What to look for in a residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarveyCushing

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading the neuro forum for some time, but this is my first post. I am starting to get more interested in possibly doing a neuro residency and was wondering what you guys look for in a program. Besides the things that vary from person to person (location, closeness to family/friends, weather...etc.) what did you guys consider was important?

-Types of hospitals covered?
-Recognition of program?
-Research opportunities?
-Fellowship opportunities?
-# of graduates that go into fellowships?
-Whether most graduates went into pp vs. academic medicine?
-Variety of cases?
-Number of faculty? (researchers vs. actual clinicians)

What other variables would you guys recommended considering when looking at programs and figuring out what program is the best fit for an applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that what you call "the things that vary from person to person" are actually the most important factors -- if ya ain't happy, ya ain't learnin . . .

After those, it depends a lot on what your ultimate goals are. If you want to be a big time academic, you need to aim for a big time academic/research residency. If you just want to be a good private practice neurologist, you could still go to a big academic center, but any place that gives you a good case mix would be adequate.

Recognition, faculty size and "# of graduates that go on to fellowship" I think are the least important factors. "Recognition" is purely ego stroking -- it's only important if you think it is. Faculty size does not necessarily equate to "good" experience, and "graduates going to fellowship" is more dependent on their personal interests rather than any reflection of residency quality.

I think that what you call "the things that vary from person to person" are actually the most important factors -- if ya ain't happy, ya ain't learnin . . .

I completely agree, however those aspects of the equation are hard to measure and vary from person to person. The other things I mentioned are a little bit easier to determine through research, and make the selection process a little bit more objective. I just want to hear from those who have gone through the process or about to to learn what you guys though was important for your selection.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before even applying start thinking about what you see your self doing in 6-8 years—private practice/academia/ or the combination, as this will help you to figure our what types of opportunities/features particular programs offer (i.e. clinic time, research, elective time, NICU,INR, travel-abroad, teaching, fellow-run vs. resident run, aggressive vs. conservative management of certain patient presentations, masters/PhD opportunities) that pertains and best facilitate your own career aspirations.

With respect to deciding where you apply, it should be pretty much open which cities/climates you could realistically see yourself living in for the next least 3-4years.Things such as family/social support are also very important to some; however, others are willing to stick it out for 4 or more years, in favor of being at a program that best satisfy their individual needs.

Some practical things to consider are: YOUR GUT FEELING, call schedule, work hours, workload/ # of residents ratio, protected vacation/elective time, medical records: paper/electronic/or half and ½, collegiality among resident/faculty, quality of ancillary staff, patient population, affordability, flexibility (ie. maternity/paternity leave…)

Before even applying start thinking about what you see your self doing in 6-8 years—private practice/academia/ or the combination, as this will help you to figure our what types of opportunities/features particular programs offer (i.e. clinic time, research, elective time, NICU,INR, travel-abroad, teaching, fellow-run vs. resident run, aggressive vs. conservative management of certain patient presentations, masters/PhD opportunities) that pertains and best facilitate your own career aspirations.

With respect to deciding where you apply, it should be pretty much open which cities/climates you could realistically see yourself living in for the next least 3-4years.Things such as family/social support are also very important to some; however, others are willing to stick it out for 4 or more years, in favor of being at a program that best satisfy their individual needs.

Some practical things to consider are: YOUR GUT FEELING, call schedule, work hours, workload/ # of residents ratio, protected vacation/elective time, medical records: paper/electronic/or half and ½, collegiality among resident/faculty, quality of ancillary staff, patient population, affordability, flexibility (ie. maternity/paternity leave…)

Thanks for the great post. Keep them coming guys!