What to Include in Psy. D. SOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlaflgkr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I see that Psy. D. SOPs should focus more heavily on clinical, but still have some research component (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/psyd-personal-statement.576346/) and that most don't need to mention POIs in the SOPs even (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/should-psy-d-applicants-contact-a-poi.942530/), but I want a more comprehensive idea of how SOPs should look for Psy D programs. For my Ph. D. SOPs, I had a basic formula of: hook (1 paragraph)--research experience (3)--clinical experience (1)--research interest/POI/future direction (1), but how should Psy.D. SOPs look? More clinical hook (1)--research (1)--clinical (2)--research and clinical interest(1)(how do you even do this part with the clinical)? I am looking into Baylor.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking into Baylor as well. I'm an international student and I'm not use to writing this kind of essays so I need all the help I can get.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it really depends on what a specific school tells you to do. Sometimes, a school may request information that another school may not.

Thanks for the responses. Is anyone else having trouble with Baylor's separate essays for an autobiography ("Autobiography - CPSY Please include the following in your autobiography: your personal and family background and how these are related to your career choice, other factors that have led you to pursue a career in professional psychology, the strengths and weaknesses you bring to a career in professional psychology, what professional activities you would like to pursue after graduation") and a statement of purpose ("Please provide a statement of purpose and explain how the degree program to which you are applying will facilitate your academic and professional objectives.")? My autobiography (thanks to the bullet points under autobiography pretty much covering everything I would have expected to appear in a SOP) is 1200 words long while my statement of purpose barely reaches 300. Except Baylor's recent email said the SOP's are usually 2-3 pages long... and I'm like. How....

When I emailed Baylor about this, I received this email back:
"The autobiography is all about you – what you think affected your career choice, strengths and weaknesses and future goals. The personal statement is your statement on why you think the program is the fit for you and how you think the program benefits you and vice versa. The two may overlap some, because they are similar."​
Basically, the autobiography is the usual SOP without the "Why Baylor?" paragraph because that paragraph is expected to be a whole essay on its own? The only thing included pretty much for the personal statement according to this description is "How is Baylor a fit for you" (since how you benefit from Baylor and how Baylor benefits from you are just, how is Baylor a fit). I am completely clueless as to how people are managing anything over 2-3 paragraphs on this one. I'm so lost.

Thanks for the responses. Is anyone else having trouble with Baylor's separate essays for an autobiography ("Autobiography - CPSY Please include the following in your autobiography: your personal and family background and how these are related to your career choice, other factors that have led you to pursue a career in professional psychology, the strengths and weaknesses you bring to a career in professional psychology, what professional activities you would like to pursue after graduation") and a statement of purpose ("Please provide a statement of purpose and explain how the degree program to which you are applying will facilitate your academic and professional objectives.")? My autobiography (thanks to the bullet points under autobiography pretty much covering everything I would have expected to appear in a SOP) is 1200 words long while my statement of purpose barely reaches 300. Except Baylor's recent email said the SOP's are usually 2-3 pages long... and I'm like. How....

When I emailed Baylor about this, I received this email back:
"The autobiography is all about you – what you think affected your career choice, strengths and weaknesses and future goals. The personal statement is your statement on why you think the program is the fit for you and how you think the program benefits you and vice versa. The two may overlap some, because they are similar."​
Basically, the autobiography is the usual SOP without the "Why Baylor?" paragraph because that paragraph is expected to be a whole essay on its own? The only thing included pretty much for the personal statement according to this description is "How is Baylor a fit for you" (since how you benefit from Baylor and how Baylor benefits from you are just, how is Baylor a fit). I am completely clueless as to how people are managing anything over 2-3 paragraphs on this one. I'm so lost.
The personal statement would be about your academic and career stuff. Talk about your research and work experiences and how that work ties in. Mix in an anecdote or two from these areas to capture the essence of your drive to become a professional psychologist. in my essays I talked about my work in sales (cause I had no clinical experience) and my research on gender role stereotypes. In my personal I referred to growing up overseas and dysfunctional family stuff.

The personal statement would be about your academic and career stuff. Talk about your research and work experiences and how that work ties in. Mix in an anecdote or two from these areas to capture the essence of your drive to become a professional psychologist. in my essays I talked about my work in sales (cause I had no clinical experience) and my research on gender role stereotypes. In my personal I referred to growing up overseas and dysfunctional family stuff.

Thanks for your response! By the first personal statement (academic and career), you mean the SOP, correct? And for the latter personal, the actual personal statement (overseas and family)? So basically, it's like Berkeley's separation of a SOP (http://ls.berkeley.edu/files/statement_of_purpose.pdf) and a Personal History Statement (http://ls.berkeley.edu/files/personal_history.pdf)? You referred to personal twice but separately, so the clarification would help!

They all use different wording of course but from what I see the autobiographical would refer to non-professional info and the statement of purpose for research and career info. Hope that helps.