What to PT's call themselves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

super_fly

~ Lost in translation ~
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to get into that whole debate about who can call themselves doctors. I was just wondering what PT's call themselves? Do they just go informally and use their first name? ("hi I'm sandra, will be your PT for today..??). I was just wondering because I notice that Chiropractors have Dr. written before their names at their clinics, so i was wondering if that was common with PT as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Chiros have a doctorate, and most PTs do not, so you by Mr,Ms or your first name.

oh okay, i thought as much. Thanks for clarifying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a small addition, I dont know of any PT's who dont introduce themselves by their first name in a clinical setting, doctrate or otherwise.

I go by Miss Megboo - it's cute for the kids and informal enough for the adults. Actually, my patients started calling me that when I worked in the south, and I just got used to introducing myself that way.

P.S. I have a Master's, not doctorate.

OK, I stand corrected, although a last name like that works without creating formality!

Personally, If im going to go into $100,000 dollars in debt, to obtain a DOCTORATE degree in physical therapy, I will be referred to as "Dr. Lastname". The education is much more rigrious nowdays for the Doctorate degree. Most master programs were just 1 year post bachelor. You Earn a Doctorate therefor you ARE A DOCTOR period!

Personally, If im going to go into $100,000 dollars in debt, to obtain a DOCTORATE degree in physical therapy, I will be referred to as "Dr. Lastname". The education is much more rigrious nowdays for the Doctorate degree. Most master programs were just 1 year post bachelor. You Earn a Doctorate therefor you ARE A DOCTOR period!
Lol no one calls their PT doctor, maybe if you decide to teach your students will .. otherwise don't count on doing it and people playing along

It's only a matter of time before literally everyone that works in healthcare will demand to be called "doctor.":laugh:

Btw, solid bump.

Reactions: 1 user
Irony if you ask me. Physicians "borrowed" the doctor moniker from academic professors and then "borrowed" white lab coats from laboratory scientists, and now claim exclusive ownership of both.

I'm a PT with a clinical doctorate plus a residency and am now working on a post-professional doctorate and fellowship. I introduce myself by "first name, your physical therapist." I don't mention my credentials unless asked. I'm convinced patients care that they get improve, not what credentials and/or initials I have.

In a clinical setting, only certain people with a very specific educational and training background are known as doctors. It is confusing to patients for anyone without that very specific background to refer to themselves, or to anyone other than the physicians, as "doctor." My art history professor in undergrad had a PhD. At the university, everyone referred to her as Dr. So and So. If she is on a flight to Milan to curate an exhibit at a gallery and someone falls critically ill during the plane ride, she had better not offer her services as a "doctor" to the staff as they seek medical assistance for that sick passenger.

See the distinction?

PT's get doctorate degrees now as their terminal certification to practice. Awesome. Let one of them go to a garden party and start introducing herself around as Dr. Jane Doe. Once the other guests begin to ask where she went to medical school, she will get the picture why such an introduction is ridiculous. It is confusing to others because the conventional understanding of who are doctors are those with medical degrees. Anyone can get a doctorate nowadays, but it is still widely understood that "doctors" are those who have the credentials to practice medicine.

Irony if you ask me. Physicians "borrowed" the doctor moniker from academic professors and then "borrowed" white lab coats from laboratory scientists, and now claim exclusive ownership of both.

FWIW, many physicians are, in fact, lab scientists, and/or have a background in laboratory science. Nearly every accredited fellowship for physicians requires lab research of the fellows. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it. But, seriously, if you feel like the lab coat and title are arbitrary anyway, what's the issue with NP's, PA's, DPT's, or others, not getting the arbitrary indicators for themselves?

FWIW, many physicians are, in fact, lab scientists, and/or have a background in laboratory science. Nearly every accredited fellowship for physicians requires lab research of the fellows. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it. But, seriously, if you feel like the lab coat and title are arbitrary anyway, what's the issue with NP's, PA's, DPT's, or others, not getting the arbitrary indicators for themselves?

OK, but that is not true of physicians 100 or so years ago when they first started wearing lab coats, and 95+% of physicians now never set foot in a lab.

