What to improve before reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoKingsGo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

You've all been an incredible resource throughout my first application cycle. Now, maybe you can help me out in round 2. I think it's time to face the fact that I will not be getting any interviews this cycle; I'm looking to identify and correct the deficiencies in my application. Frankly, I don't even know what to try to address before I reapply. It's pretty average all around.

My stats:

CA resident
BS Microbiology, June 2014
3.58 sGPA
3.59 cGPA
- Grades showed a strong upward trend (as I started to care more and try harder) after sophomore year (best grades were in my upper div major classes).

38 MCAT (14VR, 10PS, 14BS)- Again, junior and senior year I was a different student. I worked really hard for that score and would hate to see it go to waste.

First 2 years of undergrad were a waste. The following is from junior and senior year:
-100 hours scribing in a primary care clinic (1 year)
-'Co-author credit on an abstract' for my role in a clinical research project at said clinic.
-300 hours volunteering as a research intern (1 year, non-medical field)
-50 hours volunteering in an animal shelter (1 year)

5 LOR
-Major Professor (3 classes)
-Writing Professor
-Research Supervisor
-Supervising Physician (scribing and research)
-Animal shelter supervisor
The two letters I have been allowed to read were extremely positive and I'm very grateful for them. The rest are probably less personal.

And that's it folks. White male, stable home life, rather uninteresting person. The only thing I really have going for me is that I genuinely love medicine, especially primary care, though my app doesn't necessarily reflect this. I applied to 28 MD schools-nothing but holds and rejections 2 months later.

So, what do I need to improve? I can spot some big flaws-

-Luke warm EC's. As my adviser put it, I did the "bare minimum".
-Complete lack of leadership experience. I didn't get involved in any clubs as an undergrad. (don't know what I can do about this now)
-I applied late. Thanks to some shenanigans in the Registrar's Office coupled with my own laziness, my transcripts weren't confirmed until August. I submitted secondaries from mid-August to late-September, with a few submitted as late as October.
-Sub-par GPA. (too late to fix)

During my gap year, I've gotten my EMT-B cert, taken CC classes, started tutoring, and continued scribing and volunteering in an animal shelter. I hope to start working as an EMT and clinical care volunteer soon. I hope applying early and "staying the course" will be enough to get me into an MD or DO program next cycle, but I would thoroughly appreciate any criticism or suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your "big flaws" are not big flaws. They are nitpicks. This is most likely a combination of lateness, California and school choice.

Whoever told you it's a good idea to include a letter from an animal shelter, don't take any more advice from that person. Don't use that letter again. Get a 2nd science faculty letter if you can.

You need to be completely ready to submit on June 1 next year. Don't screw around. You have 5.5 months. Start rewriting your PS now and get unfriendly older faculty to review it so you get good feedback. Research your schools very carefully - leave the OOS publics and Ivies alone, consider midwest, read obsessively.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with DrMidlife's suggestions.

You have a fantastic MCAT but a slightly below average GPA. However a strong trend looks good so you have that going with your grades. You do look like youve had the bare min of activities so really put a lot of time into doing EMT work as well as other clinical volunteering positions to really show that this is what you wanna do.

28 schools is a decent amount but I don't know your list so maybe outside of the UC schools you applied a little too top heavy or too many OOS public schools? Maybe apply to more private schools throughout the nation and only apply to a few OOS friendly state schools. Apply to 28+schools this time again if possible, and apply on the first day primaries open and pre-write every single secondary so you can send them in within the day they send it to you. Might as well be one of the very first applications in right?

Also all may not be lost this cycle. Send an update letter to schools who you haven't heard form mentioning any new activities since submission and other stuff you put in a LOI. For the most part they don't do anything but you never know who might read it and turn it into a positive into your app. The cycle goes all year until May so while it's wise to prepare for a reapp if necessary, don't go completely nuts because who knows what happens. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the responses, I really appreciate them. I will work on obtaining a second science letter and more clinical hours. And of course submit my next app as early as possible!