What to Major In

MajorTrouble

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm terribly confused about what I should major in during my undergrads. I took the SAT Subject Tests and got 790 in Biology (M) and 800 in Chemistry. I also got 2100 on the Reasoning test. Now I was thinking of majoring in Biochemistry; I really like the idea of learning more about the biological reactions controlling life. But I've heard that it's a really tough subject and I'm not sure whether I can handle it or not. There is really one way to find out, by actually giving it a try, but I was wondering whether my test scores are any indication for people actually familiar with Biochem. By the way, I intend to go to med school after my undergrads, so will Biochem help with that? Exactly how useful will it be for the MCATs?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You can major in anything. The MCAT has more than just bio and chem, so you will have to take a liberal selection of classes regardless. You can take the intro classes and see if you like it, many students change their majors, I believe you have until the end of soph year to actually be locked in to a major.

Reactions: 1 user
Major in something that interests you so that you're engaged and more likely to do well. You obviously have the aptitude and interest for science, so I think a science-based major would be a good choice. You'll come across many difficult courses in your undergrad studies - it's all about hard work and determination.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't really matter what your major is, especially since the MCAT is being revised to include many other subjects like sociology and psychology. An unusual major might be beneficial if it's something you like since medical schools are all about diversity now.
If you shoot for mastery of the material in your prerequisites (and As) instead of just As, you'll have a solid background from which to build when you start studying for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Major in something that interests you so that you're engaged and more likely to do well. You obviously have the aptitude and interest for science, so I think a science-based major would be a good choice. You'll come across many difficult courses in your undergrad studies - it's all about hard work and determination.

Agreed

The short answer is "anything" and the long answer is "anything that makes you happy and that you will do well in, because it doesn't matter as long as you take your pre-requisites and get good grades."

Thanks, all of you! I get it now, basically do what I like because then I'm more likely to do well. Got it. :)

Major in anything you want to major in, but you still have to take the pre-requisite courses for med school, and the MCAT, and if I'm not mistaken, biochem is gonna be a bigger part of the revised MCAT.

If you really like the sciences, go for it. For the new MCAT, you have to have Biochemistry anyway, so that major fits very well. You also have to take psychology and sociology now, so if you happen to fall in love with one of those subjects instead, don't be afraid to change. Med schools don't care what you major in, only that you have the required classes and a good GPA. Humanities majors have a higher mean MCAT score than science majors too :thumbup: (not biased or anything since I have a BA in Humanities)
Bottom line: Biochemistry is awesome, so do it if you love it, but keep an open mind your first year of college and don't be afraid to major in something other than science.

Is it possible to get into a really good medical school with a major in Biology? I've heard Chem and Biochem are the best for med school application but Bio majors tend to do the best in med school.

I'd major in whatever interests you and you can get good grades in.... majoring in Bio is generally over-rated, since either way you will do the pre-med courses.

Freshmen classes for Bio and Biochem majors are pretty similar, so you can change later on depending on how you like it. Either way Biochem class is much recommended (sometimes a requirement) for med school. Also keep in mind that Biochem major requires more math classes and physical chemistry is really tough.

Biochemistry or chemistry. Avoid biology. Everyone goes into biology so it's super overrated and not speaking for everyone but at my university the bio majors never get in and are pretty dur-da-dur. I mean seriously, who doesn't know how to pipette.

Biochemistry or chemistry. Avoid biology. Everyone goes into biology so it's super overrated and not speaking for everyone but at my university the bio majors never get in and are pretty dur-da-dur. I mean seriously, who doesn't know how to pipette.

Maybe that's more so an effect of the individual, not the major. I've met several people like that in my undergrad as well, but plenty of bio majors have gone on to top 10 med schools.