post-residency. You get a list of available slots, you rank them in order of preference, and then the Army puts you wherever the hell they want. Especially in primary care fields, where nearly everyone is undermanned. If you are asking about residency, that all depends on your specialty and whether or not you get a civilian deferral.

Hope this helps, Steve

The bottom line is you have little or no choice where you are going. Even if your husband has orders they can be changed. Your husband should find out the last year of residency where he will be stationed. The best you could do is try to match geographically to where he is stationed. Even if this occurs, he could still be deployed for a 12-15 months. My advice is go for the best opportunity even if it means being apart.

Last edited:
I found out initially where I was going in January of my last year of my residency. Then in late April, I found out I was going somewhere else (which was only about 8000 miles away from the first place). He may have some choice, but it will be limitted. The guys fresh out of residency have the last picks. The consultant will try to help you, but may have limitted slots. You may want to look for a residency program near a base that is not that desireable. Your husband needs to call the consultant today and find out what the billet picture is looking like now. Every year the same billets are on the bottom of the list. In pediatrics, there are always slots at Hood and Bragg. I don't know where they would be for OB/GYN. Once you know where he is likely to go, you could tailor your choices. One of you is likely going to have some serious travelling to do in any event. Here would be a few options: Ft. Hood -> San Antonio; Ft. Campbell -> Nashville; Ft. Drum -> Syracuse. In each of these, you would likely only have 1 residency program to choose from and then it's no guarantee that your husband would end up at that base.

Ed