I honestly don't care one way or another. I just think the whole debate (from both sides) is kind of lame. The physicians who argue against others using the title "doctor" claim it is a patient safety/confusion issue, and I understand, appreciate and agree to a certain extent, but it's largely disingenuous to me. It is also that many want an exclusive title and the status it brings. I am a male nurse, and I work with female physicians, and often when we walk into a patients room together, the family and/or patient (if they haven't met me yet) think I'm the physician and she is the nurse. Should we ban female physicians and male nurses so patients don't get confused? As a student RN, then as an RN, and now as an NP student, I get called "doctor" constantly, even after I correct patients. In the hospital, patients see various physicians, PT, OT, RT, rad techs, speech, nurses, lab techs, and chaplains and most don't know who is who already, even when the person introduces themselves properly. And honestly, if I were a patient, I would want to know if the person caring for me had a doctorate, medical or not, including PT, speech, nurses, etc.

Where I work, most physicians don't even wear lab coats, but most RT's do, and even some of our chaplains do. In my NP clinicals, I have now had two physicians specifically tell me they wanted me to wear a lab coat after showing up my first day without one. And I hate lab coats. :)

The "other side" (i.e. nurses) says they want to be able to use the title to demonstrate their level of education to patients and to have a doctorate to have parity with OT, PT, pharmacists, speech, optometry, etc.). I understand and appreciate that too. But is also is largely disingenuous -- many want to convey parity with physicians.

I dunno. To me, there are much bigger fish to fry.

Last edited:
. It is confusing to patients for anyone without that very specific background to refer to themselves, or to anyone other than the physicians, as "doctor." ... It is confusing to others because the conventional understanding of who are doctors are those with medical degrees.

Yeah, I get it. This is not a new debate on this board, in fact it is a quite old debate. I've heard all of the arguments before. The problem is how you would draw the line around "very specific background." You attempt to do that by saying "...those with medical degrees." Optometrists call themselves "doctor" but don't have medical degrees, yet work alongside ophthalmologists that do. Same with many clinical psychologists, working alongside psychiatrists. And neither have credentials to practice medicine.

Anyone can get a doctorate nowadays, but it is still widely understood that "doctors" are those who have the credentials to practice medicine.

PA's and NP's, however, do have credentials to practice medicine.

. It is confusing to patients for anyone without that very specific background to refer to themselves, or to anyone other than the physicians, as "doctor." ... It is confusing to others because the conventional understanding of who are doctors are those with medical degrees.

Yeah, I get it. This is not a new debate on this board, in fact it is a quite old debate. I've heard all of the arguments before. The problem is how you would draw the line around "very specific background." You attempt to do that by saying "...those with medical degrees." Optometrists call themselves "doctor" but don't have medical degrees, yet work alongside ophthalmologists that do. Same with many clinical psychologists, working alongside psychiatrists. And neither have credentials to practice medicine.

Anyone can get a doctorate nowadays, but it is still widely understood that "doctors" are those who have the credentials to practice medicine.

PA's and NP's do have credentials to practice medicine.

I appreciate your points and recognize that this is an old debate. That said, you overlooked my illustration about my art professor and being on a plane when someone falls ill. If a crew member asks if there is a doctor available to assist with an ill or injured individual, PT's and OD's and PsyD's are not going to be jumping up to help in that situation. Why not? I think it is obvious. And if the distinction is so obvious to everyone else, why must it be so confusing for DNP's?

Even if DNP's or PA's could help in such a situation (as could an EMT or RN), everyone still recognizes what and who is being asked for.

I am a male nurse, and I work with female physicians, and often when we walk into a patients room together, the family and/or patient (if they haven't met me yet) think I'm the physician and she is the nurse. Should we ban female physicians and male nurses so patients don't get confused?

The logic here does not follow, and it does not address the point I made about confusing others. I said It is confusing to others because the conventional understanding of who are doctors are those with medical degrees. Not that the conventional understanding of doctors is that they are males. Also, that would depend on your context in medicine. >80% of new OB/Gyn docs are women, so your assertion about doctors and males doesn't follow. However, those female physicians would still fit the actual conventional understanding of who are and who aren't doctors. They still have medical degrees. DNP's, PT's, PA's, SLP's, OT's, OD's do not.

Last edited: